Royal Princess B739 - Information Needed

tman2576

Hi Folks,

We are scheduled to cruise to Alaska this summer on the Royal Princess in cabin number B739.  I understand that there is an unassigned section of balcony between B739 and B738.  I have read that, if requested, the dividers between each of these aft cabins can be opened to allow access to this unassigned balcony section.  I am wondering if anyone has information on how to make this request.  Do I contact Princess beforehand or do I contact my cabin person once I board the ship?  Also, if the occupant of one cabin has the divider opened up, does this mean that the divider from the other cabin will remain locked?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Normally, you ask the cabin attendant to open the door, assuming both parties want to share a larger balcony.  I don't know what an "unassigned balcony section"is, so I don't know how that would work.

Most likely, there is a housekeeping room between B738 and B739. You can ask your Cabin Steward to open at least your part to the blank space. If B738 wants it open as well, then be aware that you will sharing balcony space. If you are traveling with the party of the other cabin, then this could be a win/ win. These balconies are a really nice size and you may be quite content with "as is".

I was assigned B738 on the Royal Princess in Oct 2023.  It's a great aft balcony because it is partially covered.

The space between B738 and B739 is a fire closet on the inside.  You can have the balcony divider opened into the no man's land between the two cabins.  It will be first come first served if the person in the other cabin is not in your party.  On my particular stay, the cabin steward told me the people in B739 asked also to open the divider, but I asked first, so I got the extra space.  If you really wanted to be polite in a both want the divider open situation, you could have the have the divider open for you for half the cruise and let the other people have it open the other half of the cruise.  Never saw the people in B739 on my cruise, so I was selfish and kept the divider open on my side for the entire cruise.

I also recommend getting pool towels to place on the balcony furniture and changing them out often because depending on which way the wind blows, the soot from the funnel can fall on to your balcony.

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

I was assigned B738 on the Royal Princess in Oct 2023.  It's a great aft balcony because it is partially covered.

The space between B738 and B739 is a fire closet on the inside.  You can have the balcony divider opened into the no man's land between the two cabins.  It will be first come first served if the person in the other cabin is not in your party.  On my particular stay, the cabin steward told me the people in B739 asked also to open the divider, but I asked first, so I got the extra space.  If you really wanted to be polite in a both want the divider open situation, you could have the have the divider open for you for half the cruise and let the other people have it open the other half of the cruise.  Never saw the people in B739 on my cruise, so I was selfish and kept the divider open on my side for the entire cruise.

I also recommend getting pool towels to place on the balcony furniture and changing them out often because depending on which way the wind blows, the soot from the funnel can fall on to your balcony.

Good information, but it does not really seem fair.

7 minutes ago, nini said:

Good information, but it does not really seem fair.

Still better than having both dividers open and having to share the space with strangers.  What if they walked over to your side and and had a peek into your room through the balcony door?  You never know in today's world.

Edited by SCX22
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Still better than having both dividers open and having to share the space with strangers.  What if they walked over to your side and and had a peek into your room through the balcony door?  You never know in today's world.

@SCX22- If you had booked the other cabin and also wanted to open the divider and told no; how would you feel? After all, you are a paying customer and did not know that it is a RACE?!?!?!

That is why I stated in Post 3, that you could be possibly sharing the space.

Edited by nini

2 hours ago, SCX22 said:

Thanks SCX… This is the type of reasonable answer I was hoping for.  If I am fortunate enough to grab this space first, and it turns out that the other party is also interested, we will gladly offer to split the spare balcony time with them.  If there is any additional information relating to this topic, I would enjoy hearing more.  Thanks again!

We had B739 on the Royal last year. We asked our cabin steward to open the door to avail ourselves of the extra space. However, the door was designed to open only to a fixed 90 degree position. It did not swing open a full 180 degrees and lock against the divider. Therefore, it actually created a visual barrier when viewed from inside the cabin. We said no thanks, had it closed back up, and greatly enjoyed our aft view balcony without the extra space.

On 5/5/2023 at 10:27 PM, enfuego4cruising said:

We had B739 on the Royal last year. We asked our cabin steward to open the door to avail ourselves of the extra space. However, the door was designed to open only to a fixed 90 degree position. It did not swing open a full 180 degrees and lock against the divider. Therefore, it actually created a visual barrier when viewed from inside the cabin. We said no thanks, had it closed back up, and greatly enjoyed our aft view balcony without the extra space.

This is great information to have Enfuego.  Thank you so much!