unverified charges

greener

returned from sapphire princess last night.  checked charges on my credit card and found charges labelled "princess" for last 4 days on the ship.  amounts were $21.98. $22.22,$22.22,$15.29 canadian dollars.my on board account was settled on board and shows a zero balance owing.  these charges appear to have been made by princess for something other than on board charges.  anyone recognize what these charges could be for?  please advise me as to how to find out.  should i call princess, or my credit card or anyone else?  appreciate any help you can offer.

It’s usually difficult to get onboard charges reversed once you leave. You may want to reach out to your credit card company and label them as unknown charges.  It’s easier for the credit card company sometimes to deal with corporations. I did this with Amex recently for a different company and they were able to sort through it quicker than I could. 

8 minutes ago, greener said:

thanks for your input.  so i will wait a few days and see if they are refunded to my credit card rather than try to deal with princess now?

They may show as pending and then fall off.  Takes a few days.

I agree - just wait and see if they change from pending to authorised.  On my amex account, there are two different columns - pending, and authorised.  For mastercard, they all show in the same column but are clearly marked as pending until they are confirmed.  It can take a week or so to change from pending to authorised.  Viator always authorises $1 on my creditcard when I book a book now-pay later tour, to confirm that my card is good,  and that $1 charge sits there, pending, for about a week before it falls off.   If these charges end up authorised rather than falling off, you can raise a dispute with your credit card company which will be much easier than dealing with Princess.  Keep your itemised and receipted OB account statement somewhere safe in case you need it for evidence. 

Edited by trinitygirl

If these charges are in face authorization holds, which I suspect they are, they are not "live" transactions that have been pushed through your card.  The authorization hold is used to verify that the card being used is valid and has funds available.  There is no money to refund as authorization holds aren't held against your credit card balance until the merchant pursues the transaction.  They will automatically disappear from your account, but you will not see any refund because they aren't authorized--in fact, there will be no trace of them on your monthly statement.

You’ve brought up a good subject as a reminder to occasionally check your charges, especially the last night of your cruise. 

I always do this to avoid any questionable charges. 

Tom😀