Waitlist for early dining on Explorer

I’ve now been advised that my daughter and her family are on the waitlist for the early main dining room on Explorer. My wife and I have been transferred from MTD to the 6pm session. We had MTD booked for all of us but we’ve been moved and they haven’t. My question is how successful is being on the waitlist for the early dining. I suspect that it’s dependent on others cancelling I guess and they may keep some tables free for just this occurrence.  It would be useful to know if others have been successful. It’s for two adults and three kids. Thanks

25 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

My question is how successful is being on the waitlist for the early dining?

Most reports suggest low chance of being moved without calling again or asking for that via email a couple of weeks out. If none of those work, go directly to the MDR upon boarding to take care of it.

• Like 2

Thanks Biker. Moved as the times available for MTD were too late for the kids and we all want to sit together. I’ve followed up with an email to RCCL dining. Not heard a thing yet. Next step is concierge then straight to the MDR when we board

49 minutes ago, scottraveller said:

I’ve now been advised that my daughter and her family are on the waitlist for the early main dining room on Explorer. My wife and I have been transferred from MTD to the 6pm session. We had MTD booked for all of us but we’ve been moved and they haven’t. My question is how successful is being on the waitlist for the early dining. I suspect that it’s dependent on others cancelling I guess and they may keep some tables free for just this occurrence.  It would be useful to know if others have been successful. It’s for two adults and three kids. Thanks

When is this sailing? We are on early dining in August on Explorer and it’s listed as 5:30pm

Maybe it is 0530 but was told it was 6pm. Looked at booking 3 restaurant dining package and it came up as a conflict at 6pm but not 5.30pm. This suggests it’s 6pm but who knows. Also thought the late dining was 8.30pm which then leads you to think it’s 6pm. I could have been given duff info though

1 minute ago, scottraveller said:

Maybe it is 0530 but was told it was 6pm. Looked at booking 3 restaurant dining package and it came up as a conflict at 6pm but not 5.30pm. This suggests it’s 6pm but who knows. Also thought the late dining was 8.30pm which then leads you to think it’s 6pm. I could have been given duff info though

Sounds like you're correct. Though I've done B2B on Ship's where one week was 530, next 6. Have one sailing coming Early MD is going be at 5pm. 

When is your sailing? We wanted early dining, but had to take late dining when we first booked and were told that even the waitlist was full for early dining. I called back shortly after final payment was due and was easily able to switch 2 cabins (4 people) to early dining. Cruise was on Wonder in March. 

On 4/25/2023 at 11:32 PM, Mom*3 said:

When is your sailing? We wanted early dining, but had to take late dining when we first booked and were told that even the waitlist was full for early dining. I called back shortly after final payment was due and was easily able to switch 2 cabins (4 people) to early dining. Cruise was on Wonder in March. 

Could you tell me where you called to change to early dining. I didnt realise you had to pre book (I assumed you could go to dining room anytime with My Dining) and now the only online times are late.

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You can and many do.

52 minutes ago, stringo said:

Could you tell me where you called to change to early dining. I didnt realise you had to pre book (I assumed you could go to dining room anytime with My Dining) and now the only online times are late.

You can but be prepared to wait. If you don't book a specific time as soon as you make your cruise reservations, there is a good possibility (depending on the number in your group) you'll be seated a lot later than you might have wanted. 

2 hours ago, stringo said:

In my case I called my TA (big box store 😉). So call whoever you booked your original reservation, TA or Royal Caribbean directly.

Good Luck! And, honestly I think you will eventually have success switching your time to Early or Late. Call a few times before your cruise, if that doesn’t work, go directly to the dining room when you board. If they can’t help the first day, go back the second day, many people are switching for all different reasons and they will have a better idea of availability on the second day.

3 hours ago, scottraveller said:

Just had confirmation that we’re all on the early dining in the main dining room so relieved and happy that my family are all together for dinner. Super dooper

Great to hear! Bon appetit! Have a wonderful cruise.