Hot Glass Classes

Cruisingirl2012

1 hour ago, bucky0926 said:

Yes, if you could supply the approximate dimensions that would be helpful.  I have quite a while until this cruise and am sure I will order something from Amazon that would be appropriate to take it home in.  Would be heartbroken if it broke.

We are on a ski trip at Lake Tahoe this weekend. When I get back, I'll take the measurements and post them. Ideally you would get measurements from others that also made the wavy bowl because there's going to be some variation with these custom handmade pieces. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaroleSS said:

@mahdnc I would love to make the tumblers, but am concerned about the thickness of the sides. Are they thin enough to actually use as a drinking glass?

Your creations are beautiful!

Thank you.  I believe my wife and daughter made and use the tumblers. I'll ask them for their opinion.  

12 hours ago, CaroleSS said:

@mahdnc I would love to make the tumblers, but am concerned about the thickness of the sides. Are they thin enough to actually use as a drinking glass?

Your creations are beautiful!

I just talked to my wife and daughter and the verdict is that the tumblers are definitely too thick to use as drinking glasses.  Form over function problem.  One is being used to hold things (kitchen utensils or something like that).  The other one is being used in a purely ornamental capacity.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 6:04 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I made the tidal wave vase shown in yellow and white (far left in picture above).  Be sure you talk with the person about the colors you want because they don't necessarily look like the colors in the bowls.  The vase I made turned out more brown than I would have wanted as I was going for red like in the heart in the picture above.  I still like it a lot but wont be using it for the holidays like I originally planned. Here's a couple pictures.  The blue piece was one that we commissioned by one of the glass blower artisans on the ship.

Regarding the wavy vase, do you have approximate measurements for it? I would like to be prepared with sturdy packing materials. Thank you. 

1 minute ago, wonton said:

Regarding the wavy vase, do you have approximate measurements for it? I would like to be prepared with sturdy packing materials. Thank you. 

Thanks for the reminder and saving me from having to find this thread. I'll post the answer later this morning. 

On 4/7/2023 at 6:59 AM, bucky0926 said:

Yes, if you could supply the approximate dimensions that would be helpful.  I have quite a while until this cruise and am sure I will order something from Amazon that would be appropriate to take it home in.  Would be heartbroken if it broke.

1 hour ago, wonton said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4a172c6bc66d122766f8ede1f8eab1fe.jpeg

@bucky0926, sorry for the delay.  @wonton, thanks again for the reminder. 

Here are the dimensions of our Wavy Bowl: The wavy crown measured 9 inches at maximum diameter.  I measured the crown across two different points to make sure.  The height is 5 3/4" (note in the photo that there is about a 1/4 inch gap between the end of the ruler and where 0 begins which I took into account).  The base of the bowl is about 5 inches in diameter (in the photo that dimension is not that clear, but I measured 5 inches).  Tap or click on the individual photos to make them larger and the ruler more readable.

Please remember that these pieces are custom made by hand and the dimensions will vary.  When it is made, there are no rulers or weigh scales used.  For that reason, it would be valuable if others posted dimensions of their Wavy Bowl.

image.thumb.jpeg.d1436b8d801e607a6454fbd39aeaa817.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ca3550151d58fd4104b37f2fd1d09ba4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.504e6291363eb2ffeabcc65f681fa366.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.3af40c3cbf3de144b763e9bf33273119.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Here are the dimensions of our Wavy Bowl: The wavy crown measured 9 inches at maximum diameter.  I measured the crown across two different points to make sure.  The height is 5 3/4" (note in the photo that there is about a 1/4 inch gap between the end of the ruler and where 0 begins which I took into account).  The base of the bowl is about 5 inches in diameter (in the photo that dimension is not that clear, but I measured 5 inches).  Tap or click on the individual photos to make them larger and the ruler more readable.

Please remember that these pieces are custom made by hand and the dimensions will vary.  When it is made, there are no rulers or weigh scales used.  For that reason, it would be valuable if others posted dimensions of their Wavy Bowl.

Thank you for your response. It’s helpful to have an idea. 

On 4/3/2023 at 6:04 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I made the tidal wave vase shown in yellow and white (far left in picture above).  Be sure you talk with the person about the colors you want because they don't necessarily look like the colors in the bowls.  The vase I made turned out more brown than I would have wanted as I was going for red like in the heart in the picture above.  I still like it a lot but wont be using it for the holidays like I originally planned. Here's a couple pictures.  The blue piece was one that we commissioned by one of the glass blower artisans on the ship.

image.png.633608a2508c82220444f6cfb0777ed5.png

image.png.6a3bf749162aa91ba0dc08c4c5719bba.png

I love both vases! So gorgeous. Now I want to be on a cruise with one of these classes. 

29 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I love both vases! So gorgeous. Now I want to be on a cruise with one of these classes. 

Thank you!  I had some regret for not signing up on Equinox bc I thought it was a little gimmicky. But then I saw what people were making and by then it was too late. The slots fill up quickly. So on Solstice we signed up right away. It was a lot of fun!  We didn’t book in advance but we still got a Captain's Club discount on board. 

1 hour ago, njsmom said:

As you will soon find out, the Hot Glass Studio is only available on three ships: Solstice, Equinox, and Eclipse.  The same space on the other two sister ships, Silhouette and Reflection, is occupied by the Lawn Club Grill specialty restaurant.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 8:05 AM, wonton said:

Mine is about 10.75" long, and the base is about 3.75" in diameter.

They do a pretty good job wrapping and packing the item on their own, and it's pretty sturdy on its own.  You won't need to pack it like it's made of eggshells.

• Like 1

Question - when do you actually schedule your class? I put one in my cart and got all the way to checkout, but there's nothing about days/times, etc. Do they contact you on the ship to schedule your time?

10 minutes ago, PH2 said:

Question - when do you actually schedule your class? I put one in my cart and got all the way to checkout, but there's nothing about days/times, etc. Do they contact you on the ship to schedule your time?

You go to the Hot Glass Studio to personally make the appointment.  Of course, it is best to go as soon as you board to get your choice of times.

• Like 2

Hello, just returned from my Solstice Mexico Cruise and I did the Hot Class Glass.  If you are on the fence, book it, you will be so happy you did.  Mitchell was my instructor and was so pleasant and helpful.  I love my project and it is a memory I will always cherish.  Make sure to make your reservations online as the sessions do book up quickly and if you wait until you are onboard they may all be taken.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PH2 said:

I agree with going as soon as you board to get the time you want.  Just FYI, the dates earlier in the cruise tend to fill up more quickly.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PH2 said:

Don't stress about getting signed up the first day.  You'll have plenty of other fun things going on to keep you busy when you board the ship.  But definitely sign up online, and then check out your app to see what times they'll be open.  That way you can go up there the next day, sign up for a convenient day and time. It won't sell out that fast.  It is fun to do.  We love our pieces.  Course, we're big Dale Chihuly fans!

10 minutes ago, MandL said:

Course, we're big Dale Chihuly fans!

We were introduced to one of his pieces adorning Constellation last October.  Of course, the famous ceiling work near you is outstanding!

IMG_3938.thumb.jpeg.479ad1ea1665509a4e8c1062e934bb5d.jpeg

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:31 AM, mahdnc said:

Thank you so much.  Sorry for my delay but just got off a cruise yesterday.  
At least I have an idea of what I am dealing with size wise. 

59 minutes ago, bucky0926 said:

Thank you so much.  Sorry for my delay but just got off a cruise yesterday.  
At least I have an idea of what I am dealing with size wise. 

No apology needed although that is a most excellent excuse!

• Haha 1