Been trying to cancel for a month

Oregonhiker

My wife has a terminal disease that was diagnosed after final payment. Trying to cancel but no one answers the phone. Can't be on hold forever, caring for her. I just want to cancel so I could file a claim with my credit card company to recover some of the lost money, but I can't because they don't answer the phone. Very frustrating - anyone have ideas on how to get thru?

3 hours ago, Oregonhiker said:

My wife has a terminal disease that was diagnosed after final payment. Trying to cancel but no one answers the phone. Can't be on hold forever, caring for her. I just want to cancel so I could file a claim with my credit card company to recover some of the lost money, but I can't because they don't answer the phone. Very frustrating - anyone have ideas on how to get thru?

So sorry to hear that. Try emailing loyalty@azamara.com.

Do you have travel insurance?

Truly sorry for that news. My suggestion is to find the cruise line's land address (I'm assuming this is Azamara), and mail them a CERTIFIED letter telling them of your cancellation, along with their terms of cancellation. You may wish to send a second, identical letter, uncertified via regular mail. Once the certified letter is received and signed for, you have legal proof of your cancellation. If your regular letter gets through, but the certified is rejected and returned to you, you still have proof that you contacted them. This is how we contacted patients with significant medical pathology who for whatever reason refused to return our phone calls (unpaid debts, etc). Once the copies of the letter were in their medical charts, if they tried to sue us for failure to notify them, it would not stand up in court. Best of wishes for the future.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Oregonhiker said:

Thanks for suggestions. Insurance doesn't work off you can't show that you actually canceled.

As suggested by Dr H above if you send a letter by certified mail, that could be your proof. Also I would send an email to loyalty@azamara.com and submit their contact form https://www.azamara.com/gb/about-azamara/contact-us/contact-form stating very clearly that you are cancelling the cruise and explaining why. 

Both of these would be your proof that you cancelled.

Some people have had luck calling the Azamara phone number at 8am Central Standard Time (6am if you are in Oregon).  When I've called later in the day, I get a recording that their lines are overwhelmed and they aren't taking calls or messages, but when I called at 8am CST, I got a different recording, and per some, the opportunity to leave a message to which they respond.  They are prioritizing sailings within the month, so if you leave a message, maybe mention that you were supposed to embark this week.

The certified letter may cover you better legally, but if you reach them by phone, maybe they can send you an email confirming you weren't a no show.

So sorry you are in this situation- best wishes to you and your wife.

I would go the certified letter route if you don’t have a TA to cancel for you. Unless you can get through by phone with an immediate email confirmation, the letter might be your best bet.

And truly sorry about your wife.

Betsey

• Like 1

Thanks to all for suggestions and advice. I submitted another contact us form as suggested by Grandma Cruising. I really don't see how these folks stay in business - we had another cruise on Oceania prior to this one - took me five minutes to cancel. Amazing how people are discussing strategies to contact them on this forum. That should tell you all you need to know.