River Wine Cruise

3Shelaghs

I''ve read the preamble on web sites, but want a cruisers experiance. What do we expect? What makes this river cruise different from the usual river cruises?

I've not seen any changes in ports, but have seen small print that states "there could be changes to itinerary due to wine cruise".

If you take a vineyard tour, does the wine expert come along?

How many wine tastings? Is the wine on offer really any good?

There are so many cruise lines, so many rivers. Which line, which cruise?

You don't say where you are, but if you are in the USA look at the American Wine Society website. They organise an annual river cruise with a wine experts, plus often a winery owner and have a very wine focused tour. The boat is operated by a regular cruise company

I did one with AMA in 2019 on the Danube (well the honest it was more I ended up on one, I dont drink wine).

change in port, we didnt do one  (Bratislava) and either did a wine related port or just stayed there longer with a few extra wine related excursions

Onboard talks about wine

Tastings

Wine host provided the cruise to do the above who will have brought wine from his winery with him (in my case he was from a California winery) who also bought local wines from the ports we were with (he however was born in Germany).  These wines were available at dinner and the wine host would generally have chosen the pairings, not the kitchen.

As for your questions about the host going on a wine excursion, yes he probably does but remember you are talking about a ship of 144-196 people depending...hes not going to be with every group even on the same excursion.

Edited by CastleCritic
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 4:36 PM, 3Shelaghs said:

If you take a vineyard tour, does the wine expert come along?

How many wine tastings? Is the wine on offer really any good

1) All the ones I have been on a representative of the winery, sometimes it's the owner, conducts the tour and gives the tastings.

2) How many tasting depends on the tour. Only you can judge whether a wine is good for you, but the really world class wines don't take visitors who come by bus. However, some highly rated wineries do take cruise groups. Viking have dinner with wine at Ch Kirwan, the 3rd Growth winery in the Margaux appellation of Bordeaux. If you get on the right bus with Scenic you go to Chateau Lafaurie-Peyraguey, and taste their 1st Growth Sauternes wine.

It really depends on the cruise. @2012_Alaska_bound has just reported on an AMA wine cruise in Bordeaux on this forum, perhaps he'll answer your questions.

Mike Owen, owner of Crystal Basin Winery in the Sierra Foothills in California was our wine host on the 7 day Ama cruise. He held two onboard talks and worked with the chef to provide a pairing dinner. We tasted some of the Crystal Basin wines, but as I mentioned in my review, he had prepared and sent wines for a Rhone cruise 3 years ago.

Mike and his wife went on all the excursions, but did not lead them. The guides at the wineries we visited were excellent, and each area had something new to taste and learn about.

Passengers bought wine along the way and would often bring out a bottle to share before dinner.

Each day there was at least one excursion on offer that did not involve wine tasting.

Looking into doing a Rhone wine tasting cruise.

Here is my full review:

Edited by 2012_Alaska_bound