Looking for hotel/transfer options for Yokohoma/Tokyo/Haneda

peagreenid

We are arriving by cruise ship to Yokohoma.  We would like to stay for 2 or 3 nights before flying out of Haneda.  I've been searching for transportation options and found the YCAT at the Yokohoma Station to get us to Haneda before our flight home.  So we were going to take a taxi from the ship to Yokohoma Station.  I originally thought about staying at the Sheraton at Yokohoma Station but I am wondering if there is another area of Yokohoma or Tokyo to stay in for good hotel/restaurant options that we can use as a base for sightseeing and we can always work our way back to Yokohoma station/ YCAT for the transfer to Haneda.   

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  If we stay for longer we may spend a day sightseeing in Tokyo from Yokohoma. 

I'm sure there are many nice things to see in Yokohama. Yokohama is a short train ride to Tokyo--think about going to Tokyo after disembarking, and make Tokyo your base. Pick a couple of museums (or shopping, or gardens) that you want to see. Get a 2-day or 3-day subway pass (depending on how many days) to use in Tokyo. When it's time for you to get to Haneda airport, you can take the subway to Haneda.

• 2 weeks later...

We recently (March) stayed in the Shinjuku area before a cruise and enjoyed the experience.  But to be very clear, the Tokyo area (even as far as Yokohama) has an excellent and reasonably priced transportation system.  And Tokyo is a huge/sprawling city, so staying in Shinjuku and going to other parts of the city for tourism (such as Asakusa) can take nearly as long as going to that district from Yokohama.  Our best advice is that there is no "one idea fits all" answer and folks need to assess their own situation.  The logistics of moving around with luggage can actually be more important than whether to stay in one district vs another.  

What I find fascinating is the opinion of DW, who was on her first trip around Japan (I had previously lived in Japan for 2 years).  During our trip we spent 5 nights in Tokyo, 6 nights in Kyoto (used the bullet train between the two) and 1 night in Yokohama (pre cruise).  We also had 2 turn-around days in Yokohama and spent one of those in Tokyo (took the subway) and the other just exploring Yokohama (with an emphasis on Chinatown.  So what was DW's takeaway?  She found Yokohama more "attractive" than staying in Tokyo (a big surprise to me).  And this, despite me taking her to most of the more interesting parts of Tokyo.  Just keep in mind that moving back and forth between Yokohama and Tokyo (via train/subway) does take time (figure about 45 min each way...plus/minus).  

Lastly, I would sing the praises of taking the train to Kamakura (easily done from Yokohama) to see the giant Buddha and some of the other shrines/temples in that city.  It is a terrific option for those who have already spent some time in Tokyo and are looking for an easy day trip.

Hank

• Like 2

On 5/23/2023 at 12:20 AM, Hlitner said:

We recently (March) stayed in the Shinjuku area before a cruise and enjoyed the experience.  But to be very clear, the Tokyo area (even as far as Yokohama) has an excellent and reasonably priced transportation system.  And Tokyo is a huge/sprawling city, so staying in Shinjuku and going to other parts of the city for tourism (such as Asakusa) can take nearly as long as going to that district from Yokohama.  Our best advice is that there is no "one idea fits all" answer and folks need to assess their own situation.  The logistics of moving around with luggage can actually be more important than whether to stay in one district vs another.  

What I find fascinating is the opinion of DW, who was on her first trip around Japan (I had previously lived in Japan for 2 years).  During our trip we spent 5 nights in Tokyo, 6 nights in Kyoto (used the bullet train between the two) and 1 night in Yokohama (pre cruise).  We also had 2 turn-around days in Yokohama and spent one of those in Tokyo (took the subway) and the other just exploring Yokohama (with an emphasis on Chinatown.  So what was DW's takeaway?  She found Yokohama more "attractive" than staying in Tokyo (a big surprise to me).  And this, despite me taking her to most of the more interesting parts of Tokyo.  Just keep in mind that moving back and forth between Yokohama and Tokyo (via train/subway) does take time (figure about 45 min each way...plus/minus).  

Lastly, I would sing the praises of taking the train to Kamakura (easily done from Yokohama) to see the giant Buddha and some of the other shrines/temples in that city.  It is a terrific option for those who have already spent some time in Tokyo and are looking for an easy day trip.

Hank

Thank you for sharing your wife's opinion, that's also very interesting to me! Were you staying in the Minato Mirai area of Yokohama? I find the skyline there by the water beautiful, and more of what I imagine as a city skyline. On a clear day when you can see Mt. Fuji behind the skyscrapers, it's one of my favorite views of Japan.

I agree that Tokyo is such a massive sprawling city and as such doesn't really have a comparable single defining skyline. Shinjuku or Asakusa are both impressive in their own rights but I think I agree with your wife's preference for Yokohama.

13 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

Thank you for sharing your wife's opinion, that's also very interesting to me! Were you staying in the Minato Mirai area of Yokohama? I find the skyline there by the water beautiful, and more of what I imagine as a city skyline. On a clear day when you can see Mt. Fuji behind the skyscrapers, it's one of my favorite views of Japan.

I agree that Tokyo is such a massive sprawling city and as such doesn't really have a comparable single defining skyline. Shinjuku or Asakusa are both impressive in their own rights but I think I agree with your wife's preference for Yokohama.

We stayed at the Park Royal (Yokohama) where the rooms are all above the 60th floor.  A great location because there is a large attached shopping complex.  The day we arrived in Yokohama it was chilly, windy, with a deluge of horizontal rain.  We simply walked through the complex over to the shopping area where there were multiple restaurants.  On that day, the name of the game was staying indoors and dry!

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We stayed at the Park Royal (Yokohama) where the rooms are all above the 60th floor.  A great location because there is a large attached shopping complex.  The day we arrived in Yokohama it was chilly, windy, with a deluge of horizontal rain.  We simply walked through the complex over to the shopping area where there were multiple restaurants.  On that day, the name of the game was staying indoors and dry!

Hank

Hank

That is a great location. We haven't stayed in that particular hotel but a couple nearby that were also connected to the station and shopping complexes for convenience. Very international area and easy to manage in English too. I'm sorry the weather was uncooperative that day, hopefully you make it back on a day where the view cooperates! I now remember reading your review a while back. I especially appreciated your helpful and detailed your DIY day explanations!

6 minutes ago, skipsaur said:

That is a great location. We haven't stayed in that particular hotel but a couple nearby that were also connected to the station and shopping complexes for convenience. Very international area and easy to manage in English too. I'm sorry the weather was uncooperative that day, hopefully you make it back on a day where the view cooperates! I now remember reading your review a while back. I especially appreciated your helpful and detailed your DIY day explanations!

We were back in Yokohama for two more turn-around days, and had good weather on those days.  We really enjoyed walking over the Chinatown (for lunch) and exploring the park (close to the port) where they had terrific flora exhibits (all the flowers were in bloom).

Hank

• Like 1

My niece and her husband lived in Yokohama for 3 years and she recommended the Square Hotel Yokohama Minatomirai and we have that booked for 2 nights this October before our cruise.  The prices were very reasonable and the rooms look decent.

Never been to Japan......but heading there in October.

After arriving by ship at Yokohama, we are planning to stay 5 nights at the Yokohama Sheraton next to the train station (burning up Marriott points).

Basing in Yokohama, we plan to wear out our Japan Rail pass w/day trips.....We will be experts at navigating the Yokohama train station once we are done.

40 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Never been to Japan......but heading there in October.

After arriving by ship at Yokohama, we are planning to stay 5 nights at the Yokohama Sheraton next to the train station (burning up Marriott points).

Basing in Yokohama, we plan to wear out our Japan Rail pass w/day trips.....We will be experts at navigating the Yokohama train station once we are done.

Great 👍. I would love it if you could review your experiences after your adventure in October as we sail next year. Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 8:20 AM, Hlitner said:

What I find fascinating is the opinion of DW, who was on her first trip around Japan (I had previously lived in Japan for 2 years).  During our trip we spent 5 nights in Tokyo, 6 nights in Kyoto (used the bullet train between the two) and 1 night in Yokohama (pre cruise).  We also had 2 turn-around days in Yokohama and spent one of those in Tokyo (took the subway) and the other just exploring Yokohama (with an emphasis on Chinatown. 

Did you stayed in the Minatomirai area for your 1 night pre-cruise?  In Sept, we will be staying at the Intercontinental Yokohama Grand (Minatomirai area) pre-cruise.  Mainly want to know if it was easy getting a taxi from the hotel to the Osanbashi Pier and how much for the taxi ride?   TIA.

28 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Did you stayed in the Minatomirai area for your 1 night pre-cruise?  In Sept, we will be staying at the Intercontinental Yokohama Grand (Minatomirai area) pre-cruise.  Mainly want to know if it was easy getting a taxi from the hotel to the Osanbashi Pier and how much for the taxi ride?   TIA.

We stayed at the Park Royal (I think we were on the 71st floor).  Getting a taxi was no different than getting a taxi from any hotel....just ask the doorman...wait a couple of minutes...and than the taxi appears.  I do not remember the exact cost, but it was no more than $15.  To be honest, most folks flying half way around the world to Japan, and taking a cruise, should not be overly concerned about whether a taxi fare is $10 or $15.  

By the way, we loved our hotel location because we were part of a huge office/shopping complex with a large shopping center next door.  The day we got to Yokohoma (we took the bullet train up from Kyoto) it was chilly with heavy rain made horizontal by a nasty wind.  But, from our hotel we could simply walk underground to the shopping center where there were plenty of restaurants and some decent browsing (of shops).  

Under normal circumstances, it would probably make sense to be in a hotel closer to Chinatown (which is relatively close to the port) since that is a fascinating neighborhood in Yokohama (the largest chinatown in the country).  But getting around Yokohama (and/or Tokyo) is relatively easy since Japan has an amazing public transit system.  Subways in our country are not that clean the day they are new!

Hank

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We stayed at the Park Royal (I think we were on the 71st floor).  Getting a taxi was no different than getting a taxi from any hotel....just ask the doorman...wait a couple of minutes...and than the taxi appears.  I do not remember the exact cost, but it was no more than $15.  To be honest, most folks flying half way around the world to Japan, and taking a cruise, should not be overly concerned about whether a taxi fare is $10 or $15.  

By the way, we loved our hotel location because we were part of a huge office/shopping complex with a large shopping center next door.  The day we got to Yokohoma (we took the bullet train up from Kyoto) it was chilly with heavy rain made horizontal by a nasty wind.  But, from our hotel we could simply walk underground to the shopping center where there were plenty of restaurants and some decent browsing (of shops).  

Under normal circumstances, it would probably make sense to be in a hotel closer to Chinatown (which is relatively close to the port) since that is a fascinating neighborhood in Yokohama (the largest chinatown in the country).  But getting around Yokohama (and/or Tokyo) is relatively easy since Japan has an amazing public transit system.  Subways in our country are not that clean the day they are new!

Hank

Thank you for the information.  Taxi under $20 is a good price; definitely beats walking. ☺️

Last time (2019) we stayed 5 nights at the Daiwa Roynet Hotel. From the Haneda airport, we took the airport shuttle, drop off point was only 10 minutes walk to the hotel.  Also only 10 minutes walk to Osanbashi pier and Chinatown.  We were happy with the hotel. Yes, Chinatown very nice.

For this upcoming trip, we will stay 1 night pre-cruise,  and 5 nights after 1st cruise before boarding 2nd cruise.  This time, we decided to try the Minatomirai area.  After some researches, we decided on either the Park Royal hotel (mainly because it is part of a huge office/shopping complex with a large shopping center next door and also can simply walk underground to the shopping center) or the Intercontinental Grand Yokohama.  After reading a lot of reviews, we decided on the Intercontinental over Park Royal.  I am sure both are nice hotels and the airport shuttle has a stop right in front of both hotels.    

31 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:
Thank you for the information.  Taxi under $20 is a good price; definitely beats walking. ☺️

Last time (2019) we stayed 5 nights at the Daiwa Roynet Hotel. From the Haneda airport, we took the airport shuttle, drop off point was only 10 minutes walk to the hotel.  Also only 10 minutes walk to Osanbashi pier and Chinatown.  We were happy with the hotel. Yes, Chinatown very nice.

For this upcoming trip, we will stay 1 night pre-cruise,  and 5 nights after 1st cruise before boarding 2nd cruise.  This time, we decided to try the Minatomirai area.  After some researches, we decided on either the Park Royal hotel (mainly because it is part of a huge office/shopping complex with a large shopping center next door and also can simply walk underground to the shopping center) or the Intercontinental Grand Yokohama.  After reading a lot of reviews, we decided on the Intercontinental over Park Royal.  I am sure both are nice hotels and the airport shuttle has a stop right in front of both hotels.    

We spend 11 wonderful days, pre-cruise in Japan.  Despite a lot of rainy and partially rainy days we truly enjoyed our 4 nights in Tokyo, 6 nights in Kyoto and the one night in Yokohama.  Doing our own thing, with lots of luggage, was a challenge but fun.  The highlight of our 8 week trip (6 weeks on a HAL cruise) was certainly the days/nights we spent pre-cruise.  

Hank