Dining Frustrations & Questions

JoeFan

I am sailing on August 4th Oasis 9 night cruise out of Cape Liberty and I am trying to figure out the MDR menu rotation and formal nights.

I see some references for 9 night cruise menu rotations but not sure how this translates to other ships.

Question 1: Is there a way to know what our rotation will be?

I also have another question. My last cruise on Symphony, we had the Unlimited Dining and when I showed up early on day 1 and tried to book dining for the rest of the cruise, most nights were booked and Izumi Hibachi wasn't available at all for the entire cruise. The manager said I should have booked it online before I boarded but when I try to do that it wants to charge me.

Question 2: Can you book UDP before the sailing and how? 

28 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

Is there a way to know what our rotation will be?

It should be the same/similar to any other 9 day sailing.

No, you can't book UDP before the sailing - that manager was clueless.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, JoeFan said:

Question 2: Can you book UDP before the sailing and how

Well, you can but you will have to purchase it. We do this all of the time if we want to make sure we get the dining times we want. Once onboard they can refund your payment to OBC. This works if you want OBC, otherwise you have to hope some dinner slots are open for you and book when you are onboard. If you are in a suite the concierge will book your reservations in advance for you no problem. 

• Like 1

Agree that it can be frustrating and daunting.  The UDP needs to be a bit more straight forward.  It should not rely on boarding early to get fairly good times.

Luckily so far we have boarded and made reservations first thing and got close to our first choices.  But if if happens such that we miss out then we will will vote with our feet and our dollars.,

• Like 1

you are right that this is frustrating!  I have given up ordering the package in advance and see the MDR menu.  If it's not appealing, I will approach the specialty restaurant early am and see what seating is available.  I could be VERY wrong, but I find that when you are looking to book on the spot, something close to your preferred time shows up! This is my plan again for WOS in May, mind you, two in my party booked three nights of specialty restaurants, we shall see who gets what they want. It stinks, but there is a way around everything. 

Edited by nimbex1970

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

It should be the same/similar to any other 9 day sailing.

No, you can't book UDP before the sailing - that manager was clueless.

Agree, if your in a suite you can have concierge prebook UDP reservations.