Paper or Woven HandTowels in Puublic Restrooms?

christraveller

I remember reading when last we sailed on SB, that passengers are encouraged to use their own bathrooms instead of the public restrooms to better avoid catching an illness of some sort.  And, when you ARE in a public restroom, you are encouraged to NOT touch the door handles after washing your hands and use a paper towel to open the door, placing the towel in the trashcan as you leave.  We try to avoid the public restrooms due to this admonition and used them only very occasionally.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I remember reading when last we sailed on SB, that passengers are encouraged to use their own bathrooms instead of the public restrooms to better avoid catching an illness of some sort.  And, when you ARE in a public restroom, you are encouraged to NOT touch the door handles after washing your hands and use a paper towel to open the door, placing the towel in the trashcan as you leave.  We try to avoid the public restrooms due to this admonition and used them only very occasionally.  

Always a good idea to use a paper towel to open a bathroom door when possible.  Ships, restaurants, bars, etc.  It's nice when they have a wastepaper basket right there at the door so you don't have to figure out where to get rid of the towel.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SLSD said:

That's because some passengers exit the washrooms without pausing at the sinks on their way out apart from to fluff their hair 😠 they then stroll to the Colonnade touching bannisters, elevator buttons and door handles as they go, breeze past the hand sanitisers and straight to the buffet where they touch all the implements I want to use 😱🤢🤢.

The second time I saw this particular passenger try to do this (this was pre - Covid) I told her she was old enough to know that she should wash her hands before leaving the bathroom and after huffing and puffing she did so 😂.

Joking aside, I never touch the bathroom door handles after I have washed my hands except with a paper towel, rarely take the elevator and don't use the bannisters on the stairs - you would think after the last 3 years people would be more fastidious with this element of personal hygiene but sadly, I continue to see it happen (or not.)

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

That's because some passengers exit the washrooms without pausing at the sinks on their way out apart from to fluff their hair 😠 they then stroll to the Colonnade touching bannisters, elevator buttons and door handles as they go, breeze past the hand sanitisers and straight to the buffet where they touch all the implements I want to use 😱🤢🤢.

One reason we avoid the buffets while onboard. 

• Like 1

We just returned from an Encore voyage. The public restrooms had both cloth and paper towels. 

I certainly agree with all those who have posted above; the bathroom in your own suite should be your first choice for any purpose!

• Like 1

I prefer paper towels from a dispenser, people have a tendency to drip water on a stack of cloth towels. Seabourn cruisers were a notch above others in the hygiene department. The Colonnade on our Quest cruise was the only buffet that I have used that did not have a sticky serving utensil. I never caught anyone licking his fingers there, either.