Odyssey in May 2024 - retain staff this close to sale?

1sttimerrt

We are considering a cruise to Alaska on the Odyssey in May of 2024. Anyone have experience with a ship that's soon to be sold to another company? I am wondering if they will be able to retain adequate staff for the trip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1sttimerrt said:

We are considering a cruise to Alaska on the Odyssey in May of 2024. Anyone have experience with a ship that's soon to be sold to another company? I am wondering if they will be able to retain adequate staff for the trip.

The ship has been sold and is leased back to Seabourn through the end of august

Nancy

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about them not having enough staff in May. I actually wouldn't worry about it up to the last cruise. We were on the last cruise of a Regent ship before it left for a new buyer, and it was a fabulous cruise. (Helping clean out the food lockers with unlimited grilled lobster tails on the deck for lunch is one of our great cruise memories!) Seabourn values its customers; they won't allow their standards to slip and risk future business from customers sailing up until the end. 

• Like 1

Odyssey doesn’t have its own staff, staff moves from ship to ship with each new 3-6 month contract. Also, Seabourn (and all cruise lines) are currently struggling to hire enough staff for their fleets. Anyone working on Odyssey in its final months will quickly reappear on a different ship. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off the Odyssey. Staff will be retained until the ship is delivered. Each person has their own contract, meaning some have 3-4 months, others 6-9 months, etc. In the meantime, all crew we spoke to are planning to return to the Odyssey to fulfill their contractual obligations. If their contract expires closer to turnover, they will return on another Seabourn ship or pursue other avenues. 
by the way, the service was outstanding, as it always is!!

• Like 5