How to get a HAL cruise recipe

BostonBoy2

I'd love to be able to create the recipe for roasted zucchini bisque, which we had on a recent Holland America cruise. The menu has Rudi Sodamin's name beside it. Any idea how I can track this down? I know that some recipes are trade secrets, but I'm hoping that this one isn't. Thanks in advance.  

13 minutes ago, BostonBoy2 said:

I'd love to be able to create the recipe for roasted zucchini bisque, which we had on a recent Holland America cruise. The menu has Rudi Sodamin's name beside it. Any idea how I can track this down? I know that some recipes are trade secrets, but I'm hoping that this one isn't. Thanks in advance.  

Have you tried a google search?  I would try searching " Holland America roasted zucchini bisque".  You might find a copy cat recipe, or the exact.  I once found Carnaval Lava Cake online ( first time I ever had that was amazing).  Sometimes, the cruise lines also offer cookbooks. Bon Appetite 

• Like 1

• Host Kat changed the title to How to get a HAL cruise recipe
15 hours ago, StollyBolly said:

I’ve asked for recipes onboard and they have been very obliging.  They may just give it to you.  Worth a try.  

We've done this a few times.  Once on Cunard for their Creamed Spinach Soup, and a couple of days later there was an envelope from the Maitre 'd with a copy enclosed.  However, we had to do a bit of work to adapt it for home use, as the first line read "Take 75kg of washed spinach"!

Our best example of customer service related to a recipe was from the American Queen on the Mississippi.  We asked for a recipe (another soup, this time Beer & Cheese), but it didn't arrive before we disembarked.  When we got home, we called the UK agents of the AQ, who said they would contact the US office as soon as it opened, and about five hours later an email with the recipe for this delicious soup dropped into our inbox.  Very impressive, we thought.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Here is the recipe you are looking for. It is in A Taste of Elegance Cookbook by Rudi Sodamin on pages 56-57. My late wife bought all his cookbooks while onboard years ago and yet I don't specifically remember being treated to her version of his recipes.🙂

20230504_063339.thumb.jpg.46251d9384e50edd90df0c0a3cd773b4.jpg20230504_062449.thumb.jpg.b75a03b3951e4e1ebe38902739b7782b.jpg20230504_061956.thumb.jpg.10e47bdb0c0a4d6e3a62453f226ce25b.jpg20230504_062151.thumb.jpg.07a0589ef9cdbd81f24e86ce954742ff.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Kitchen tip: I recently got the Breville brand "stick blender" with the additional attachments - chopping and whisking. It is a very nicely designed, versatile and easy to clean kitchen addition. It is corded, but this gives it additional power - to easily handle something like this bisque.

• Like 1

I also ask for recipes while on board, while in the dining room, and get the recipe before I am done with dinner. I have even had them emailed to me.

Thanks Destiny0315 for the recipe! I am sorry about the passing of your wife. What a great memory of her. 

On a side note, my go to recipe website is: epicurious. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/zucchini-basil-soup-242831

• Thanks 1

Btw, the four cookbooks that Rudi Sodamin has done for HAL are all available on Amazon as I am not sure if they are sold on board anymore. They also have the earlier ones that he did for RCCL. If you have family and friends who like to cook and especially ones who have cruised with HAL and tasted some of these same recipes they would make nice gifts...Rob

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 5/4/2023 at 2:08 PM, Destiny0315 said:

Btw, the four cookbooks that Rudi Sodamin has done for HAL are all available on Amazon as I am not sure if they are sold on board anymore. They also have the earlier ones that he did for RCCL. If you have family and friends who like to cook and especially ones who have cruised with HAL and tasted some of these same recipes they would make nice gifts...Rob

Thank you so much! Just ordered this book on Amazon. 

• Like 1