Dropping off bags at airport (MIA)

pristinehart

I apologize if this is not the right place to ask this but if anyone know if this is possible or advisable. 

We are flying AA back home but our flight is not until almost 9pm. We were thinking that after the cruise, we would head to the airport and check our bags in with the airline. This way we don’t have to find a place to store it. I’ve searched online and it seems like AA will allow you to check your bags early in certain cities (correct me if this has change). 

We were thinking of exploring the beaches and finding some good food until it’s time to head back to the airport. 

Or should we just use the baggage storage at the airport? 

Thanks in advance. 

Most airline's will not allow you to check bags until 3-4 hours prior to your flight.  You might check out luggage lounge ins South Beach where you can pay to store your bags until you are ready to head to MIA.

On 4/24/2023 at 9:31 PM, pristinehart said:

I apologize if this is not the right place to ask this but if anyone know if this is possible or advisable. 

We are flying AA back home but our flight is not until almost 9pm. We were thinking that after the cruise, we would head to the airport and check our bags in with the airline. This way we don’t have to find a place to store it. I’ve searched online and it seems like AA will allow you to check your bags early in certain cities (correct me if this has change). 

We were thinking of exploring the beaches and finding some good food until it’s time to head back to the airport. 

Or should we just use the baggage storage at the airport? 

Thanks in advance. 

How are you going to be going back to the beaches and finding some food? Sounds like you just need to rent a car for the day to do your sightseeing and you can leave your luggage in the trunk. Most airlines will not let you check bags until 4 hours prior to your flight. I don't fly AA but this may be an airport requirement, not an airline decision. I have used the baggage storage at multiple airports and that is a good option but again, how do you plan on getting around Miami?  

5 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

How are you going to be going back to the beaches and finding some food? Sounds like you just need to rent a car for the day to do your sightseeing and you can leave your luggage in the trunk. Most airlines will not let you check bags until 4 hours prior to your flight. I don't fly AA but this may be an airport requirement, not an airline decision. I have used the baggage storage at multiple airports and that is a good option but again, how do you plan on getting around Miami?  

There are public transportation. So buses, trains, Uber? I just didn’t want to rent a car because then I have to worry about finding parking, paying for parking, and dealing with traffic. 

I know getting around without a car seems like a hassle but we’re just trying to find things to do to waste time. I wasn’t trying to explore all of Miami in one afternoon. 

Does your cruise line offer a sightseeing excursion after the cruise that ends at the airport? I did this in Seattle once...luggage stays on the bus with you and the drop off is after noon so able to check bags then and only spend a few hours waiting. Also check Viator to see if they have a tour option, Last idea is get a day room either near the cruise port or airport, drop your bags there and either relax by the pool for the day or use that as your base to head out. 

Whatever option you find, enjoy your cruise!

5 hours ago, debenson0723 said:

Does your cruise line offer a sightseeing excursion after the cruise that ends at the airport? I did this in Seattle once...luggage stays on the bus with you and the drop off is after noon so able to check bags then and only spend a few hours waiting. Also check Viator to see if they have a tour option, Last idea is get a day room either near the cruise port or airport, drop your bags there and either relax by the pool for the day or use that as your base to head out. 

Whatever option you find, enjoy your cruise!

Most of those excursions drop off at the airport about 1:00-2:00 and the OP's flight is not until 9:00.

Resortpass.com is an idea - hotel/resort passes that allow you to use their beach/pool/spa facilities.  Tip them to store bags while you swim, relax and grab lunch drinks.

• Like 1

If you decide to store your luggage at MIA, you can take the Miami Beach Airport Express bus to and from South Beach.  It is fast and cheap. Our son and daughter-in-law were married in South Beach and a number of guests did that without any complaints.  

MIA luggage storage: https://www.miami-airport.com/library/baggage-storage-rates.pdf

Miami Beach airport express bus:  https://www.miamidade.gov/transportation-publicworks/routes_detail.asp?route=150

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Update for anyone who were curious about this option as well. We were able to check in our luggage at the curbside counter at 9:30am for our 9pm flight.

But if you were planing to buy extra bulky souvenirs, I would keep that in mind because you can't get your luggage back. 🙂