Which of these Seattle hotels would you do for several days pre-cruise?

crooooze

Hyatt House Downtown directly across from the Needle or Hampton Inn Seattle Downtown?

Hampton Inn is about $30/night cheaper, but seems to have a longer walk to and from everything.

TIA

Edited by crooooze

• crooooze changed the title to Which of these Seattle hotels would you do for several days pre-cruise?
43 minutes ago, crooooze said:

Hyatt House Downtown directly across from the Needle or Hampton Inn Seattle Downtown?

Hampton Inn is about $30/night cheaper, but seems to have a longer walk to and from everything.

TIA

5 minutes ago, parachutes63 said:

Are you a military veteran? Hyatt offers a veteran rate.

So does the Hampton as well as most Hilton properties.

Neither of those hotels are actually downtown although several hotels use the term. The Hyatt is in a better location across from the Seattle Center and access to the monorail for 3-minute transportation downtown which puts you close to Pike Place Market. The rates you posted are actually pretty good for cruise season.  There are also a ton of good restaurants within a 10 minute walk of the hotel in Belltown along 1st & 2nd Aves.

• Like 1

In terms of product, I think Hyatt House is a nicer property, in most locations, than Hampton Inn.  Honestly, the location of the Hyatt House is much better for seeing touristy things by foot.  I'd stay there in a heartbeat.  I thought my wife and I had at some time in the past few years, but she said she was sure that we hadn't.  You can't spit without hitting a hotel in Seattle, except maybe in the more residential neighborhoods like West Seattle or Magnolia.

Being close to the Seattle Center is a plus, but there are other things to see and do in Seattle and you'll likely not want to hoof it to all the other things you might be interested in seeing.  That means you'll be using Uber or Lyft quite a bit.  And I do recommend the carshare services because they are cleaner and more reliable than cabs.  As for using public transit, Seattle's system is a rather disconnected mess.  Lots of busses, some light rail they are developing, but it doesn't really go everywhere you may want to go, there is also a street car, but same thing, it doesn't necessarily take you where you want to go.  It isn't a nice system, either in terms of being tourist friendly or friendly for the commuting locals.

Have a great cruise and enjoy Seattle.

• Like 2