Anyone Had to Cancel Cruise Only a Week Away?

CM1984

Hello,

It may be we will need to cancel our April 1 cruise, based on severe back issues of my DH at the moment.  We do have Platinum insurance, but can we change the cruise to another without losing 10% of our payment?

TIA

Sad in Va

25 minutes ago, CM1984 said:

Hello,

It may be we will need to cancel our April 1 cruise, based on severe back issues of my DH at the moment.  We do have Platinum insurance, but can we change the cruise to another without losing 10% of our payment?

TIA

Sad in Va

This was me in Feb - I had to cancel one week before our cruise for a severe back issue.  If you booked with a TA notify them ASAP;  if with HAL notify them. I would do it by phone and email. You can ask for a FCC but it is not set forth as an option in the terms of the insurance you purchased so not sure if they will grant this to you.     Because your insurance is cancel for any reason I don't think you will need a doctor's note. I had private insurance so I did.  You get the port fees and any excursions you paid for and extras - like internet, dining reservations, crew appreciation etc. back from HAL right away since you are canceling prior to the start of the cruise.   The remainder is the cruise fare and any flights you booked with HAL.  On the HAL website it tells you how to file a claim.  Sorry to hear this - it is quite a bummer but having been there, there was no way I could have gone on our cruise.  BTW the epidural worked wonders for me allowing me to function until my surgery.     

• Like 1

You definitely don’t need a doctors note.  That’s what is really good about this insurance.  No hassles.  If you do cancel please come back and let us know if you were able to apply the 10 percent to another cruise.  I’m sure that would be very helpful to a number of people.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Good Morning!  Well, due to back issues, we had to cancel our cruise for April 1-7….😢

DH decided he did not want to try and rebook, so with the Platinum insurance, we will get 90% back.  Now I caution you all on this:

if you have used gift cards to purchase anything (except cruise payments), go in and cancel ALL items you have purchased BEFORE you cancel the cruise.  If you do, you will get back full value of gift card as another gift card.  If you DO NOT cancel the gift card purchases before cancelling the cruise, you will only get back the percentage allowed on your insurance.(at least that is what the HA Agent said)

We have platinum insurance, 90% of cruise cost we get back; and 90% of gift cards……..   Bummer

I hope this helps in the future….

Mimi, Virginia