Fort Lauderdale airport closed until Fri 5 am Eastern

capsplace

2 hours ago, capsplace said:

Huge rain storms yesterday dumped nearly 26” at FLL, flooding the main runway.  Airport was supposed to reopen at noon, but just announced not until 5am local time tomorrow, Friday, Apr 14.

Here's a news report covering that change.

‘A Nightmare': Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Airport Closed Until Friday (msn.com)

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, conwakr said:

Ugh.  We are scheduled to fly to FLL tomorrow night for a Saturday cruise departure.  Fingers crossed tomorrow is better. 

Hope you make it.  I’d suggest changing to Palm Beach, but we’re getting pounded at the moment,

30 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Was planning on eating at this German restaurant in FLL.  The lady just called from the Old Heidelberg, they are closed due to water damage for a few days. 

Oh no!  We love that place!

So typical to see this important topic for Celebrity Cruise ships in Port Everglades FLL dislodged from the Celebrity thread.  Technically, correct; just sad as this weekend has a passenger carry load of Celebrity on their best ships impacted for both off loading and on boarding with crucial FLL airport concerns.

The few cruise lines and ships in FLL this weekend will feel a direct impact of the closed FLL airport, as well as the added complication of the tens and tens of thousands heading into FLL airport for the Tortuga Music Festival this Friday-Sunday.

Good luck to 'off and on' Celebrity cruisers on Equinox, Apex, Reflection and Beyond Saturday and Sunday.

Oh well.   🙄

https://www.cruisehive.com/severe-rainfall-in-fort-lauderdale-likely-to-impact-cruises/98793

"Royal Caribbean International’s Liberty of the Seas will be in Port Everglades on Friday, April 14, while five different vessels are scheduled for Saturday, April 15: Princess Cruises’ Caribbean Princess, Costa Cruises’ Costa Deliziosa, Holland America Line’s Volendam, and two ships from Celebrity Cruises, Celebrity Equinox and Celebrity Apex.

Similarly, five vessels are also scheduled for Sunday, April 16: Princess Cruises’ Regal Princess and Emerald Princess, Royal Caribbean International’s Odyssey of the Seas, and Celebrity Cruises’ Celebrity Reflection and Celebrity Beyond."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are also flying in tomorrow from Phoenix for a Saturday boarding on the Horizon w/ a stop in Dallas. So far no flight changes but tomorrow could be a different story. We have a 5am so my fear is getting stuck in Dallas and trying to find a way out. Its a group of us.. 2 out of Denver and 3 of us out of Phx but 2 different flight routes.. hope we all make it. I planned this a year ago for my retirement so fingers crossed, my ducks are all packed 🙂

56 minutes ago, otis12 said:

We fly in tommorow night at 1115 pm FLL. I wish Celebrity would at least put out a bulletin by tommorow for Saturday's departures if there are changes

Please check with your airlines. The airport just announced they are delaying the opening again until 9 am

8 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Another reason to fly in a day or more before your cruise starts.

Agreed - but I have come to the conclusion that it is all a wildcard. Was supposed to fly into NYC for a transatlantic two days early. Ice storms in part of the province - thunder storms in other - Easter long weekend - first leg of  my connecting flight got cancelled. The only rebooking option was two days later - day of departure - scheduled to arrive in NYC after the ship had sailed. Given the perfect storm of cancellations and full flights there was nothing anybody could do. No intermediate ports between April 7th and 16th.

The ironic thing is - if I had booked my original flights  for the actual sailing date, I would have made it. 

11 minutes ago, RD64 said:

Agreed - but I have come to the conclusion that it is all a wildcard. Was supposed to fly into NYC for a transatlantic two days early. Ice storms in part of the province - thunder storms in other - Easter long weekend - first leg of  my connecting flight got cancelled. The only rebooking option was two days later - day of departure - scheduled to arrive in NYC after the ship had sailed. Given the perfect storm of cancellations and full flights there was nothing anybody could do. No intermediate ports between April 7th and 16th.

The ironic thing is - if I had booked my original flights  for the actual sailing date, I would have made it. 

You can only do so much.  I would rather have a good plan suffer the bad luck of not working versus missing a cruise because of poor (or zero) planning.

Edited by mahdnc

3 hours ago, whynottry77 said:

We are also flying in tomorrow from Phoenix for a Saturday boarding on the Horizon w/ a stop in Dallas. So far no flight changes but tomorrow could be a different story. We have a 5am so my fear is getting stuck in Dallas and trying to find a way out. Its a group of us.. 2 out of Denver and 3 of us out of Phx but 2 different flight routes.. hope we all make it. I planned this a year ago for my retirement so fingers crossed, my ducks are all packed 🙂

We are flying from PHX__Miami on Saturday for the Encore leaving on Sunday. Also a retirement cruise and both of us have our ducks packed. 😊 Hoping there are no changes with our flights. Good Luck to you! 🍀 🛳️