02/28 Spirit Review Part 1

davidt1968

I want to start this review in stating this was not a perfect cruise. There were very high points, but there were very big disappointments as well. I don't want to rush this review, so i'll be specific on as many points as possible.

Ship & Crew

The ship was in above average condition. Here's what I learned on the drydock. Hall carpets were replaced & Prop/Motor work was done. New carpet smell was noticable. The bedding was nice, but in my opinion, not worth the money they want for it. Lots of sanding/staining on the Lido deck going on during the cruise. I found it tacky this was going on during peak times when people are eating. Not the best smell while trying to eat or simply enjoy the scenery. I just don't see that the drydock was utiized to it's fullest extent. The paint on the outside of the ship was a bit rough as well. Maybe my expectations were just too high, especially knowing I was the third cruise after a drydock. Overall grade of ship: B

The crew was simply incredible to me & my family. I had birthday decorations & gifts delivered to the stateroom via Formalities. It was perfect. Very well laid out. They had the docorations hanging from all over the room, and placed the gifts for my wife on the bed very nice. Our Cabin Steward, Daniel (deck 8 Aft/Portside) was great. He took care of everything. I tipped him in cash along the way during the cruise. The Dining staff was wonderful, as well as everyone in the La Playa Buffet. Had the Birthday cake done in the Dining Room & that was very nice. The Supper Club was just perfect. Not as nice in decor as the one on the Pride, but the food was just as good.

Please note: My viewpoint is this.... Crew Members on ships are doing they're jobs, and most do them very well. Yes, the pampering is wonderful, and extra tips are mostly in order. The problem is this. There are unfortunatly some passengers that have a attitude that these people are they're servents. I don't care if you stay on the Riviera Deck Inside Cabin or the Panarama Deck Suite, It give nobody the right that they are better as human beings. In closing on this subject, the staff falls under being human being as well. They are just doing the job at hand.

Grade of the Spirit Crew: A

Any Specific Questions about the Ship & Crew, feel free to ask.

David

Carnival Spirit: 02/2006

NCL Star: 09/2005

Carnival Paradise: 04/2005

Carnival Pride: 09/2004

Carnival Elation: 06/2003

I I had birthday decorations & gifts delivered to the stateroom via Formalities. It was perfect. Very well laid out. They had the docorations hanging from all over the room

What is "formalities" and how do I contact them?

THANKS

I I had birthday decorations & gifts delivered to the stateroom via Formalities. It was perfect. Very well laid out. They had the docorations hanging from all over the room

What is "formalities" and how do I contact them?

THANKS

I actually arrainged the decorations via the Carnival Website. Then, while on the ship, I purchased a watch and perfume from the store. Next door to the store is Formalities. It's where you would rent a tux or buy some higher end gifts. You can arrainge everything through Formalites for delivery purposes to your stateroom. I also purchaced 2 large Carnival Beach towels through Formalities for gifts. Hope this helps.

David

Also, Part 2 of my review will be covering Food & Entertainment/Activities

Part 3 will cover Shore Excursions/Ports/Fellow Passengers

Hope to have this all done in the next couple of days.

David,

We were on the Spirit the cruise before you. It was our second time aboard the Spirit and we were also disappointed.

Great cabin steward and waiter in dining room. The new carpets and fabrics looked nice. But I was surprised that our balcony white plastic furniture had not be cleaned during drydock--dirty :(

It was very cold 3 of the four sea days... :(

It was an enlightening experience--we decided this is our last Carnival cruise. Having cruised on HAL and Celebrity recently, we realized we've come to expect more--just a matter of personal preferences.

It was very cold 3 of the four sea days... :(

It was an enlightening experience--we decided this is our last Carnival cruise. Having cruised on HAL and Celebrity recently, we realized we've come to expect more--just a matter of personal preferences.

You do realize this is not Carnivals fault :cool: !

jckvpa0,

Weather comment was just that-- a passing comment--in no way did I indicate that I blamed Carnival for the cold weather. (David had mentioned weather in his report and I mentioned we encountered the same thing the cruise before his.)

It's usually quite cool on the first and last sea days on Mexican Riviera cruise this time of the year, this time, both return sea days were exceptionally cold...it happens.

Have a nice day....:)

Thanks David,

Hurry with the rest. We are sailing on the Spirit April 2007 Hawaii to Vancouver and can't wait to hear more.

About the weather, we sailed the Miracle Feb 12 from Tampa and it was COLD! Even Tampa was cold. Not Carnival's fault but we were still disappointed. No one could use the pools on the first sea day. Very windy embarkation and the 1st sea day. Still cool by the time we reached Grand Cayman and our excursion swimming with the stingrays was canceled due to rough seas and wind.

We have sailed in Feb before to basically the same areas and the weather was beautiful. Mother Nature doesn't always hear our plea for sunshine and heat!

Again, looking forward to the rest of your review of the Spirit.

I generally do not comment on negative posts. I have several hundred posts on here you are welcome to review. For those of us booked on or intrested in the Spirit, we now know you didn't like your cruise. You have posted it every where possible. I certainly think weve gotten the point. Let it rest.

On that note I cruised the Spirit last April, will cruise her again in 26 days and have a group of over 90 booked on her in 2007. Obviously we loved her.

I am sorry you had a bad experience. Certainly you can go post on HAL or Celebrity and let your bad experience on the Spirit become a memory.

I look forward to the rest of davidt's review.

Archived