Whooo. Transatlantic Round Trip booked for Late 2024

GaryEssex

So excited.... we booked a 15 night transatlantic round trip. both myself and my wife just want to be able to stop, chill, relax and unwind. Albeit with a 1 mad day in the middle while we zoom round New York doing the bits we want to do.

My question (I'm sure we will have loads more) is when we get to New York will we have to pack and leave our cabin (Obstructed view MidShip)? and if we just wanted to go off and do our own thing do Cunard offer transfers into the city (paid or free). One last one while I think of it....lol. On our booking it says dining "Anytime" does this mean we can go when ever we want or they will assign us a time?

Cheers

Gary & Maria

• Like 1

For the NYC 'turn around' day the ship needs to clear to zero passengers [and only a minimal number of watch standers] before new folks can embark.

You should be able to leave all your stuff in the cabin - and 'in transit' passengers may even have room service breakfast available [never have been in transit for Brooklyn - only embarked/disembarked there]

As in transit passengers, you can get off early [and get an electronic stamp in your passport] and then you are free until the 'all aboard' time. You cannot re-board before embarkation starts for new passengers - but a rather Spartan lounge space is usually set up in the terminal.

Cunard usually arranges a couple of shore excursions for in transit folks - like a bus [paid - no free shuttle] that drops off and picks up near Macy's Herald Square store. There is also a ferry terminal just outside the cruise terminal gate [several past threads here and the 'east coast departures' forum for connection information ]

Edited by TheOldBear
  • Like 5

On a Sunday in June 2022 we set off at about 07:45 from our cabin.

We made it clear to terminal staff that we were only going ashore for a few hours and were ushered to a customs gate with no queue. Had photos and electronic finger prints taken, no physical passport stamp (as TheOldBear said).

We were at the Red Hook NYC Ferry terminal at 08:10, where we boarded the 08:45 ferry to Pier 11, then walked to Staten Island Ferry Terminal for 09:08 travelling on the 09:30 ferry. After some shopping at Empire Outlets and pizza and lobster mac & cheese in a bar diner returned by reverse route at 13:30 arriving Red Hook at 14:30.

We walked to front of the lines, waving our cruise cards to attract attention of staff and were ushered past the queues to security and re-boarded in about 10 minutes.

We weren't very ambitious to see much that day as were returning by air at the end of June for a longer stay. But the key time saver was making it clear to terminal staff what our status was.

• Like 1

I should have said that if you use NYC Ferry you can't pay onboard. You need to be prepared to use a ticket machine at the terminal, which might have a queue, or download their app to your phone. You can buy the tickets and validate them on the app. The staff scan the ticket onscreen when boarding so you need a mobile signal.

• Like 2

@GaryEssex I am so glad you asked this question regarding the 1 Day(in transit)  in New York as I have 2 of them coming up in late 2024, and was wondering what I may do. I am doing the same trip as I have done a couple of times before (27 nts) which means I have 2 of these days to fill. My mobility is now not as good as it was so (plus I will be a solo traveller this time) I do not think I will be able to cross on the ferry which would have been interesting to do or just wander the streets around Macys. I too am at a loss at what I can do. I do not think I want to do the 911 Tour. After reading @rakkor blog (thankyou) about Brooklyn (minus the actual walking tour lol) I thought perhaps Brooklyn would be interesting to visit for a few hours, have a coffee/lunch. Have any others spent a few hours in Brooklyn and how would I get there?. I live in the far North West of England so have never used an Uber there are only Taxis around here. Any Ideas from anyone, all options are welcome. Kindest Regard Jennie

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, VIRGINCRUISER1066 said:

Have any others spent a few hours in Brooklyn and how would I get there?

I lived in the Carroll Gardens neighborhood of Brooklyn for many years. Carroll Gardens is the neighborhood just north of the Red Hook Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.

I recommend to take a nice stroll up Court Street where it is very influenced by the old Italian neighborhood. You can find places to have lunch and bring some pastries back on board (as if you need that!). 
If you have more time, make it up to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade for stunning views of Manhattan and probably the QM2 in Red Hook. 

The movie Moonstruck was filmed in those two neighborhoods. 

Enjoy my old neighborhood!

You can take a cab or Uber. Someone at the Cruise Terminal may be able to help. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, VIRGINCRUISER1066 said:

I live in the far North West of England so have never used an Uber there are only Taxis around here.

When we lived in North Lanarkshire in Central Scotland, taxis were really cheap. In many cases 2 people were cheaper in a taxi than taking a bus.

Here taxis are extortionate and we would only ever use them in an absolute emergency. Most of them are one man bands, and you might need to call 4 or 5 before you get one available, unless you can pick one up from a rank.

But we tried UBER and it was reliable and prices although more expensive than Scottish taxis, were much more reasonable than local taxis.

Try installing the UBER app on a phone and try selecting journeys from the app. You can go far enough through the process to see what the prices are and estimated waiting times. Just don't go as far as booking unless you actually want to make the trip.

Once you have it installed you should be able to use it in any country that they operate.

Edited by D&N
  • Like 2

We've done this trip several times and will be doing so again in August.

The ferry service to Wall Street is quick and (I think) only $2.75 each way.

We always end up getting a yellow cab back to Court Street in Brooklyn. We like a little Italian restaurant called Queen.

We use the local taxi service, Aricibo and they are very reasonable. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

The ferry service to Wall Street is quick and (I think) only $2.75 each way.

They seem to have increased it to $4 since we were there last year.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, all were very helpful. I will check everything out on google maps. I think I will most probably go for the Brooklyn visit on my first In transit Day and then decide after what I want to do on the second. Once again many thanks for all your help.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your tips and info. Still not sure what we will be doing for our day in New York but we do like the idea of getting a Town Car to Central Park and then working our way back towards the shop.

Our must do's for our day are a visit to Tiffany's. Stepping into Central Park (just to say been there lol) getting a Rubens Sandwich (still trying to find best one) soaking up the atmosphere in Times Square and maybe a visit up the Rock.... Oh and maybe a cheesecake from Juniors.

We booked our round trip so we can have some down time from work and to be able to dance with my wife on the QM2 (Dance lessons are needed).

Great community here. Love it.

Gary x

• Like 5

2 hours ago, techteach said:

@GaryEssex Which cruise have you booked? What’s the number? We’re looking at a 19 day TA in December.

Not sure of the number but we set off from Southampton on 17th October 2024 go off to Le Harvey then over to New York arriving back in Southampton on 1st November.... Will try to get the number a bit later.

Gary

Edited by GaryEssex