A Tale of Two Enclaves (A Month Apart)

My husband and I go to the Enclave on every cruise. It’s such a nice getaway and a wonderful space to recharge and relax. Just a few thoughts on the Enclave on our two recent cruises…

In March we went on the Regal for a seven day cruise in the Caribbean. We pre-booked the week for $149 each (no longer is there a couples price). We also booked for our 19 year old daughter who was super excited because in past sailings she was too young. We checked in and hit the Enclave day 1. The first thing we noticed was the lack of locker keys. They only had a couple of bracelet keys for everyone. If you wanted to lock up your stuff, you had to find someone to lock the locker and when you wanted it unlocked you had to walk to the front desk in your robe (awkward!😂) and ask to have someone come unlock it. We always love the Enclave. It doesn’t disappoint. Unfortunately, for my daughter it did. She said the whole thing gave her the “ick.” 🤢 She said seeing the dry sauna floor filled with water sloshing around with stuff/debris floating was the final straw and she was done after the first 30 minutes. Luckily, they let her use the cost towards a massage. We enjoyed our time but did notice it was a little worn down. Tiles were falling off in the spa and it did look a little grungy and we never saw anyone clean anything. It was never overly crowded and no chair hogs. The biggest disappointment was the water and cups were always empty and we would have to ask for some on our way out. I asked about the price onboard and was told $149 for the week or $40 for a day pass. 

Then in April we went on the Discovery for a quick getaway. The ship and Enclave were pristine. I chose to book the Enclave onboard because we had a chunk of onboard credit to use and nothing else to really use it on. Pre-booking was $118 for a four day cruise and onboard it was $139. Kind of pricey for four days. Just to compare our next cruise is 10 days but only $199 on the Enchanted. Anyhow, again, it was pristine. Staff was always in there cleaning and only encountered empty water once. But this is where it goes all wrong—the people in there. It was actually a bit crazy. Again, no locker keys (the lockers used a card instead of the bracelet) and so I just put valuables in my robe pockets and clothes in an empty locker but everyone else seemed to be carrying beach type bags in the Enclave. I swear half of the people in there did not pay for a pass. In the four days there, I saw them giving tours of it every single day. So awkward to have people walking and looking around while trying to unwind. I also heard three separate people at the front inquiring about a day pass—which they were told was $49. So why do I think people didn’t pay? Because nearly everyone in there had absolutely no clue how the Enclave worked. Not what the saunas were, not how to turn anything on, where to find towels etc and just from overhearing conversations. The most frustrating part was how crowded it was and there were at least 20-25 people in there at all times. 12-14 people in the spa is too many.  People would be in the water and then put all of their stuff on the beds and not sit in them at all. It was so bad staff came in and began moving people’s things—kudos to them!—much to the ire of the people occupying two spaces (spa/sauna and a bed).  The door was often not locked—it may be a delayed after scanning the key. The breaking point was when I was in the spa and a girl sat in there for a good 30 minutes on the steps on her phone—weird, but fine. She was with a group that just talked loudly the entire time. Then a bunch of people wandered in—fully clothed and started talking to them and then taking pictures and selfies. 😱 They did not care that they were taking pictures of other people on the background. The group was more than 10 people. This was the last day of the cruise and I talked to the nice lady at the front who said they only sell 40 Enclave full cruise passes, only sell day passes if there’s room and people who have spa services do not get to use the Enclave. Oh and locker mystery solved!—the company who made the locks went out of business. 😢

Neither cruise ever asked for proof of Enclave pass. They just handed over the key. 

Sorry so long just wanted to give perspectives  to two totally different experiences as well as some pricing info. 

• Like 1

I also paid for Enclave on Discovery , always had a great experience on other ships.. Day 1 first Sea Day off I go with my book looking forward to my warm lounger and quiet .

The place was packed , 2 very upset ladies at the desk who had been waiting for a free lounger for an hour . The next day there was a sign up sheet you could book your hour in Enclave . People were staying over their time and I agree with the feeling several had not paid.

The only time I could get a lounger was in the evening , one man was watching U Tube Videos with no headphones . Guess his Internet worked better than mine !!!! 

All in all a disappointment .

I appreciate your write up.  We are sailing on the Caribbean and had purchased 2 Thermal Suite passes for the week for $149 each as you stated.  We ended up upgrading our CC/RC mini-suite to a window suite which includes free access to the Thermal Spa so I was able to cancel the passes.  We actually saved $22 in the process and I feel better knowing that if we don't like the Thermal Suite, we didn't waste money on it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTNest93 said:

I appreciate your write up.  We are sailing on the Caribbean and had purchased 2 Thermal Suite passes for the week for $149 each as you stated.  We ended up upgrading our CC/RC mini-suite to a window suite which includes free access to the Thermal Spa so I was able to cancel the passes.  We actually saved $22 in the process and I feel better knowing that if we don't like the Thermal Suite, we didn't waste money on it.  

Note that the Thermal Suite on Caribbean (or any older non-Royal class ship) is quite different from the Enclave.

The Enclave has aqua beds, heated loungers couple saunas and steam, different rain type shower experiences, and most importantly, the hydrotherapy pool. 

The Thermal Suite, does not. A few heated tile loungers, steam and sauna. It's much less of an experience than on Royal class ships.

That's why it's a suite perk on older ships, and not on Royal class ships (along with twice as many suites on Royal class ships, more on the newer Sky and up).

I'm sure you'll enjoy, just don't be expecting the big space, pool, etc.. 

*And before anyone argues that yes, the Enclave is a suite perk, it's not. Check the suite perk listings. Specifically excludes Royal class ships from Thermal Suite experience. Some ships have opted to gift it to suite guests anyways, but that's specific to head staff, not a normal perk.

• Like 2

Hi there,

This is concerning.  We have used thermal suites on other cruise lines so booked the Enclave on Majestic Princess for our Alaskan cruise in a few weeks.  I hope we won't be disappointed.  

I do have a question, and I feel you will be able to answer it with your experience.  When I booked the Enclave we were each given an appointment time for the first day.  I'm wondering what that's all about.  We've always just shown up on other lines.  Our time is 4:15.  So we have to go at that time every day?  If so, that's a 'no go' for us, as it's too late in the day.  Thanks!

• Like 1

We were on the Regal in January and I agree the Enclave was not in the best shape.  The drinking water was usually empty, towels smelled of mildew and I never saw a worker come and check on the facility.  Went on the Crown in March and the Thermal Spa was in really bad shape.  Many people complained about non working equipment and “we’re working on it” signs were put up for days.  I’ve always booked the Enclave/Thermal Spa on Princes but I doubt I will in the future.  Now on HAL I love the Thermal Spas! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndss said:

Hi there,

This is concerning.  We have used thermal suites on other cruise lines so booked the Enclave on Majestic Princess for our Alaskan cruise in a few weeks.  I hope we won't be disappointed.  

I do have a question, and I feel you will be able to answer it with your experience.  When I booked the Enclave we were each given an appointment time for the first day.  I'm wondering what that's all about.  We've always just shown up on other lines.  Our time is 4:15.  So we have to go at that time every day?  If so, that's a 'no go' for us, as it's too late in the day.  Thanks!

When booking ahead, we’ve never had to select a time. I didn’t even know that was a thing until DUCHESSRN chimed in with the helpful info. It’s always been come and go at your leisure. It is frustrating when there’s so many people because they say they cap it at 40 passes which can’t be true unless everyone is either just sneaking in or they don’t cap day passes which they say is based on availability. Paying for the full cruise pass should entitle you to go whenever you want and not have to sign up for a time—but that’s the only experience I’ve had. I just looked at our next cruise and when I add the Enclave it just assigns the 10 day pass and I don’t see any time listed. I would say if you get on the ship and if they tell you that you need to have a specific time you could cancel and get a refund. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Maybe DUCHESSRN can elaborate on the sign up process that she experienced. 

• Like 2

we are currently on the Regal for 22 days. First 15 was a transatlantic and now week around the UK..

we have the package deal on the thermal spa (first time) and LOVE it.

We have found it to be very clean and well stocked. and never overcrowded. Very attentive and friendly staff.  Since this is a B2B cruise I could have cancelled the thermal spa for the 2nd portion of the cruise  if we didn't enjoy it .II is a wonderful experience each and every day!  We have no need for a lock for the locker and just put the medallion in the pocket of the very comfortable supplied robes.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2023 at 12:19 AM, DUCHESSRN said:

I also paid for Enclave on Discovery , always had a great experience on other ships.. Day 1 first Sea Day off I go with my book looking forward to my warm lounger and quiet .

The place was packed , 2 very upset ladies at the desk who had been waiting for a free lounger for an hour . The next day there was a sign up sheet you could book your hour in Enclave . People were staying over their time and I agree with the feeling several had not paid.

The only time I could get a lounger was in the evening , one man was watching U Tube Videos with no headphones . Guess his Internet worked better than mine !!!! 

All in all a disappointment .

I will be on the Discovery this coming October.  I have been on many Princess ships but never did the Enclave.  However, I have done the thermal spa on NCL ships and it is awesome!  I never wanted to book on Princess because it seems so dark in there.  Anyway, my question is do you get the robes in the dressing room?  Also, are there only 8 thermal chairs by the therapy pool?  If so is there any other area to sit?  I really would like to use the Enclave this time but now am worried we will not be able to sit anywhere.  On NCL they had the heated loungers but also had many other areas to sit and relax.  I would bring my book in and stay for a few hours.  If there is no seating not sure if I want to book this.

Thank you,

Mary