Live from the MSC Virtuosa 4/7

Lena11033

I missed posting yesterday as I was a little busy. 

Day three was Hamburg and a lot got off but think even more got on it sounds like we’re at about 5,700 people if I heard the worker correctly. I didn’t get off, I’ve been stressed recently so just wanted to take it easy.

For breakfast I had the eggs Benedict which was really good. After which I ventured off for a walk and the weather was ‘better’ today not great but warmer. Plus I had a nice quiet deck to walk. But lots of smoke we thought it was dog but some people got alerts on their phone later about a fire. After my walk headed to virtuosa lounge to people watch and have a couple of drinks by which point it was lunch and headed back to the YC. 
For lunch I had a salad, pasta and a trio of Italian deserts. I’m finding the dishes I’m enjoying the best are the Italian ones, not that the others aren’t good but sometimes they aren’t made in the traditional manner. 

After lunch I headed for a walk outside then to the lounge for some reading and drinks. I met up with the French guy who sits at the dinner table next to me who had ventured into the city. He’d said everything was shut for Easter Sunday so he’d just walked around for a bit as the stores were shut. 

For dinner they had a lot of seafood options so I had scallops to start and then the lobster followed by the Italian Easter dove cake. The lobster compared to what I had on Celebrity a few weeks back was at least twice the size so I was happy. 

After dinner I headed to the galleria to watch the Dome show and then the theatre production which was good. Although felt bad when before she had even finished people were up and leaving mid song. 
That was it for the day lots of relaxing but very enjoyable. 

961BAC60-1940-4E41-844D-30668356D7C1.jpeg

CC7476F1-6F54-4E3A-8077-1D89DB4666E2.jpeg

C7EDBA5C-1B50-465E-BACF-2C57925D2B1F.jpeg

759F5C40-DCAC-42F6-9F9E-5CC67E8DE7C8.jpeg

0FBB3C9A-1530-4274-A779-E71458A82E83.jpeg

C0D7E6EF-47EF-4F78-A083-1DEBC47B048B.jpeg

3B61F66F-196C-49EE-992D-9B6BA87BC637.jpeg

46D9DD5E-B367-48FF-8C8D-2699A8AD8B03.jpeg

401DDD67-CB5B-478F-BEAC-35A45E5CBF94.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

they still haven’t announced anything at least not from what I’ve seen. But yeah I would prefer Amsterdam too as I’ve never been. I have an excursion for Rotterdam that is to take me to Amsterdam and then after that I can do my own thing...

Still waiting for the update to Southampton schedule with times.

It was on Tues they notified passengers on our cruise.

11 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Still waiting for the update to Southampton schedule with times.

It was on Tues they notified passengers on our cruise.

yeah when the French guy asked the concierge about France it was a ‘we are not stopping but we don’t have an update’. Unless I missed it they haven’t told people, I told him about Amsterdam because he was getting off in Le Havre to go to Lyon so he kinda needs to know what’s happening to change his train tickets. 

I mean it’s the fault of the strike but maybe not worth having that stop for a few weeks and just plan it that way because it seems like planning for Le Havre and last minute changes is more stress for everyone 

2 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

they still haven’t announced anything at least not from what I’ve seen. But yeah I would prefer Amsterdam too as I’ve never been. I have an excursion for Rotterdam that is to take me to Amsterdam and then after that I can do my own thing. 

I haven’t been to the buffet at all. Just the Hola Tacos once and that’s been it everything else I’ve stayed in the YC for. 

So you may end up doing Amsterdam twice! 😅

if you can ascertain that you are definitely going to Amsterdam and not Le Havre, 

you could consider changing your existing excursion to medieval Ghent at Rotterdam and then do your own thing in Amsterdam. 
The MSC Ghent trip is worthwhile and it’s beautiful there.

13 minutes ago, ConnieTact said:

So you may end up doing Amsterdam twice! 😅

if you can ascertain that you are definitely going to Amsterdam and not Le Havre, 

you could consider changing your existing excursion to medieval Ghent at Rotterdam and then do your own thing in Amsterdam. 
The MSC Ghent trip is worthwhile and it’s beautiful there.

that’s the thing on the ship they haven’t confirmed anything. I’m certain based on what’s been posted online but on the ship itself there isn’t really anything posted anywhere about Amsterdam. I’m presuming the app will probably not get update as it still shows France. 

17 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

that’s the thing on the ship they haven’t confirmed anything. I’m certain based on what’s been posted online but on the ship itself there isn’t really anything posted anywhere about Amsterdam. I’m presuming the app will probably not get update as it still shows France. 

When we were in our last cruise, uncertain of changed itinerary, I asked at the excursion desk in the Galleria-although I guess YC concierge may do this for you. They seem well informed because they have to plan alternative excursions etc. 
Maybe MSC are hoping the industrial action will cease and they can keep to their original plans?
As you said, it would be easier if they just skipped Le Harve for a while and made firm plans. This would be hard for people planning to board in France, getting coached all the way to Amsterdam! 

I haven’t been down to the excursions desk I know they had signs for Southampton and Rotterdam nothing else. I did try concierge to see what they say and the response was ‘the captain will do an announcement when we know what port we are going to’ 😆

As Rotterdam is tomorrow you’d hope for an announcement soon. 

I need to keep an eye on the Southampton arrival  then 2 French ports, one another Thurs.

I think they did update the app once they decided.

Looking at posts on FB it must have been announced in the afternoon first one i can find is 15:30.

They only have till the end of the month then they start the UK summer season
4 more scheduled stops in France after this week  19(CH),20(LH),26(LH) 29(CH) then just  Preziosa 3 May until Oct

It is frustrating not knowing for sure but if they have said no France there are not a lot of options as they still have to sort out the passengers that are Le Havre and the other close options have ships in

No problem. The captain said a ship had cancelled which was why we were able to get in 

forgot to add once they did the announcement the app was update with new port and excursions 

Edited by Lena11033

That explains it,  at least I can now turn up for 10am to try and board

will look at  our scheduled stop later.

Now I need to find out where Britannia is going as I am nosey.

Wonder if they have been told yet as their  cruise leaves tomorrow.

I am very interested to see what they will do if next Thursday’s (20/4) Le Havre stop doesn’t go ahead what they will do. 

(A) Leave Cherbourg as planned on the Wednesday and have an extra day at sea meandering around the English Channel.

(B) Remain in Cherbourg an extra night and head across to Southampton at snails pace on Thursday eve/night.

(C) Heading back eastwards isn’t much of an option as Zeebrugge will have been done already and Rotterdam/Amsterdam will be deemed to far to get back to Southampton the next morning - unless you cruised there back at 20knts maybe it would be possible but very costly. It takes DFDS about 18 hours to do Ijmuiden Newcastle at an average of 18 knts and they have a 3

hr headstart at Ijmuiden. Rotterdam maybe possible if they specifically want to go to a destination. 

54 minutes ago, Horn Blast said:

I am very interested to see what they will do if next Thursday’s (20/4) Le Havre stop doesn’t go ahead what they will do. 

(A) Leave Cherbourg as planned on the Wednesday and have an extra day at sea meandering around the English Channel.

(B) Remain in Cherbourg an extra night and head across to Southampton at snails pace on Thursday eve/night.

(C) Heading back eastwards isn’t much of an option as Zeebrugge will have been done already and Rotterdam/Amsterdam will be deemed to far to get back to Southampton the next morning - unless you cruised there back at 20knts maybe it would be possible but very costly. It takes DFDS about 18 hours to do Ijmuiden Newcastle at an average of 18 knts and they have a 3

hr headstart at Ijmuiden. Rotterdam maybe possible if they specifically want to go to a destination. 

I feel like recently there have been routes with the Wednesday in Cherbourg. I’m not sure but I feel like they went to Zeebrugge on the Thursday. Of course depends if the port is available 

1 hour ago, Horn Blast said:

If the french strike say just Thurs 20th

They can't stay in Cherbourg, they can't use Le Harvre.

They still have Le Have passengers so will probably have to stay on mainland Europe and port somewhere and give enough time to get the Le Harvre passengers to the port Thurs.

Then which of those ports has capacity on 20th 

Rotterdam AidaPrima

Zeebrugge Available (due 18th)

Shuffle of ports causes disruption with the multi embark Including Zeebrugge on the 18th.

There may be the option to cancel Cherbourg and LeHarve and return to the northern options like adding Amsterdam.

Repeat of Zeebrugge has been done twice.

I called msc yesterday as I'm on the 24th 3 nighter which stops in le Harve and asked them what would they do. They said if Le Harve was shut then they would try for Zeebrugge as closer to Southampton but couldn't definitely tell me yes or no as they don't know either and or if they can get in to Zeebrugge.

I've tried looking everywhere to see when the next strike dates will be but the French don't seem to tell anyone till the last minute. 

Apart from port swaps I hope you are enjoying your cruise Lena11033.  

Edited by Cruiseforever11

46 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

I called msc yesterday as I'm on the 24th 3 nighter which stops in le Harve and asked them what would they do. They said if Le Harve was shut then they would try for Zeebrugge as closer to Southampton but couldn't definitely tell me yes or no as they don't know either and or if they can get in to Zeebrugge.

I've tried looking everywhere to see when the next strike dates will be but the French don't seem to tell anyone till the last minute. 

Apart from port swaps I hope you are enjoying your cruise Lena11033.  

Is your cruise showing as being in £?

As far as I can tell the changeover from € is to be 21st with new bar prices happening then.

Zeebrugge is available 26th.

11 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

Is your cruise showing as being in £?

As far as I can tell the changeover from € is to be 21st with new bar prices happening then.

Zeebrugge is available 26th.

As far as I am aware it's in pounds yes. I booked knowing the changeover would be around mid April as there is 6 of us 3 who have never cruised so trying to keep it simple for them. It was the same last year.

To be honest I'd rather go to Zeebrugge and go to Bruges. We were going to hirer a six seater out if in le Harve but not going to bother now due to all uncertainty. Even if we end up with a sea day I'm still on a cruise even if it's up and down the English channel! Plus the 3 will get to experience a sea day if that happens.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cruiseforever11 said:

As far as I am aware it's in pounds yes. I booked knowing the changeover would be around mid April as there is 6 of us 3 who have never cruised so trying to keep it simple for them. It was the same last year.

To be honest I'd rather go to Zeebrugge and go to Bruges. We were going to hirer a six seater out if in le Harve but not going to bother now due to all uncertainty. Even if we end up with a sea day I'm still on a cruise even if it's up and down the English channel! Plus the 3 will get to experience a sea day if that happens.

I think what's happened is the storm heading up the channel(7m peak swells) has delayed Britannia leaving Southampton resulting in the cancellation at Zeebrugge which is good for Virtuosa.

I think they have to dock to do the Le harve passenger changeover.

Maybe none on your cruise.

There is a quick train to Bruges from the station 20min walk.

Many use the tram(7min walk) to Blankenburg and train or bus from there.

Edited by insidecabin
  • Like 1

If next week Cherbourg (Weds) and Le Havre (Thurs) can’t be done I really can see them probably doing an extra night in Zeebrugge and a sea day (Thurs).

Other than that it’s heading to the Netherlands but they will have to put there foot down to get back to Sth’ on the Friday. 

5 minutes ago, Horn Blast said:

If next week Cherbourg (Weds) and Le Havre (Thurs) can’t be done I really can see them probably doing an extra night in Zeebrugge and a sea day (Thurs).

Other than that it’s heading to the Netherlands but they will have to put there foot down to get back to Sth’ on the Friday. 

That would mean those scheduled to get off in Le Havre have to get off a day early or late or cancel getting on this week.

There is also a 1n scheduled for the 20th from Le Havre 

43 minutes ago, insidecabin said:

That would mean those scheduled to get off in Le Havre have to get off a day early or late or cancel getting on this week.

There is also a 1n scheduled for the 20th from Le Havre 

Yes I have noticed the one brighter from Le Havre but surely that would ultimately be cancelled. No other French port options obviously, Netherlands probably too far - I doubt they would sit in Zeebrugge for 3 nights to cover the French stops.