Port of Livorno regulations - Only beer and wine allowed????

gregluk

4 minutes ago, gregluk said:

To be honest I think the Livorno port rules will change again in a month or so and it will be different from what it is right now

Why do you think they would change it?? 

Happened last year in Greece ports. You weren't allowed alcohol and then a few weeks later you were allowed alcohol with the drinks package. Similar but can't say if this will be the same

• Like 2

Is this just an example of NCL being cheap? I was on a Celebrity cruise last 2 weeks that went to multiple ports in Spain (but none in Italy admittedly) and experienced no additional taxes (as some have reported here in Spain with NCL). 

So the question begs, does Celebrity just eat that extra cost, negotiate better, or something else?

Food for thought…

3 minutes ago, cameronp12 said:

Is this just an example of NCL being cheap? I was on a Celebrity cruise last 2 weeks that went to multiple ports in Spain (but none in Italy admittedly) and experienced no additional taxes (as some have reported here in Spain with NCL). 

So the question begs, does Celebrity just eat that extra cost, negotiate better, or something else?

Food for thought…

How could I Negotiate better, I did not know about this! Thats my point if they had told me I would not have upgraded to the "Plus" package (Now called the Minus package) No just kidding... 

20 minutes ago, gregluk said:

Happened last year in Greece ports. You weren't allowed alcohol and then a few weeks later you were allowed alcohol with the drinks package. Similar but can't say if this will be the same

Thanks, I remember talk of that last year. I guess we will wait and see what happens later this year and whether the restrictions are still in force or not.

34 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

IIRC, you only bought the Premium+ package at the end of the cruise, right? And only for Livorno? Personally, I would not buy an upgrade for just one port. It sounds to me like Livorno was the only port where you couldn't get hard liquor, is that right? Or were there others? At any rate, your reply implies that NCL knowingly took your money for the upgrade with full knowledge they couldn't deliver a portion of it (remember, Premium+ includes high end wines, too, not just the hard stuff). Different strokes for different folks, I don't upgrade because it's too expensive and because (apart from the fancy champagne) the selections aren't worth it for me. 

They Charge you pr. day but one of the days you at best only get a half package, my only point is that it would be fair to tell me. Some people have overnight stay in Italy. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gregluk said:

Someone posted that in Civitavecchia you are allowed all alcohol if you have the drink package. If you don't then no alcohol.

Let us know if it's the same when you arrive in civitavecchia.

Also would be good to know if spirits are allowed again as soon as you start sailing from livorno, or if it wasn't allowed for the rest of the evening like someone else mentioned

IMG_2894.jpeg.a3f6723d90d0b2c34601467248eb427c.jpeg

Ok I just overheard a bartender tell another passenger that liquor sales will resume tomorrow around 7pm, so it sound like the plan is to start selling once we’re out of Livorno territory., Like you, I read that those  who already purchased the package in the next port aren’t technically “purchasing” alcohol since it’s pre-purchased so I’ll let you know on Thursday if that’s true. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Beer and wine aren't alcohol? 😉 JK. (I know, you don't drink them)

Well, while not ideal, you *could* get off the ship and have your tipple at a local bar. AFAIK they're not saying liquor sales IN Livorno are prohibited, only that NCL won't serve hard liquor that day. So if you're really into getting your drink on, leave the ship and shop local. 🙂

I wonder if has to do with liquor licensing regulations there. I know in Ohio, you can get beer/wine in grocery stores - anything up to 40 proof. But anything else you have to go to a state store. Not selling any hard liquor, but still selling wine and beer makes me think its not a tax thing.

Why is is just NCL?

Anyone found any other cruise line with this restriction in Med ports?

Be  interested if our Star from Southampton has the same issue as Dawn last week.

Just NCL so far leaving Southampton.

8 hours ago, gregluk said:

I don't understand what's the big deal with spirts not being allowed. 

And is this going to be the case from now on then for the rest of the year? 

Italy’s game - their rules - not for us to question what the big deal is. But certainly at the end of the day - the big deal is related to $$$$$.

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Beer and wine aren't alcohol? 😉 JK. (I know, you don't drink them)

Well, while not ideal, you *could* get off the ship and have your tipple at a local bar. AFAIK they're not saying liquor sales IN Livorno are prohibited, only that NCL won't serve hard liquor that day. So if you're really into getting your drink on, leave the ship and shop local. 🙂

C'mon man. The beer and wine selection on NCL has and continues to degrade and erode with very very poor quality selections. The issue is that people are paying in advance for a service. Then, the service is not being offered in the name of rules and regulations. Why in the world would someone pay NCL to drink and then go ashore to pay to drink again? If I know in advance that I can't use my beverage package for two or three ports on my itinerary, then I can make an informed decision about whether I want to buy said package or go ashore and drink as you suggest. When I purchase the Free at Sea promotion sold as unlimited open bar, I expect it to be unlimited open bar.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, insidecabin said:

Why is is just NCL?

Anyone found any other cruise line with this restriction in Med ports?

I've been checking the boards and have only seen this mentioned regarding NCL.  If it's a country's regulations, it would apply to all ships not just one line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Why in the world would someone pay NCL to drink and then go ashore to pay to drink again?

Why? Because the cruise line has to obey local laws and regulations, that's why. This is really no different than when someone purchases a cruise that sails from, say, Vietnam to Spain and stops in Saudi Arabia along the way. No sales of liquor AT ALL in some countries due to their laws. Essentially, you're blaming NCL for following the law in Livorno, and that isn't right. As for

15 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

The beer and wine selection on NCL has and continues to degrade and erode with very very poor quality selections.

That is an ENTIRELY subjective opinion. I have found the wine selections on NCL to be more than adequate, certainly not "very very poor,"  to use your words. (I don't drink a lot of beer, but what I have had, was just fine) If you're dissatisfied with the selections and don't think it's fair NCL is obeying local laws, find another line or don't choose itineraries that stop in places with rules like this one. I, like you, expect that Unlimited Open Bar means just that, except when preempted by local port regulations that are entirely outside the cruise line's control. When we were in port in San Juan, PR back in September 2021 on the Gem, I was surprised to find we were charged tax on drinks, even though I thought I'd already paid gratuities on the drink package when I booked our cruise. Why taxes in addition to gratuities? Well, it turns out that US law requires NCL to collect sales tax on drinks while docked in US ports. Did I blame NCL? No, because it wasn't their decision. Same principle here.

16 hours ago, isopalms said:

Ok I just overheard a bartender tell another passenger that liquor sales will resume tomorrow around 7pm, so it sound like the plan is to start selling once we’re out of Livorno territory., Like you, I read that those  who already purchased the package in the next port aren’t technically “purchasing” alcohol since it’s pre-purchased so I’ll let you know on Thursday if that’s true. 

Thanks, I think a number of us would appreciate knowing how this all turns out.

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Essentially, you're blaming NCL for following the law in Livorno, and that isn't right.

Wrong again. I have never suggested NCL should disobey laws, did you? What I am doing is blaming NCL for selling and charging passengers for an unlimited beverage package at a port where it knows it evidently can not serve unlimited beverages. I am in the process of learning if this applies to all cruiselines.

If you knew anything about the port of Livorno, you would know that your suggestion to leave the ship and shop local is a foolish one. Livorno is a cargo port...miles and miles of cargo. You can't just hangout shore side and drink. The closest bar and retail store is miles from where the ship docks.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Wrong again. I have never suggested NCL should disobey laws, did you? What I am doing is blaming NCL for selling and charging passengers for an unlimited beverage package at a port where it knows it evidently can not serve unlimited beverages. I am in the process of learning if this applies to all cruiselines.

If you knew anything about the port of Livorno, you would know that your suggestion to leave the ship and shop local is a foolish one. Livorno is a cargo port...miles and miles of cargo. You can't just hangout shore side and drink. The closest bar and retail store is miles from where the ship docks.

I've been to Livorno, with my friends from Rome. I'm quite aware of where it is, thank you. I checked Google Maps and there are plenty of bars near the port.

I'm intrigued by this statement of yours:

"What I am doing is blaming NCL for selling and charging passengers for an unlimited beverage package at a port where it knows it evidently can not serve unlimited beverages."

Where's your evidence that NCL "knows" it evidently cannot serve unlimited beverages? I think you and I both know that any cruise line can offer an unlimited beverage package before the cruise, and there's always the possibility of them running out of things or having local regulations preempt their ability to deliver on that, through no fault of their own. I guess the difference is that I just accept that as a possibility, the same as I accept the possibility of ports being skipped (which happened to us last December, TWICE), even if those ports were the reason I booked in the first place. At any rate, I may enjoy my beverage package, but somehow I think being told I can "only" have beer and wine at one port isn't something that's going to ruin my vacation.

This is the official comms from Norwegian about this that I got from them.

Our Company is not able to foresee in advance what will be the restrictions prior to sail and arrive in a specific port. All port authorities may apply some local rule anytime, prior or during the cruise for all worldwide cruise lines. Even if we understand that this will impact our guests, we are obliged to follow any local rules and we do hope our valued guests can understand Company position in our matter. Therefore, I am sorry but this cannot be checked as 'urgent verification' since the concerned policy can be only checked once arrived at the port and once the ship is docked.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gregluk said:

Our Company is not able to foresee in advance what will be the restrictions prior to sail and arrive in a specific port. All port authorities may apply some local rule anytime, prior or during the cruise for all worldwide cruise lines. Even if we understand that this will impact our guests, we are obliged to follow any local rules and we do hope our valued guests can understand Company position in our matter. Therefore, I am sorry but this cannot be checked as 'urgent verification' since the concerned policy can be only checked once arrived at the port and once the ship is docked.

Thanks for this, good to see an official statement from NCL. FYI this is precisely what I thought, i.e. there's no way a cruise line can predict every eventuality in advance. Anything you purchase or book in advance is subject to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregluk said:

Hahahaha...well if they know it exists, the people at NCL should really be warning folks this can happen. At least you did receive that warning, with little more than that. What a load of bull hockey.

• Like 2

I know that when Carnival sails out of Texas, where they can't use the liquor package, the first day is not charged when purchasing the cheers package. It would only be right for NCL to prorate any days where you can't use the beverage package. Even if they do it after the fact because they didn't know ahead. Otherwise there is certainly a contract violation here; to charge for something that you aren't able to use.

Charging you and then not letting you use it would be akin to you booking and paying for a shore excursion - then its cancelled and they don't refund it because "we didn't know it was going to be cancelled".

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I know that when Carnival sails out of Texas, where they can't use the liquor package, the first day is not charged when purchasing the cheers package. It would only be right for NCL to prorate any days where you can't use the beverage package. Even if they do it after the fact because they didn't know ahead. Otherwise there is certainly a contract violation here; to charge for something that you aren't able to use.

Charging you and then not letting you use it would be akin to you booking and paying for a shore excursion - then its cancelled and they don't refund it because "we didn't know it was going to be cancelled".

If NCL is unable to create a page where spirits are unavailable, then I would certainly be in favor of this option. Since we only pay gratuities on the package, it wouldn't be a ton of money, but would be the ethical thing for NCL....oh ethics. NCL. My Bad! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

If NCL is unable to create a page where spirits are unavailable, then I would certainly be in favor of this option. Since we only pay gratuities on the package, it wouldn't be a ton of money, but would be the ethical thing for NCL....oh ethics. NCL. My Bad! 

Good luck to anybody planning to sue NCL over this, they have an army of lawyers and I promise you they're already covered for this kind of thing in the T&C's. This will blow over by next week and people will forget about it, mark my words. Oh, here's what I found:

https://www.ncl.com/terms/unlimited-open-bar-package

One of the items on this states the following:

• No substitute for package if guest cannot consume all beverages included.

If I were NCL, I'd say "you are entitled to beer and wine in Livorno, but not spirits, but there are no substitutes." It also says other terms and conditions apply. They're covered, trust me. (I'd be ticked off if I were on this cruise, but I'd forget about taking any legal action)

Edited by DCGuy64

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Good luck to anybody planning to sue NCL over this, they have an army of lawyers and I promise you they're already covered for this kind of thing in the T&C's. This will blow over by next week and people will forget about it, mark my words.

I'm sure not suing. That ain't worth it to me! And yup, there'll be a new topic next week. It's how the forums go.