US Citizen Booking from Port Canaveral

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  opshannon do remember pre Covid there were many Canadians who cruised with Marella out of Jamaica on the Marella Dream, they used Sun Wing i think they are part of the TUI. group, but are you saying the Cruises out of Port Canaveral are open to U.S residence, was told by Captain Chris skipper of Discovery this year that bookings were very slow, and one reason for not returning back to the U.S next year, except for the U.S Virgin islands.

• Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 1:37 PM, so,ton saint said:

Hi  opshannon do remember pre Covid there were many Canadians who cruised with Marella out of Jamaica on the Marella Dream, they used Sun Wing i think they are part of the TUI. group, but are you saying the Cruises out of Port Canaveral are open to U.S residence, was told by Captain Chris skipper of Discovery this year that bookings were very slow, and one reason for not returning back to the U.S next year, except for the U.S Virgin islands.

I'm trying to discern whether or not a US citizen can book a cruise only rate on Marella out of Port Canaveral. They are sailing some interesting itineraries from there, and Port Canaveral is close to our home in Florida. But I know that TUI sells their packages with airfare from GB. I just wonder if anyone in the US has been able to book and cruise without air since a US citizen has no need for airfare from GB. If it is true that bookings are slow, then opening them up to US citizens could certainly remedy that issue, I would think. 

On 4/26/2023 at 10:14 PM, opshannon said:

I'm trying to discern whether or not a US citizen can book a cruise only rate on Marella out of Port Canaveral. They are sailing some interesting itineraries from there, and Port Canaveral is close to our home in Florida. But I know that TUI sells their packages with airfare from GB. I just wonder if anyone in the US has been able to book and cruise without air since a US citizen has no need for airfare from GB. If it is true that bookings are slow, then opening them up to US citizens could certainly remedy that issue, I would think. 

We're Canadian and have booked a few Marella cruises with and without flights pre-Covid (would sometimes fly and leave from London as had family living there). We also had our first Marella cruise this side of the pond out of Jamaica packaged with our  TUI Canadian air partner (was cancelled due to Covid).

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to book the US departure "cruise only" rate  , but can't be sure. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2023 at 12:21 AM, gkbiiii said:

What are they like, compared to American lines?

I am not sure about the Marella cruises from the US or Caribbean cruises, but based on our experience with Marella/Tui (pre-Covid European) cruises ,as they cater primarily to the British, you notice a difference in food offerings  and entertainment. For us (Canadians) Trivia was harder and sometimes entertainment could  be a miss (e.g. a comedy act might assume better knowledge of UK and British politics). The ships are smaller and older than most of the American, not as flashy ...

This is CruiseCritics description - and I would agree with it (although our cruise were always on the adult only ships). 

""

About Marella Cruises

Marella attracts a broad cross-section of the British working class along with people of all ages. Marella's fleet of five ships offers an onboard experience that sits somewhere between traditional and ultra-casual.

14 hours ago, rodndonna said:

I am not sure about the Marella cruises from the US or Caribbean cruises, but based on our experience with Marella/Tui (pre-Covid European) cruises ,as they cater primarily to the British, you notice a difference in food offerings  and entertainment. For us (Canadians) Trivia was harder and sometimes entertainment could  be a miss (e.g. a comedy act might assume better knowledge of UK and British politics). The ships are smaller and older than most of the American, not as flashy ...

This is CruiseCritics description - and I would agree with it (although our cruise were always on the adult only ships). 

""

About Marella Cruises

Marella attracts a broad cross-section of the British working class along with people of all ages. Marella's fleet of five ships offers an onboard experience that sits somewhere between traditional and ultra-casual.

Sorry, I have to disagree."working class" aren't we all working class. Define working class 🙄

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rebel Rouser said:

Sorry, I have to disagree."working class" aren't we all working class. Define working class 🙄

Many apologies if I offended - It is a direct cut and paste description from Cruise Critic - was not my choice words, although I  would agree in the statement in that it is a "budget" friendly cruise line (not in the premium or luxury cruise line market).  

Out of curiosity I checked how they describe Carnival (since it is generally considered the more budget friendly of the American lines) - maybe better choice of words for budget friendly (they just come out and state they are the lowest price)

About Carnival Cruises

Carnival specializes in fun, laid-back, family-friendly cruises. With few exceptions, Carnival sails exclusively from North American homeports and offers some of the lowest pricing in the industry, particularly on short three- and four-night Caribbean cruises.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We Canadians just returned from a Marella Discovery cruise out of Port Canaveral on June 4, 2023.  We crossed the border in Northern Michigan and flew from Detroit to Orlando.

It was a little confusing and more complicated than booking a North American-based cruise line. We booked the cruise-only option and had quite the adventure making it happen.  Right up until the week of the cruise, we weren't sure if we would get on the ship. We didn't get a boarding pass until hours before leaving for the trip.

So we know folks from North America can do it, AND we know that Americans can book and board in Florida - as we met two gentlemen from New York who booked (and they agreed it was a bit of a challenge.)

We vlogged the whole experience (each day) and will also publish a video now to book a Marella cruise for Canadians and Americans in early July 2023.

The beginning of our vlog series started this week.  So follow along with two videos each week and see how we managed to get on board and the fun we had on our first Marella cruise!

Marella Cruise Vlog - Proof you can book and cruise FROM North America

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2023 at 8:34 PM, CruisingCanucksTwo said:

We Canadians just returned from a Marella Discovery cruise out of Port Canaveral on June 4, 2023.  We crossed the border in Northern Michigan and flew from Detroit to Orlando.

It was a little confusing and more complicated than booking a North American-based cruise line. We booked the cruise-only option and had quite the adventure making it happen.  Right up until the week of the cruise, we weren't sure if we would get on the ship. We didn't get a boarding pass until hours before leaving for the trip.

So we know folks from North America can do it, AND we know that Americans can book and board in Florida - as we met two gentlemen from New York who booked (and they agreed it was a bit of a challenge.)

We vlogged the whole experience (each day) and will also publish a video now to book a Marella cruise for Canadians and Americans in early July 2023.

The beginning of our vlog series started this week.  So follow along with two videos each week and see how we managed to get on board and the fun we had on our first Marella cruise!

Marella Cruise Vlog - Proof you can book and cruise FROM North America

Thanks for this. I can't wait to watch the video.