Port of Ravenna to city transportation options

22CeeBeeNC22

1 hour ago, jonsmom said:

Thanks - my plan is to be close to train station for transfers as well.  

I have no idea which post I read it in, since there have been many on Cruise Critic about Ravenna cruises, but someone posted that there was a person with a cruise line sign greeting arriving rail passengers at the train station.  That person then directed people to the transfer bus, which apparently was waiting in the nearby (adjacent?) bus station.  They said you gave your cabin number to a person on the bus and that is how you were charged the $10/person fee.  So, for someone staying in Ravenna, it should be a matter of finding that person in the train station and/or finding that bus in the bus station.  It's possible I also read this on another major social media site when I was following the conversation on my B2B cruises from Ravenna.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

someone posted that there was a person with a cruise line sign greeting arriving rail passengers at the train station.  That person then directed people to the transfer bus, which apparently was waiting in the nearby (adjacent?) bus station.  They said you gave your cabin number to a person on the bus and that is how you were charged the $10/person fee.  So, for someone staying in Ravenna, it should be a matter of finding that person in the train station and/or finding that bus in the bus station.

I think when cruises first diverted to Ravenna, the shuttles were picking up in front of the station but it could be that the disruption in local traffic has made them relocate their loading area to the close-by parking area for touring buses (e.g., buses full of tourists on land tours who need to park in Ravenna for sightseeing).

Maybe someone can confirm, but I'm guessing the location is shown in this map (bottom right, circled). And the train station entrance/exit is also shown toward the top left, also circled. 

image.thumb.png.736ff0675eeb745c82ffcb31928a4c31.png

It's only about 2-3 blocks but I'm not sure where you'd be able to cross the tracks. Perhaps there's a passage under the train station.

I was bored.  After reading euro cruiser’s 4/10th of a mile note I started to doubt my source in my above post because I didn’t see the cruise line making people walk that far.  Then I found, in Google Streetview, what appears to be a train station elevator/shelter in the parking lot across the street on the back side of the train station.  It is signed with the Trenitalia logo and a “Stazione” lettering.  I suspect this goes down below the tracks and over to the station itself.  If a cruise line person was meeting the arriving passengers, it would be easy to direct them out the back exit into the lot right beside where cruisemom42 shows the bus station.  A much shorter walk.

In fact, cruisemom42’s map shows the elevator building labeled as “Sottopasso Cicio-Pedonale Darsena”. 

IMG_0154.png

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Just a couple of follow ups as we just completed our stay at NH and took the shuttle to the port.

NH hotel was very convenient.  Only about 1.25 blocks away from the train station. Flat grade, easy to follow walking route. Reasonable walk to sights.  You can do a loop of the touristy area of town in about an hour without stops.

Decent business class hotel though it does have some minor warts.

Found the shuttle person on the NH side of the station.  Note, apparently they show up at 11am.  We didn't see them when we went to look for them at 9am.  

Shuttle is on the other side of the station.  There are stairs to navigate on both ends but there are elevators.

Another person on the other side of the station.  Another person by the bus station itself which is about a 50m walk on flat pavement.

Cost is 10e pp.  They take your name, cabin number, and have you sign. 

We had to wait 10min for the shuttle bus.  Looks like crew take it for a ride into town too.  Bus is a typical coach bus with luggage stowed below.  Only 10 of us on it for the 12:20pm departure.  Ride was about 20m and takes you close to the check in desk with nominal walking.  It follows the path of the public bus #90 fairly closely according to google maps with a little deviation at the end.  Saw the #90 bus pass by us in fact.  Personally I think it's a reasonable walk distance wise from the #90 bus stop to the port check in but you are walking exposed to the sun without shade.  There seemed to be a walkway for pedestrians at least part of the way.  Not sure how you get past security the security check point tho our shuttle bus didn't stop.

My feedback to X would be for them to promote it.  Felt they didn't provide any info on how to get to the port.  If not for CC, I think of be struggling a bit.  Saw a bunch of people waiting for taxis by train station.  Saw others take shuttles arranged by the hotels (coach and mini bus) by the NH.

• Like 2