Saguenay, QC

LindaJ+

7 minutes ago, LindaJ+ said:

Anyone have any recommendations on excursions, tours or self-guided walking?

We were there last September on a 14 day sailing. It is a very little town that we had to tender to from the QM2. A Princess Ship was docked pier side. It is a cute town and quaint with little shops along there Main Street.

I unfortunately don't remember any ship board tours or excursions offered so we just walked around and visited the shop and seen the sites. On the day we were there, there was a street and town festival with the locals entertaining the two ships passengers.

It is a very nice town with very cordial residents that helped all.

I'm confused about where the ship docks (Holland America Zaandam).  Is it right at the actual town?

The Musee du Fjord looks interesting ... but it looks like it's a ways away.  I suppose the only way to get there is to sign up for an excursion.

you could probably  get a taxi  there

The locals  dress in costume & put on a show at the dock

They had  different things  like log sawing  & they made maple syrup suckers  or something like that  

very interesting  welcome 😉

https://tourisme.saguenay.ca/files/cartes_et_brochures/magazine_croisieres_2018_anglais_web.pdf

Avoid the excursion "Discover the Fjord Secrets". We took the one with Norwegian. I'm sure other ships have similar one - the description was "Your journey will take you along the shores of Ste. Rose du Nord, the jewel of the Saguenay and one of the most beautiful villages in the province of Quebec. This charming little hamlet is nestled on the shores of the Saguenay River and surrounded by beautiful landscapes. Your cruise ends at the charming village of L’Anse St-Jean where you’ll have some free time to explore this little village. "

It as a waste, because the small boat takes you on the exact same direction and scenery in which your ship will arrive and depart. You will see the same scenery for free from the ship. Then it drops you at this town, with one very small place for lunch. With this excursion, half the group took the bus to the small town and then the boat to the pier, and the other half took the boat first and then the bus. Picture both groups arriving in the same small town at the same time. One restaurant (not that large) and one small gift shop and that is pretty much it. There wasn't time for everyone to even get something to eat.

3 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

I'm confused about where the ship docks (Holland America Zaandam).  Is it right at the actual town?

The pier is behind the Princess ship at the dock and our QM2 had to stay in the harbor and tendered the passengers to land behind the ship.

image.jpeg

The towns people entertaining the passengers...

image.thumb.jpeg.ea83c4f54ea581fe29c560221f720ad7.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f684f27ac5ebe762ca2750892030624f.jpeg

Edited by BklynBoy8

7 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

I'm confused about where the ship docks (Holland America Zaandam). Is it right at the actual town?

It will dock at the Pavillon des croisières internationales à La Baie, very much in the centre of the smallest community within Saguenay, La Baie. More precisely, it is in the centre of the former Bagotville, which was merged with Port-Alfred (the community immediately south of the Rivière-à-Mars) to form the municipality of La Baie, which subsequently became part of the present day municipality of Saguenay.

7 hours ago, LindaJ+ said:

The Musee du Fjord looks interesting ... but it looks like it's a ways away.  I suppose the only way to get there is to sign up for an excursion.

From the Pavillon des croisières, walk south on either Rue Mars or Rue Victoria about five blocks to Teminus La Baie. There you can board bus route 52 direct to the museum. Fare is 3.75 CAD. Buses operate hourly every day of the week, about 15 minutes on the bus. Departs Terminus La Baie at 30 minutes past each hour, returns from the museum at 44 minutes past each hour (also at 00 minutes, and 14 minutes, respectively, during weekday peak periods). Find the entire schedule here: http://horaires.stsaguenay.com. More information generally on riding the bus in Saguenay (including routes to both Chicoutimi and Jonquière) is here: http://sts.saguenay.ca.

On 5/16/2023 at 6:30 PM, LHT28 said:

you could probably  get a taxi  there

The locals  dress in costume & put on a show at the dock

They had  different things  like log sawing  & they made maple syrup suckers  or something like that  

very interesting  welcome 😉

https://tourisme.saguenay.ca/files/cartes_et_brochures/magazine_croisieres_2018_anglais_web.pdf

We are in the same situation as OP, on the Sept 13 NCL Joy... this stop is confusing for a newbie, understanding the towns, etc.    This brochure link is really good, thanks.

am I correct in that:

Ship ports near the small village part of LaBaie, but that part of LaBaie is not walkable to the museum area of Labaie, which is 2.5 miles away?

Chicoutimi is another town 11 miles away but would be a better town to spend the afternoon on our own as it is larger than LaBaie?

You can get to Chicoutimi on the Ho Ho bus, taxi, city bus, or ship's excursion (NCL Saguenay Highlights, $65, 2.5 hours, not sure if you get free time on your own.) ?

thanks for the help here.

Yes confusing  

we wandered in the port then took the HOHO bus into  town  & wandered there

Not sure what the exact town was 

we stop there again in the fall   DH wants to go to the Air museum  so trying find out if the HOHO will go when we are there  or not

I hope you find something  to interest you  it is  pretty there

5 hours ago, CCJack said:

[T]his stop is confusing for a newbie, understanding the towns, etc.    This brochure link is really good, thanks.

[A]m I correct in that:

Ship ports near the small village part of LaBaie, but that part of LaBaie is not walkable to the museum area of Labaie, which is 2.5 miles away?

Chicoutimi is another town 11 miles away but would be a better town to spend the afternoon on our own as it is larger than LaBaie?

You can get to Chicoutimi on the Ho Ho bus, taxi, city bus, or ship's excursion (NCL Saguenay Highlights, $65, 2.5 hours, not sure if you get free time on your own.)?

Yes, it is confusing, particularly since many people (myself include) continue using the former municipality names.

No, you are incorrect as to walkability. There are sidewalks the entire distance, including on the two bridges, as well as a pedestrian and bicycle pathway. Not necessarily the most scenic walk, but if you're up for walking 4 km (2-1/2 miles) each way, then go for it. Or walk one-way and bus the other way.

The large communities that make up Saguenay are Chicoutimi and Jonquière. Both are much larger than La Baie. Traditionally, Chicoutimi has been the main community, and I have visited there several times. However, I usually go through Jonquière because the railroad tracks the once terminated in Chicoutimi have since been pulled up, and the passenger trains now go only so far as Jonquière. If you like larger cities, then you should plan to these these two communities, as you might otherwise finish La Baie prematurely.

The tour bus might be good if you're looking to be guided around. But if you're simply seeking to get to Chicoutimi and Jonquière, and then explore on foot on your own, then you would likely do best using the local transit bus service, and set your own schedule in doing so.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2023 at 10:13 PM, LindaJ+ said:

Anyone have any recommendations on excursions, tours or self-guided walking?

Last year I used Saguenayguidedtours.com really enjoyed the small mini bus group for the national park - this year booked with them again for Black Bear viewing at the Outdoor centre 

37 minutes ago, Kidminder said:

Last year I used Saguenayguidedtours.com really enjoyed the small mini bus group for the national park - this year booked with them again for Black Bear viewing at the Outdoor centre 

Hi Lynne,

How are you? Missed saying Goodbye last September to you.

R U going another Canadian again? We are doing the 4th of July in 20 days on the QM2, Then a Carib in 2025,

So nice to have met you in the past. Hope to meet again. 

5 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Hi Lynne,

How are you? Missed saying Goodbye last September to you.

R U going another Canadian again? We are doing the 4th of July in 20 days on the QM2, Then a Carib in 2025,

So nice to have met you in the past. Hope to meet again. 

Hi Eddie and Beverly 

Yes returning to Canada late September 🤗 hoping to pass on any info that I learnt from your marvellous thread last year.

Only overnighting in Quebec this time rather than three days …. And definitely not getting covid again….and hoping no hurricanes this time either😊

Enjoy our lovely QM2 again …and the Caribbean. 
Keep your eyes peeled I do fancy a paddle in the Caribbean 😉 and it would be lovely to meet you again

x

28 minutes ago, Kidminder said:

Hi Eddie and Beverly 

Yes returning to Canada late September 🤗 hoping to pass on any info that I learnt from your marvellous thread last year.

Only overnighting in Quebec this time rather than three days …. And definitely not getting covid again….and hoping no hurricanes this time either😊

Enjoy our lovely QM2 again …and the Caribbean. 
Keep your eyes peeled I do fancy a paddle in the Caribbean 😉 and it would be lovely to meet you again

x

Lynne,

You are welcome to any information on the thread. Should be the same if the Port of Calls are the same. Also the theme nights should around the same. Sorry they short changed you on three days. That was the feature we liked. But really got more time because of the storm to enjoy the interior of the ship.

Well, to share with you even though 2 years away, beverly notice it. It was almost hidden. QM2 13 days Caribbean 3 day NYC to the Caribbean Chain and back. Six Carib Islands M506 3-16 to 3-29 if I am right, Only independent Caribbean cruise. It is being done because Qx Anne is taking the World Cruise from the Mary 2 that year. 21 months as the crow flies till Embarkation Day.

Would be lovely to meet up and again. Beverly will be happy to see I contacted you.

Stay Safe....... 

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of people on my roll call last October used Saguenay guided tours dot com and seemed to like it.  The bus picked them up at the dock.  We didn't do the bus trip, but rented some e-bikes for a couple hours from the same company, which was fun.