Question regarding hook magnets

15 minutes ago, bayportkat said:

Can you share what magnets you are using?  And do you bring your own hangers?  We are sailing our first b2b this summer and may have to do some laundry!

Bought on Amazon.  You can even find them in Walmart (hardware dept).   Yes, I bring a pack of cheap plastic hangers (there is never enough in the closet).   Sometimes you get those hangers that are just points that fit into the closet rack, won't work to hang on hooks.  

• Like 2

The magnets I get from Amazon are 22-pound, and that's the "sweet spot" for me.  

They're not so strong that I can't separate them if they stick together, and they're not so heavy that I have to worry about the weight of my bag for flying, but when stuck to the ceiling, they easily hold a wet garment on a hanger to dry.  

I never bring my own hangers -- if I need more (or if I need the kind that have a hook instead of just the "pin" that connects to a receiver on the closet rod), I just ask the room attendant.  I have never had a problem requesting extra hangers -- they always have leftovers that other guests have left behind.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

I never bring my own hangers -- if I need more (or if I need the kind that have a hook instead of just the "pin" that connects to a receiver on the closet rod), I just ask the room attendant.  I have never had a problem requesting extra hangers -- they always have leftovers that other guests have left behind.

I am the type that likes to hang all of my clothes up as soon as I get my luggage (which more times than other, I find down the hallway myself).    And many times I don't see my cabin attendant until much later to be able to ask for more. The limited hangers they have in the closet is never enough for my B2B cruises.  So I simply toss in a light pack of thin plastic hangers...works for me.  😉 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

This is the magnet I bring.  Takes up a little room but holds everything:

Scrap metal - Rails - Recycling - Electric magnet rusty metal scrap on a pile with electromagnet junkyard magnet stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

OK...I might have to use that to wash and hang my parka when we visit Antarctica later this year. 😂 😄 

• Haha 1

I bought a supply of button magnets from Amazon.  I tested two with a clean/dirty sign on my dishwasher, and they are working great.  I only want them to post documents on my cabin wall:  excursion tickets, invites, cruise compass, etc.

I travel with a travel size massage gun for muscle spasms caused by sitting for prolonged periods of time.  It's shaped, well, like a gun.  So, I take it out of my rolling carry-on, put it in the tray going through security, and then there's no delay.  They will look at it after it goes through just to make sure, but I've never had my carry-on bag sidelined for a full inspection.  I'll start putting my magnets in the tray, too.

All my credit cards, and "magnet-unfriendly" belongings go in my tote bag, anyway.

Edited by pcur

1 hour ago, pcur said:

I bought a supply of button magnets from Amazon.  I tested two with a clean/dirty sign on my dishwasher, and they are working great.  I only want them to post documents on my cabin wall:  excursion tickets, invites, cruise compass, etc.

I travel with a travel size massage gun for muscle spasms caused by sitting for prolonged periods of time.  It's shaped, well, like a gun.  So, I take it out of my rolling carry-on, put it in the tray going through security, and then there's no delay.  They will look at it after it goes through just to make sure, but I've never had my carry-on bag sidelined for a full inspection.  I'll start putting my magnets in the tray, too.

All my credit cards, and "magnet-unfriendly" belongings go in my tote bag, anyway.

I buy the round or oval ones from the gift shop on various ships, mostly to use up odd ball left over OBC.  I love them not only as souvenirs, but for doing the same thing as you....holds up my notes, invites, itinerary, etc.  

• 8 months later...

We buy ours at magnet4less.com. We get strong neodymium magnets (98 lb force for hooks, and pushpins that hold 25 sheets of paper). Never had any problems with them. I always take a lot of the pushpins with me and give them out to people we meet on board. 

• Like 1

I have a tiny cloth bag (like the size of a deck of cards) that holds my magnetic cruise hooks.  I pack it in my checked luggage, as I don't need it until I get to my room.  

I bring two types of hooks, and I find them both useful: 

- The hooks are ideal for keeping our hats up on the wall.  

- The clamps keep our paperwork up off the desk /dresser.  We also each bring a small (2x4") dollar store plastic bin, which we each keep by our side of the bed -- the clamps keep them on the wall.  We both keep our Ship ID in our bin; I drop my earrings and Chapstick into mine.  

Hook.jpg

clamp.webp

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Thanks 1