Tipping

envy4u

47 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

So they would know they have to turn anything you might give them into the pool (if you have removed automatic tips).

Oh, I see. So when I gave cash to our room attendants (I did not remove the crew appreciation from the bill) they would be able to keep it, then, as she said she would. 

Edited by Moriah

I like that the room stewards can keep and only share with their partner, the extra tips I give them.  I did not tip a couple of bar-tenders on my last two cruises who otherwise I would have, because my understanding was they would not be able to keep it. My thinking was that the crew appreciation I'm automatically charged covers them UNLESS I feel that someone has been particularly helpful and deserving of a tip, and in that case, I want him to be able to keep what I give him, and not have to share. Does that make sense?

7 hours ago, Torquer said:

Where is this officially stated by HAL?  I have read varying things about tipping on CC, but never that one.  What you state seems highly impractical.  You tip a crew member early on the cruise a couple dollars, then he is supposed to go to some list at the end of the cruise to see if you paid or removed the standard gratuities (since this might not happen to the last night)?  Would he remember all the people who gave him tips during the cruise?  It just doesn't seem possible.

Why isn't there is a sticky post on the HAL forum since this topic, in various forms, comes up every couple weeks.

Here's a link to the employee handbook.  Scroll down to the "Tipping Not Required Policy" section.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2597164-tipping/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-56025003

And I quote:

"All ships have the Rewards for Excellence (RfE) Plan which consists of Hotel Service Charges and Beverage Service Charges.  If a guest chooses to adjust out of the RfE Plan and instead provide cash tips to an employee, the employee is required to turn in this cash to their Department Head so the money can be added to the RfE plan.  Any "tips" received above and beyond the guests standard amount may be kept by the crewmember.:"

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Moriah said:

I did not tip a couple of bar-tenders on my last two cruises who otherwise I would have,

The bartenders are in a separate group from the Crew Appreciation group.  They get a portion of the 18% beverage gratuities.  Additional cash they can keep.  As mentioned, when I asked it seems each ship had a slightly different way they shared the additional tips.  I have tipped some of the bartenders/waiters that I had a lot of interaction with during my cruise.  There seems to always be a couple like that on each cruise!! 😁🍷🍺🍹🍾

~Nancy

• Like 1

14 hours ago, iaae22 said:

I can understand that, but what about other that I tipped – like in bars, buffet, spatiality dining? I hope they don’t expected to turn in their tips as I feel it was a reason I tip them directly - as they provided exceptional service to me.

The service charge is automatically added to the bars, specialty dining, etc., so additional isn't an issue.

• Like 1