Osaka Port in Japan (Tempozan Pier) Temporarily Closed?

pukekolive

We are booked on 12 Day Best of Southern Japan 24 October 2023 cruise on Celebrity Millennium and Celebrity have us porting at Osaka (Kyoto) overnight but all cruise schedules have us at Kobe (Osaka). I have not been able to find ANY cruise ship schedule on line for Osaka for the last several weeks.

The cruise before us has a 2 night port stay but Celebrity has them arriving at Kobe for 1 night and leaving from Osaka after another night as if Millennium changes port so passengers on thus cruise are also confused.

I have found a reference to the Tempozan Pier and Village at Osaka currently undergoing renovations in preparation for the 2025 Expo which may be the issue. A search on Google related to this comes up blank (it may be that Japan don't like to publicise this sort of thing).

Is anyone able to confirm that Osaka (Tempozan Pier) is currently temporarily closed to cruise ships thanks?

Edited by pukekolive
Incorrect

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Coquitlam Gal said:

I’m also wondering if Tempozan port (Osaka) is closed.

Celebrity Millenium’s itinerary still shows it will be docking in Osaka on Oct. 3. 

I believe according to that ports website it is open and Millie is going to be docking there. If you look at this website it shows Millie on Oct 3 docking in Osaka. https://www.city.osaka.lg.jp/port/page/0000442982.html

9 hours ago, Coquitlam Gal said:

I’m also wondering if Tempozan port (Osaka) is closed.

Celebrity Millenium’s itinerary still shows it will be docking in Osaka on Oct. 3. 

I have been communicating with a guide in Osaka and he said he is currently meeting passengers at Tempozan Port in Osaka. There is construction going on for sure but large cruise ships are still using the facility.

On 5/21/2023 at 2:40 PM, monkey@cruise said:

https://kansai-sanpo.com/tenpozan-marine-terminal2022jul/

Tempozan cruise terminal will re-open in April 2024.

Our May 2024 cruise does an overnight in Osaka.  The only change Celebrity made was shortening our port time on day 2 from 5 pm departure to 3 pm departure.  We're doing Kyoto pre-cruise, but for people hoping to spend a couple of days there, that change is probably awful.  Kobe is a 25 minute train ride to Osaka for those impacted.  That's a bit inconvenient.

19 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

Our May 2024 cruise does an overnight in Osaka.  The only change Celebrity made was shortening our port time on day 2 from 5 pm departure to 3 pm departure.  We're doing Kyoto pre-cruise, but for people hoping to spend a couple of days there, that change is probably awful.  Kobe is a 25 minute train ride to Osaka for those impacted.  That's a bit inconvenient.

The cruise terminal is being rebuilt for Expo 2025, but pier is operational, will be gangway bridge access until the terminal is complete. Here is the link for Osaka Port authority FB photos on Tempozan terminal. Enjoy the welcome and farewell shows from the local.

https://www.facebook.com/osakaportcruise?ref=embed_page  

Osaka is Japan's third largest city, 25 min train ride from Kobe, only reaches Umeda (northern Osaka)

Umeda is a major transport hub (JR lines, Osaka Metro and Hankyu lines), is a maze walk through these interlinked underground stations.

3 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

The cruise terminal is being rebuilt for Expo 2025, but pier is operational, will be gangway bridge access until the terminal is complete. Here is the link for Osaka Port authority FB photos on Tempozan terminal. Enjoy the welcome and farewell shows from the local.

https://www.facebook.com/osakaportcruise?ref=embed_page  

Osaka is Japan's third largest city, 25 min train ride from Kobe, only reaches Umeda (northern Osaka)

Umeda is a major transport hub (JR lines, Osaka Metro and Hankyu lines), is a maze walk through these interlinked underground stations.

Thanks, looking forward to our overnight in Osaka (doing Tokyo and Kyoto before the cruise).  

20 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

Thanks, looking forward to our overnight in Osaka (doing Tokyo and Kyoto before the cruise).  

I will fly in Osaka for pre-cruise stay in Kyoto. Last night, booked Shinkansen tickets to Shin-Yokohama used Hayatoko 21 discount. Then Yokohama Line (train) or Blue Line (metro line) to Yokohama cruise terminal. On some Shinkansen lines, unreserved compartments for large suitcases are a thing of the past. From now on, you'll need to reserve a special seat for your oversized bags.

2 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

I will fly in Osaka for pre-cruise stay in Kyoto. Last night, booked Shinkansen tickets to Shin-Yokohama used Hayatoko 21 discount. Then Yokohama Line (train) or Blue Line (metro line) to Yokohama cruise terminal. On some Shinkansen lines, unreserved compartments for large suitcases are a thing of the past. From now on, you'll need to reserve a special seat for your oversized bags.

I am thinking of booking Green class.  Hoping no problems on large suitcases in that class, but I hadn’t heard of this change.  

3 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

I am thinking of booking Green class.  Hoping no problems on large suitcases in that class, but I hadn’t heard of this change.  

https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/oversized-baggage/

Starting May, 2022. the rules apply to Green and Ordinary cars between Osaka and Tokyo route. 

36 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/oversized-baggage/

Starting May, 2022. the rules apply to Green and Ordinary cars between Osaka and Tokyo route. 

My routes will be. Narita airport to Tokyo.  Tokyo to Kyoto.  Kyoto to Yokohama.  Sounds like I’m good.  We have an overnight on our cruise in Osaka, so no need to get there by train.

Edited by hubofhockey

41 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

My routes will be. Narita airport to Tokyo.  Tokyo to Kyoto.  Kyoto to Yokohama.  Sounds like I’m good.  We have an overnight on our cruise in Osaka, so no need to get there by train.

If Tokyo to Kyoto and Kyoto to Yokohama not on Tokaido-Sanyo-Kyushu Shinkansen, then you are good. I will be on Tokaido-Sanyo-Kyushu Shinkansen from Kyoto to Yokohama, train is from Hakata to Tokyo, so luggage rule apply to me. I got a good discount on green car. I will fly in to KIX (Osaka Kansai) airport, from there 90 min to Kyoto by train.

Edited by monkey@cruise

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dogs49 said:

I am booked on Diamond Princess in November 2023.  Princess still says docking at Tempozan but per the port schedule found on 

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/kobe-osaka-port-11, we are docking in Kobe-Osaka.  I am confused.  You can use this to find your ship.   Not sure what to believe.  

Use this cruise schedule issued by Osaka Port itself not any 3rd party schedule.

Our Celebrity cruise which caused me to start this thread is now back on the Osaka Port schedule again (don't worry it says 2020 on it, a Japanese person has confirmed it definitely is 2023 in Japanese). Use Chrome browser as it translates the site to English:

https://www.city.osaka.lg.jp/port/page/0000442982.html

Edited by pukekolive