Anyone bring unsealed food items onboard?

Yankee6

On 4/20/2023 at 11:02 PM, Yankee6 said:

Going on NCL escape in June its my fifth cruise (first NCL) and have always in the past brought any leftover snacks from my flight onboard and never had an issue.  I cant say if the other cruiselines ive been on had the same policy, but I suspect so.  I saw on NCL website it states Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard so I wanted to get peoples experience with this.  Thanks.

On 4/22/2023 at 4:03 PM, BirdTravels said:

The OP is asking whether they can remove food from the ship. The answer is no. Whether others follow the rules is totally irrelevant. What is relevant is the ship's and US Government laws. 

For Alaska cruises departing from Seattle:

image.thumb.png.9c99760030c9efd83c3510f6b62744fb.png

Nope. The OP clearly asked about bringing food onto the ship. Not off the ship. They asked about bringing food off the airplane. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sanger727 said:

Nope. The OP clearly asked about bringing food onto the ship. Not off the ship. They asked about bringing food off the airplane. 

OP wanted to bring food on the ship so they could take it off the ship and onto the airplane for their flight home.  See post #6.

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

OP wanted to bring food on the ship so they could take it off the ship and onto the airplane for their flight home.  See post #6.

If you acquire pringles in the US and then take them back off in the US; even if you declare this I doubt very much that customs will have a problem with that. 

Edited by sanger727

Just now, sanger727 said:

If you acquire pringles in the US and then take them back off in the US; even if you declare this I doubt very much that customs will have a problem with that. 

Only if the pringles have not been opened.  Once they're opened, they are no longer welcomed.

Have you read this:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-customs-fined-500-bringing-apple-delta-us/story?id=54663462

This isn't a customs issue. It is an Agricultural Department issue.  One does not mess with the Ag Inspectors.

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

Only if the pringles have not been opened.  Once they're opened, they are no longer welcomed.

Have you read this:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/woman-customs-fined-500-bringing-apple-delta-us/story?id=54663462

This isn't a customs issue. It is an Agricultural Department issue.  One does not mess with the Ag Inspectors.

apple and pringles are very different thing. Every country I have ever been to has prohibited bringing fresh fruits and vegetables in. 

The pringles were purchased in the US. So at one point they were certainly approved for consumption in the US. The fact that they traveled on a cruise ship, doesn't make them less complaint with US department of agriculture. 

Have you ever tried to claim food at customs? First, the standard packaged snacks (whether opened or not) are not on there. They are asking for fruit, vegetables, meat, cheese, nuts, etc. Things that could be agricultural issues. I've tried to tell them about chocolate or other snacks before and they just wave you through. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

apple and pringles are very different thing. Every country I have ever been to has prohibited bringing fresh fruits and vegetables in. 

The pringles were purchased in the US. So at one point they were certainly approved for consumption in the US. The fact that they traveled on a cruise ship, doesn't make them less complaint with US department of agriculture. 

Have you ever tried to claim food at customs? First, the standard packaged snacks (whether opened or not) are not on there. They are asking for fruit, vegetables, meat, cheese, nuts, etc. Things that could be agricultural issues. I've tried to tell them about chocolate or other snacks before and they just wave you through. 

Once the package has been opened, you can't prove their  provenance.  

Run whatever risks you want to.  It is your decision.  However, the potential results aren't worth the gain.

btw, OP didn't specify the snacks they wanted to bring ashore other than the airlines provided them. 

Those snacks could be fruit, vegetables, meat, etc.

Some countries are quite strict, origin and opened/sealed doesn't matter.

Bought honey in New Zealand.  We were advised to have it shipped home if we were flying home from NZ, as it would be confiscated at the airport, although we could take it back on the ship. No problem taking the same honey home if leaving from Australia.

28 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have you read this...

my goodness,  i think we've all read it. you've posted it four or five times in the same thread. i actually didn't have to read it... i remember it. if i recall correctly, she also lost her global entry status, which was the real penalty.

26 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I've tried to tell them about chocolate or other snacks before and they just wave you through. 

true. in the (not too distant) old days, you used to have to check the box as to whether or not you were bringing in "food." when asked, i would always say "packaged stuff... cookies, candy, mints, jam, etc" on occasion, i would say "i'm bringing back in some of the same nutrition bars i brought out of the country two weeks ago." they would always wave me through. they are interested in "raw" foods, unprocessed foods, fruits and vegetables. when coming back from china or the philippines, they're interested in balut!

i did ask once if i was doing the right thing but declaring i had "food." they said yes. 

now, with global entry and biometrics, i don't even have to declare food anymore when flying back to the united states. there are no forms; there are no attestations. i don't even need my passport.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2023 at 10:02 PM, Yankee6 said:

Going on NCL escape in June its my fifth cruise (first NCL) and have always in the past brought any leftover snacks from my flight onboard and never had an issue.  I cant say if the other cruiselines ive been on had the same policy, but I suspect so.  I saw on NCL website it states Unsealed food items will not be allowed onboard so I wanted to get peoples experience with this.  Thanks.

I make baggies of trail mix...never had an issue.

YMMV

Edited by KKB

39 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Once the package has been opened, you can't prove their  provenance.  

Run whatever risks you want to.  It is your decision.  However, the potential results aren't worth the gain.

btw, OP didn't specify the snacks they wanted to bring ashore other than the airlines provided them. 

Those snacks could be fruit, vegetables, meat, etc.

You can take anything you want through customs. You just have to declare them. No risks run. Either they will have you throw it out, have it inspected, or wave you through. If you declare your open pringles can they will wave you through.