Fort Lauderdale airport closed until Fri 5 am Eastern

capsplace

@At Sea At Peace I agree wholeheartedly that this thread and a couple others should have remained on the general Celebrity board.  This situation is impacting so many travelers.  Understand the reason, Celebrity isn’t the only cruiseline impacted, but perhaps they could run the thread in both places?

I wish you all the best in your travels!

Edited by capsplace

13 hours ago, otis12 said:

We fly in tommorow night at 1115 pm FLL. I wish Celebrity would at least put out a bulletin by tommorow for Saturday's departures if there are changes

Yep, that would be a plus.  Hopefully, those on board arriving Saturday and Sunday are keeping an eye on flights (and hotels, some are overbooked as people couldn't leave and the Tortuga Music Festival is still on Friday-Sunday).  The biggest headache is likely those trying to get here to FLL by air.  It's almost impossible to schedule 'make up flights' when already booked flights at full dispatched planes are already schedule.

I would wonder if the cruise lines might delay departure times if there is some threshold of late arrivals that can be measured is know due to the airport situation.  I doubt it, but it might help.

I guess those on Royals Liberty of the Seas that just arrived will have a tough time at the airport.  With the photos and videos online, the terminals are already full of stranded passengers from Wednesday afternoon through today at 9am.  Lines for the kiosks likely to be outside down the sidewalk for SW and JB.  TSA could also be an issue.  Luggage handling?  Yikes.  The logistics of that seem downright totally impossible.

GLTA

12 hours ago, FLAlaska said:

Please check with your airlines. The airport just announced they are delaying the opening again until 9 am

So true.  Also flightaware for status of flight and "where is your plane now" feature.

4 minutes ago, capsplace said:

@At Sea At Peace I agree wholeheartedly that this thread and a couple others should have remained on the general Celebrity board.  This situation is impacting so many travelers.  Understand the reason, Celebrity isn’t the only cruiseline impacted, but perhaps they could run the thread in both places?

I wish you all the best in your travels!

Thanks. 

I do understand 'thread move' has technically correct grounds, but (compared to other threads* with 3,678 and 1,272 pages unrelated to Royal for example) I agree it loses important relevance just here to a limited number cruise lines and ships today through Sunday.

* for example, RC (as well as other CC line forums, time to move to the Floataway Lounge?) ~

Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" 😁 day in lockdown... how was yours?) 3,678

,To add some humour...  1,272

• Like 1

Well, the airport did reopen.  As expected, a lot of issues 'out' and 'in' today regardless.  The following is good summary article.  Bet the impact on ticketing, TSA and luggage today will be a challenge.

https://www.travelmarketreport.com/News/articles/Ft-Lauderdale-Hollywood-International-Airport-Reopens

"There are still significant cancellations and delays out of the airport on Friday—according to FlightAware, 31%, or 133, of its departures have been canceled and another 9%, or 41, have been delayed. Close to 25%, or 98, of its arrivals have also been canceled, and another 17%, or 72 flights, have been delayed."

Here is a Link of the inbound cancelations.

https://www.broward.org/Airport/passengers/Flights/Pages/FlightInformationArrivals.aspx

Here is a link of the outbound cancelations.

https://www.broward.org/Airport/passengers/Flights/Pages/FlightInformationDepartures.aspx

Edited by At Sea At Peace
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, rucruisn2 said:

I'm in Palm Beach.  Had no where near the rain they say fell in Ft. Lauderdale.  Was shocked this morning to read it in the paper.  Right now it is sunny and calm outside.  I wish you blue skies and following seas.

It was quite an event.  Online videos are amazing.

Still yesterday, the southern part of the airport under several feet of water.  See photo in article.

https://www.aviationpros.com/airports/news/53057330/travelers-airlines-anxiously-await-todays-fort-lauderdale-airport-reopening

Also, they expect only ONE RUNWAY into the weekend!

"Even then, they expected the airport to be a one-runway operation into the weekend as the north runway was fully submerged beneath several feet of standing rainwater in places. The south runway is dry."

• Thanks 1