Aug Alaska Majestic or Sept Canada / New England Caribbean?

Kitty Ellas Mom

I've asked this before, but now it's decision time and I still can't decide.  Sigh.  I have until May 7 to decide if I'm going on the Aug 5 Majestic Princess to Alaska 7 day solo, b/c that's PIF day.  The other option I booked is a large group cruise on Caribbean Princess embarking Sept 19. and 10 days.  Both trips would end up being the same # days b/c I'd spend more time in Vancouver and Anchorage if I do the shorter cruise.  I've long seen the Alaska as a "go go go" cruise whereas the Canada cruise is more relaxing.  I am much more interested in seeing Alaska but I really want to go with the group, not completely solo.  There are specific people from the group I'd like to meet.  This is my first cruise, originally booked for June 2020, then 21, then 22 (and I lost that one due to a family emergency).  So I really want to go on one of these, which I booked as soon as the family emergency was over so that I'd have a cruise to look fwd to again.  I'm not worried about covid, but do expect the Alaska to be more crowded than the other (is that accurate?).  I got a significant price reduction on the Canada cruise recently when my TA re-fared everybody but couldn't get that b/c the Alaska is costing more now than when I booked.  I wonder if I wait until 2024 for Alaska will it be a lot more expensive.  Should I expect a Canada / New England cruise at this time to sell out too?  I know it's earlier than the peak leaf watching season.  Thanks for any advice.  Overall the decision might be down to whether I'm comfortable missing 12 days of my kids' school or not.  DH is willing to be the only parent available during this time but I feel bad b/c I can do the Alaska one during summer and it be easier on everyone.

I remember your dilemma.  Only YOU can answer this question.  What do YOU want out of a cruise?

I have been to Alaska many times.  I lived on the East Coast for a few years.  I have 2 cruises booked on the Caribbean Princess for this year.  I am not a fan of the Royal Class ships.  

Let's throw out the obvious (no guilt):

DH is willing to be the only parent for 12 days.  He can do it!  Great bonding time for him and the kids.  Great time for you to relax.

Kids are resilient.  They will survive without you.

How social are you?  Will YOU survive a solo cruise without the support of the group?  I can do solo cruises (and love them).  

Will YOU mix with the group?  and still be able to find time for yourself?

No brainer...Caribbean Princess dropped it's fare.  No long travel to Alaska and back.  

Can you afford to do a family cruise to Alaska at some other date and time?  Princess often has third and fourth passenger sales.  Air fare for 4 could be expensive.  

2 hours ago, Potstech said:

No choice we would take Alaska. There are far many more cruises to the Caribbean that would be available at a later date. 

I believe her second choice is ON Carribean Princess to Canada/NE, not TO the Carribean. 

To the OP, I recall your old posts from last year. Only YOU can make this decision. But as the parent of 3 now grown children,  I traveled for work at times when my children were young. My husband and kids lived through it! You have a great husband willing to shoulder the tasks, your kids will survive if you miss 12 days of a school year. So decide what you want and just do it! 

Edited by Buckeye10640

Thanks all.  I am thinking of maybe doing Alaska with at least one of my children later.  You are right that the airfare for all 5 of my family over to Alaska would be considerable.  Re: group cruise, I would still be solo quite a bit of the time.  I just liked the idea of getting to meet other cruisers through the group.  I'm not the type to just go up and introduce myself to complete strangers if I wasn't in the group together.  Overall the main thing leading me to think of choosing the Canada cruise over the Alaska is that I just don't like the idea of flying that far.  I'd much rather take the 2 - 3 hr amtrak train into NYC.  I'd have to fly back from Quebec but that flight isn't nearly as long as from Alaska.

The Caribbean Princess is being repositioned to Europe next year.  I believe the Emerald will replace her.  Not too much of a difference since they are sister ships.  F

For the life of me, I can't understand why they are removing the Caribbean Princess from Caribbean voyages.  It's the same as NCL removing Pride of Hawaii and replacing her with Pride of America doing the island runs.  

I was just realizing today that 1) I can book an Alaska cruise at any time, so it's not really like I have a deadline in 2 weeks--the DL is only for that particular set of reservations.  So, 2) I could cancel and keep the Canada / New England cruise and that decision doesn't have to be made until late June since it's sailing in Sept.  By late June some really important stuff going on in my life should be settled.  At that time I could either make the Canada cruise final or cancel it in favor of a different Alaska cruise (unless they are all sold out, I do realize that's a possibility).  It would be a shame to lose my deluxe balcony on Majestic Princess (I really did like that floor plan and there aren't a lot of them) and things like the helicopter tour over Alaska excursion I reserved last August, but since I've never been there I'm sure I'd have fun in any case.  The thing about Alaska I don't like is that the season is so short that if I miss 2023 I have to wait all the way until summer 2024.  But, it may have to be.  I really would like to go on a group cruise, as was my original plan.  This was the only group cruise with that group that worked for me for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, thank you so much for your responses.  I decided to do the group cruise on Caribbean Princess to Canada / New England, b/c it's the only cruise with that group that I can go on in the near future.  I still want to go to Alaska very much but decided that since I could book that one at any time solo I'd do the group now and that later.  However, it was very disappointing to cancel all my hotel and excursion reservations for a 4th time.  Sigh.  At least this time I'm canceling b/c I have another cruise to go on and not for covid or family emergency.  

• Like 1