Solo cruisers meetups?

trippingby

Several cruise lines, including NCL, offer solo cruisers a meetup event before dinner. That way the solo cruisers can connect to each other, and make arrangements to eat dinner together at a shared table. 

As a first time Oceania cruiser in May on Regatta, I am curious how Oceania handles it.  Any solo cruisers that can let me know what to expect?

They do have solo gatherings. Are you on the LA-LA or the LA-Vancouver sailing?  Go to the Roll call for your sailing for info on your cruise. We may be setting up a Meet & Greet on the Alaska sailing.

I am on the LA rt May 11-18. The rollcall for that sailing doesn't seem to have any meet and greet setup. 

sitraveler, do they have any pre-dinner gathering the first day?  When and where do I find the social hostess? 

Thanks for the advice

33 minutes ago, trippingby said:

I am on the LA rt May 11-18. The rollcall for that sailing doesn't seem to have any meet and greet setup. 

sitraveler, do they have any pre-dinner gathering the first day?  When and where do I find the social hostess? 

Thanks for the advice

I looked at our Currents from last fall's CA-coastal. The first solo-social was embarkation day in Horizons at 6:30 pm with the social hostess. Check your Currents in your room for the time/location for your cruise. You can also check at Reception if you don't want to wait for your room to be ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

O definitely does solo cruiser meet-ups.  We made friends with several solo travelers on our voyage on Marina in January, and they raved about the ways that they had had. Hope it's the same for you.

• Thanks 1

On 4/26/2023 at 3:33 PM, trippingby said:

Thanks for the advice

Please post your experience with your solo cruise. I’m solo on Regatta July 21 Alaska. 

Here’s my post after my solo experience NOV 2021 Rome to Miami TA on Riviera.

I’m back from solo cruising on Riviera 17NOV Rome to Miami TA. I’m slammed w lotsa stuff going on right now, but before I get a chance to post more broadly about my solo experience on Riviera I wanted to let you know that O does a GREAT JOB taking care of solos! We had an associate cruise director, Cristina Hill, who hosted our Solo Traveler get togethers. The first one was early in the cruise and she hosted us 4 or 5 times throughout the cruise. We’d get together in Baristas at 6:30 and talk (open bar, but limited to barista’s limited alcohol). Cristina would organize our GDR table(s) for 7:15 and most would stay w the group to eat dinner together. Two bottles of wine were provided for each table. We had a group of about 15 each night, and the group would meet up at other times as well. I met some really nice people! I’m really appreciative of the solo experience provided by O and by Cristina!

————————-

My more recent solo cruise on Sirena Aruba to Lisbon was also good but we had a younger, less experienced associate cruise director. I’m sure she’ll do fine as she grows into the job.

I must admit that no other cruise I’ve been on has come close to the solo experience provided by Regent’s Mariner last NOV LA to Lima. More expensive, but worth it!!! I had a blast w the solos on Regent Mariner!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

I’m back from solo cruising on Riviera 17NOV Rome to Miami TA. I’m slammed w lotsa stuff going on right now, but before I get a chance to post more broadly about my solo experience on Riviera I wanted to let you know that O does a GREAT JOB taking care of solos! We had an associate cruise director, Cristina Hill, who hosted our Solo Traveler get togethers. The first one was early in the cruise and she hosted us 4 or 5 times throughout the cruise. We’d get together in Baristas at 6:30 and talk (open bar, but limited to barista’s limited alcohol). Cristina would organize our GDR table(s) for 7:15 and most would stay w the group to eat dinner together. Two bottles of wine were provided for each table. We had a group of about 15 each night, and the group would meet up at other times as well. I met some really nice people! I’m really appreciative of the solo experience provided by O and by Cristina!

————————-

My more recent solo cruise on Sirena Aruba to Lisbon was also good but we had a younger, less experienced associate cruise director. I’m sure she’ll do fine as she grows into the job.

I must admit that no other cruise I’ve been on has come close to the solo experience provided by Regent’s Mariner last NOV LA to Lima. More expensive, but worth it!!! I had a blast w the solos on Regent Mariner!

Thank you so much for the information. I’m very independent but like to know that there is some interest in solo passengers. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

————————-

I’ll be sailing solo for the first time in September.  Although I’ll be with quite a few friends we sailed with in the past, it’s good to know they won’t have to put up with me ALL of the time 😉

• Haha 1

While “O” does a a fair job for solos’s, they could learn something from their sister line NCL, which hosts a solo get together every evening, at a lounge during “Happy Hour”, and then afterwards invites those without other plans to join a large table reserved for them in the main dining room.

(But who am I to complain? I met my wife at an “O” solo meet)😉😁

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bob brown said:

While “O” does a a fair job for solos’s, they could learn something from their sister line NCL, which hosts a solo get together every evening, at a lounge during “Happy Hour”, and then afterwards invites those without other plans to join a large table reserved for them in the main dining room.

(But who am I to complain? I met my wife at an “O” solo meet)😉😁

My 1 experience on Regent Mariner was also as you described. I had a fabulous time! Wish I could afford to cruise Regent more often. SIGH.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2023 at 6:34 PM, LNielsen said:

I’ll be sailing solo for the first time in September.  Although I’ll be with quite a few friends we sailed with in the past, it’s good to know they won’t have to put up with me ALL of the time 😉

I was thinking the same. My Bro and SiL are taking me on a cruise in October. I may want to check in with some solo activities so I can give them some space -- if they want it.