Greek Islands cruise - beach recommendations ?

fraj1

We are stopping at Agios and Chania, Crete, Chios, Kos, Mykonos, Patmos, Rhodes and Santorini and I'd love to have at least one beach day.....any suggestions for a lovely beach that will be accessible from the cruise port for a day? 

Many thanks!

It depends on your definition of a lovely beach.  My understanding is that beaches in the Mediterranean would not satisfy those who are accustomed to Florida or Caribbean beaches.  Too pebbly…. I have also read that Mykonos is an acceptable beach.  EM

6 hours ago, fraj1 said:

We are stopping at Agios and Chania, Crete, Chios, Kos, Mykonos, Patmos, Rhodes and Santorini and I'd love to have at least one beach day.....any suggestions for a lovely beach that will be accessible from the cruise port for a day? 

Many thanks!

@fraj1

Thank you for your new thread on the Ask a Cruise Question forum. However, it is the forum for general questions regarding cruising and your thread is off topic there. To help you out I have moved your thread to the Greece Ports forum where it will be on topic.

Happy sails,

Host Kat

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

It depends on your definition of a lovely beach.  My understanding is that beaches in the Mediterranean would not satisfy those who are accustomed to Florida or Caribbean beaches.  Too pebbly…. I have also read that Mykonos is an acceptable beach.  EM

There are many pebbly beaches.  There are many sandy beaches. There are many lovely beaches.  The warmer water season is limited. It is not all year round. Yes, it is not at all like the Caribbean (and I often say that to people who want to go swimming in April.)  But, it can be great at the right time.  It is best to speak from experience.  

To the OP I would say Kos or Mykonos. But first, when are you going? 

On 4/7/2023 at 2:20 AM, fraj1 said:

We will be cruising June 10-17, thanks for your thoughts ….

Here is the website to check the water temperatures around the world.

https://www.seatemperature.org/

We have Swedish friends who think that a sea temperature of 74 is really warm.  Personally, I am happier if it is 84,  In Greece, I like swimming in August and early September. But take your pick.  

Balance other things you would like to see at each port and the amount of time in each.  For beaches in each, google something like "Kos beaches" to get pictures and maps of all the beaches around.  Kos has really beautiful, sandy beaches, and it may have fewer other things to do than your other ports. The sea temps in June will be around 74F.

https://www.themediterraneantraveller.com/beautiful-beaches-kos/

Also consider Mykonos for a lot of sandy beaches.  A fun thing to do in Mykonos is to take a jeep tour of the island that takes you several places and stops at two or three beaches for a swim.  They normally have one long beach stop for lunch and a longer beach time.  The water temps should be about the same as in Kos.

Edited by marazul

On our cruise Mykonos seems to be the beach place.  It is known for the big party beach clubs.

I am seeing this video of beaches around Chania Crete.

They look incredible!

Not sure about how accessible they are, and what facilites are available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwAivItDhQ&t=153s

Have you checked the beach excursions for the different ports on your itinerary?

19 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

On our cruise Mykonos seems to be the beach place.  It is known for the big party beach clubs.

I am seeing this video of beaches around Chania Crete.

They look incredible!

Not sure about how accessible they are, and what facilites are available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btwAivItDhQ&t=153s

Have you checked the beach excursions for the different ports on your itinerary?

Many thanks  - I’ve stayed in Crete several times so have been fortunate to go to many of these beaches - they are indeed lovely! Am waiting to find out where ships tours are going - they have a website problem at the moment! 

On 4/10/2023 at 7:38 PM, marazul said:

Here is the website to check the water temperatures around the world.

https://www.seatemperature.org/

We have Swedish friends who think that a sea temperature of 74 is really warm.  Personally, I am happier if it is 84,  In Greece, I like swimming in August and early September. But take your pick.  

Balance other things you would like to see at each port and the amount of time in each.  For beaches in each, google something like "Kos beaches" to get pictures and maps of all the beaches around.  Kos has really beautiful, sandy beaches, and it may have fewer other things to do than your other ports. The sea temps in June will be around 74F.

https://www.themediterraneantraveller.com/beautiful-beaches-kos/

Also consider Mykonos for a lot of sandy beaches.  A fun thing to do in Mykonos is to take a jeep tour of the island that takes you several places and stops at two or three beaches for a swim.  They normally have one long beach stop for lunch and a longer beach time.  The water temps should be about the same as in Kos.

Tx for your help much appreciated! 

Of course, it all depends on what you have in mind.

I have never been to Mykonos, but from what I understand, Psarou beach is a good beach for the sand and water.  Scenic!  Many of the super nice boats and yachts could be there.

There is one of those big party beach clubs on one side.

We are thinking about Psarou beach, and then walking the short pathway and road to Platis Gialos.  There are a couple of recommended restaurants there.

Mykonos has MANY beaches.

Your ship will probably be at the newer port at Tourlos.

Googlemaps is your friend!!!!

The only walkable beach would be Agios Stefanos.

The water will still be pretty chilly.

Many beach clubs will be open.

Most of the well known beaches are beach clubs are on the south - southeast of Mykonos.

Taxi's are not readily available. So plan ahead for any transportation.

You might want to check your ships beach excursions.