Live from the Allure 4-8-23

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

catlover3 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Currently sailing back to Galveston.  This has been a very nice cruise, just two little hiccups.  Nothing to really complain that much about because being on a cruise is better than any day at work, right?  

*TV (Networks) were out of service from Sunday until Wednesday morning.  Wonder if that was on purpose?

*Internet was a major hassle getting connected (we paid in advance) but once we finally got on it has been awesome, no dropouts.  We are using our laptop and it's so much better than using a tiny phone screen.

*There are a lot of kids, teenagers and screaming babies onboard, making it a challenge to move around and enjoy peace at times.  They are also in the bars which is annoying.  The employees try to minimize them but don't want to piss the parents off.  Seems there are no boundaries anymore.

*The ship is clean and well taken care of. 

*Our balcony cabin is very clean, new carpet and bathroom is spotless.  New mattress (still too firm for us) but better with an egg crate on it (which was provided    for us) Yea!

*Cabin steward will only come one time a day and you can choose AM or PM service.

*You now have to ask for:  Paper Compass and ice in the room.  Room amenities are bare minimum but you can always ask for additional items.

*Diamond benefits:  No problem with the 4 drink vouchers and we ordered top shelf liquor with no upcharge at all bars.  The Diamond Lounge has been awesome   this cruise and is never full.  Employees are very attentive; food & desserts are delicious and the Coffee/Espresso machine is working perfect!  

*Entertainment is good. 

All in all, another wonderful cruise...NOT looking forward to getting off tomorrow!  Any questions?  Fire away......

• Like 2

I am glad I do not book internet when sailing. I get information off tv or wait to get home to catch up.

Wonder how folks got along without internet, well they did for many years.   

As for TV network, well that is a crap shoot.  I notice more lines do not carry CNN but they do FOX and MSNBC.

I agree that crew when lots of kids on board try to not police too much.  Must be hard for crew when they see a lot of rude and loud folks.  

54 minutes ago, offtosee said:

AM or PM for the cabin steward, hmm? Which did you choose, and what were the pros and cons to you?

We're looking forward to sailing Allure next month!

I think it's nice he got a choice. Oasis I was not given a choice. He would show up around noon or so at the end of his working time. Never introduced himself. Bella 1 .. he was not up to par for me. 

Glad to see allure is giving a choice. 

Hi guys,

Specialty dining we did not do this time around.  Seems like a lot of people didn't do it either.  Our Diamond Lounge had really good food and drinks available for us.  Windjammer food was mostly bland, but tolerable.  Main dining and service was very good and finished within one hour.  Smaller portions, which we appreciated. We don't like seeing food wasted!

You all will love the Allure, it is great!!! 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ajtaylor29 said:

Thanks for the report! We'll be boarding on the 16th, can't wait!!!

Did you dine at any specialty restaurants and if so - your opinion?

thanks!

We sailed the week before this on Allure. 150 Central Park, Giovanni's and Izumi were excellent. Chops was ok. Samba Grill was one and done, too much meat and that's coming from a hard core carnivore.

150 CP - Lamb Wellington was my favorite (ordered both meals)

Giovanni's - Ask for Ali as your server, fantastic! Carbonara, Gnocchi, Filet

Izumi - Futomaki Roll and Spicy Miso Ramen (best dish of the cruise)

Chops - Usually a ribeye lover but it was too thin. Recommend the strip or filet. Lobster not recommended, was Caribbean lobster not cold water (no claws)

All waitstaff was very accommodating for multiple dishes usually bringing out things to try without ordering. Always left stuffed.

Sabor was good for a couple of lunches. Guacamole and shrimp tacos

Other than Izumi, restaurants were rarely more than half full.

Enjoy!

Edited by SWACruising
  • Like 1