Beach near Kahalai Port

ULCajunCruiser

34 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

To us, neither one stands out as an attraction worth the effort to visit.

Great. I've been to both and like both and both are easily walkable from the ship for someone wanting to kill some time.

Blue Ginger, Longs and Macy's alone make the Queen K Center worth it.

https://queenkaahumanucenter.com/stores/

Edited by scottca075

On 5/6/2023 at 3:47 PM, ULCajunCruiser said:

Dang it, no sir, that's not it.   Beach I'm looking for is west of there, on the other side of where the Pride of America docks

Well, we went and looked - and looked !  We started at where the Matson gate is (and the gate was open today so we drove in).  There are good size boulders along the road and to the right when you enter.  You can look beyond the boulders and see beach in the distance, but it may be Kanaha Beach Park.  Hard to tell.  Someone has recently put a tall and new chain link fence in front of the boulders, but we think that is to deter local "fishermen". Then we went on Amala and checked every pathway and road we could find that might lead to the  beach before you get to Kanaha Beach Park.  Zip results.  The whole area looks like a major junkyard, by the way, and made us cringe at the thought of you thinking that is what Maui is like all over.  Wish we had something more positive to say, but we guess it is better to explain now rather than have you go and be surprised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Well, we went and looked - and looked !  We started at where the Matson gate is (and the gate was open today so we drove in).  There are good size boulders along the road and to the right when you enter.  You can look beyond the boulders and see beach in the distance, but it may be Kanaha Beach Park.  Hard to tell.  Someone has recently put a tall and new chain link fence in front of the boulders, but we think that is to deter local "fishermen". Then we went on Amala and checked every pathway and road we could find that might lead to the  beach before you get to Kanaha Beach Park.  Zip results.  The whole area looks like a major junkyard, by the way, and made us cringe at the thought of you thinking that is what Maui is like all over.  Wish we had something more positive to say, but we guess it is better to explain now rather than have you go and be surprised.

Well, it is what it is.   I really appreciate you check it out for us.   Sounds like we would be better off just staying on the ship.  I'll look for a short shore excursion to look around and maybe see Maui.   Can't thank you enough for taking the time to check it out for us!!

Edited by ULCajunCruiser
spelling

6 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Well, it is what it is.   I really appreciate you check it out for us.   Sounds like we would be better off just staying on the ship.  I'll look for a short shore excursion to look around and maybe see Maui.   Can't thank you enough for taking the time to check it out for us!!

Try one more thing we thought of and Google "Hale Nanea Clubhouse in the city Kahului - worldorgs.com"  The area has changed a bit since those pictures were taken, but seem to be the area you are looking for.

29 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Try one more thing we thought of and Google "Hale Nanea Clubhouse in the city Kahului - worldorgs.com"  The area has changed a bit since those pictures were taken, but seem to be the area you are looking for.

P.S.  In checking, Microsoft Edge works for this, but Safari won't for some reason.  Hope you can check it out, as this looks very promising.

30 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Yep, that's the area.  I saw Hale Nanea Clubhouse on the Google map when I was looking at the beach.   Wasn't sure what it was, a restaurant?, a bar?   I'll look into it more, thanks!!

18 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Great. I've been to both and like both and both are easily walkable from the ship for someone wanting to kill some time.

Blue Ginger, Longs and Macy's alone make the Queen K Center worth it.

https://queenkaahumanucenter.com/stores/

Hmmm.  Last we checked, Long's was in Maui Mall, not Queen K Center.

On 5/8/2023 at 9:30 AM, ULCajunCruiser said:

Sounds like we would be better off just staying on the ship.  I'll look for a short shore excursion to look around and maybe see Maui. 

If you don't get off the ship and spend time in Maui, honestly I don't know what the point of taking a Hawaiian cruise was in the first place. 

17 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Yep, that's the area.  I saw Hale Nanea Clubhouse on the Google map when I was looking at the beach.   Wasn't sure what it was, a restaurant?, a bar?   I'll look into it more, thanks!!

It's a cultural center-- something between a community center and an Elks Lodge. https://www.mauijungalow.com/2012/11/hale-nanea-hidden-hawaiian-cultural.html

Scott has hinted at this but I'll be a little more blunt-- the beach you are looking at is most likely a locals hang out and the locals do not want you there. This can range from just general distain and dirty looks all the way up to flat out confrontation. It's best to stay out of the local hangouts as a tourist in Hawaii. 

There are some fabulous beaches in Maui-- some of the highest rated in the world. Anything on the west side resort area is beautiful with a ton of services for day guests. You don't need an excursion-- you can easily take a taxi each way from the ship to a ton of beach options which will give you a great day off the ship and show you a little bit of an amazing island. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

If you don't get off the ship and spend time in Maui, honestly I don't know what the point of taking a Hawaiian cruise was in the first place.

I get that, but on her last four Hawaii cruises on Princess, my mother has only gotten off the ship in Honolulu to go have lunch at Orchids at Halekulani. Other than that, she just enjoys the many days at sea and views from her suite. There is nothing she hasn't done or seen on any island so she sees no need to leave the ship.... other than for Halekulani.

12 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

It's a cultural center-- something between a community center and an Elks Lodge. https://www.mauijungalow.com/2012/11/hale-nanea-hidden-hawaiian-cultural.html

Scott has hinted at this but I'll be a little more blunt-- the beach you are looking at is most likely a locals hang out and the locals do not want you there. This can range from just general distain and dirty looks all the way up to flat out confrontation. It's best to stay out of the local hangouts as a tourist in Hawaii. 

There are some fabulous beaches in Maui-- some of the highest rated in the world. Anything on the west side resort area is beautiful with a ton of services for day guests. You don't need an excursion-- you can easily take a taxi each way from the ship to a ton of beach options which will give you a great day off the ship and show you a little bit of an amazing island. 

We are getting off the ship.  We have plans to visit Haleakala Crater and are doing the Road to Hana!!   We just have 4 hours or so to kill on Sunday morning and were just looking for something close by.  We just don't have the time to travel across the island to the better resort beaches.

I'm glad you plainly stated your thoughts on the beach I was looking at.  It's fine, my feeling aren't hurt.  I won't go there.

22 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Didn't know that locals claimed some area as their own.  This is the first I hear of anything but a friendly, welcoming people.   Could you share more on these "local only" areas?  Is there a list of them somewhere??  We are of the generally adventurous type and we would hate to accidently stumble upon one of these!

1 hour ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Didn't know that locals claimed some area as their own.  This is the first I hear of anything but a friendly, welcoming people.   Could you share more on these "local only" areas?  Is there a list of them somewhere??  We are of the generally adventurous type and we would hate to accidently stumble upon one of these!

It is highly unlikely you'll stumble into any areas where there are hostile locals, but there were issues before Covid, mostly on Oahu. Covid, when visitors were all but eliminated from Hawaii, has spawned a lot more anti-visitor sentiment and not just from locals, but from politicians as well. The individual counties (Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Hawaii) are developing some very visitor unfriendly policies in terms of extortionate new fees on visitors. The state is doing the same. This is despite the fact that it is the politicians that Hawaiian residents elected who approved all the development that have made parts of Hawaii overcrowded.

As a visitor on a cruise, doing one day stops you aren't going to feel the sting the same way unless you choose certain activities. The most egregious example of new fees on visitors is the $25 per person to visit Hanauma Bay. So for a family of 5, that would be $125 and you have to make reservation. If you live in Hawaii, the fee is $0.

The new hostility is different from the old hostility, and the old hostility has not gone away.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

It is highly unlikely you'll stumble into any areas where there are hostile locals, but there were issues before Covid, mostly on Oahu. Covid, when visitors were all but eliminated from Hawaii, has spawned a lot more anti-visitor sentiment and not just from locals, but from politicians as well. The individual counties (Maui, Kauai, Oahu, Hawaii) are developing some very visitor unfriendly policies in terms of extortionate new fees on visitors. The state is doing the same. This is despite the fact that it is the politicians that Hawaiian residents elected who approved all the development that have made parts of Hawaii overcrowded.

As a visitor on a cruise, doing one day stops you aren't going to feel the sting the same way unless you choose certain activities. The most egregious example of new fees on visitors is the $25 per person to visit Hanauma Bay. So for a family of 5, that would be $125 and you have to make reservation. If you live in Hawaii, the fee is $0.

The new hostility is different from the old hostility, and the old hostility has not gone away.

Thanks for that explanation Scott.  Now it makes a little more sense to me.   I think the only plans we have that aren't with tour guides is to visit Kam Kam beach, next to the tender pier in Kona.  I think that one is OK??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Thanks for that explanation Scott.  Now it makes a little more sense to me.   I think the only plans we have that aren't with tour guides is to visit Kam Kam beach, next to the tender pier in Kona.  I think that one is OK??

Yes, I can't imagine many locals use Kamakahonu Beach.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

Yes, I can't imagine many locals use Kamakahonu Beach.

Well hell, not sure how to take that??  Again, it's only a time killer until our excursion starts a little later.  So locals don't use this beach because it sucks??  Because they have better options??  Because it's the backside of a resort??   Because there is a reasonable chance a sea monster will eat me??(LOL, just through this one in for a gigle)

Edited by ULCajunCruiser

4 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Well hell, not sure how to take that??

I would say because its touristy (near a resort) and that its basically enclosed by a jetty (making it not a great beach). It's perfectly fine to kill some time and take a quick dip. 

To elaborate on what Scott said, you just need to read the room. Just know that there is anti visitor sentiment and it can pop up here and there. Not something you will see in most of the more touristy areas that you'll be in, but places like Hana you can certainly run into it.

As an example, the Hana road was closed to anyone but residents for most of Covid and a lot of the locals would like to keep it that way. When it did open there were plenty of beaches that you would see a sign saying "locals only" even though all beaches in Hawaii are technically public. Plenty of other beach options rather than stir the pot. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Well hell, not sure how to take that??  Again, it's only a time killer until our excursion starts a little later.  So locals don't use this beach because it sucks??  Because they have better options??  Because it's the backside of a resort??   Because there is a reasonable chance a sea monster will eat me??(LOL, just through this one in for a gigle)

All of the above; it is small, not great like the beach at Mauna Kea Beach Hotel, it is attached to a hotel (not resort) and in the middle of town, not a lot of parking and of course the sea monsters,

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

When it did open there were plenty of beaches that you would see a sign saying "locals only" even though all beaches in Hawaii are technically public. Plenty of other beach options rather than stir the pot. 

Not even 'technically'. Any beach that isn't restricted U.S. military is a public beach, period. That does not mean I'd go to Nanakuli Beach Park on Oahu and assert my right to use it. I know better.

Hawaii should not bite the hand that feeds them...Where would they be without tourism.... In Florida tourists flood our towns and attractions, and we welcome their business which is why we do not pay state taxes.

8 hours ago, ERNLYN said:

Hawaii should not bite the hand that feeds them...Where would they be without tourism...

A former poster on Cruise Critic used to refer to Hawaii as "California with pineapples".  It was meant aa a joke then.  Not any more.  Look what tourism has made us into...