First Impressions of Emerald…Not Great :/

mamamusings

18 hours ago, JGmf said:

How many days is your cruise?  Seven?  If so, I'm kind of stunned that it's considered 'short'. 

(...and rather concerned as we're doing the 7 day California Coastal in mid-June...).

Yep. Seven days. And the officers referred to it multiple times as being a “short” cruise. 

On 5/21/2023 at 7:54 PM, mamamusings said:

We’re currently on the Emerald for the California Coast cruise, and so far we’re *really* not impressed with Princess. I’ve sailed several times on NCL, and my husband is a new cruiser. Neither of us are feeling like we’re likely to want to sail with Princess again. I’m hoping that our experience will improve over the next few days, but I’m not very optimistic. 

1) Food frustrations: 

— The buffet is much too crowded and close (particularly compared to what we had on the NCL Bliss), and seems to shut down between meals for a lengthy rearranging rather than staying open continuously.

— In order to have lunch together with the foods that we want, we have to go to three different places—the buffet, Slice or the Salty Dog Grill, and a bar (for sodas). And the weather isn’t exactly conducive to standing in line at the grill. It’s been frustrating and time consuming.

— Both orders we’ve placed through the app today have had something missing or incorrect. First, even though I ordered tea a pizza and drinks order arrived with only the pizza, and a request to get the drinks never yielded them—I ended up walking down two decks to get to a bar where I could get the requested drinks. Then, when I ordered ginger tea with lemon wedges this afternoon, because my stomach was off, I got a selection of completely different tea bags along with lukewarm water in a to-go cup (I clearly specified the wedges and that it was to eat in). My husband ordered a club sandwich that came with the bread completely dry, so he had to go up to the buffet to get some mayo to put on it. We could have called to ask for those things, but at that point it would have taken so long it wouldn’t have been worth it. (The water for the tea would have been ice cold!)

— On our breakfast door hanger for this morning, we asked for both coffee and tea. We got the coffee, and we got tea bags, and we even got honey. However, we didn’t get any hot water. 🙄

2) I also wasn’t super impressed at the meet and greet today, when the officers kept answering questions by saying that on “short cruises” like this one they just weren’t able to do some of the entertainment people like—including shows that get advertised on the screens but aren’t actually scheduled, or trivia games. I really got the impression that they felt that this cruise wasn’t a particularly important one for them. Not all of us can afford the time or the money for longer trips, and it bothered me that they seemed to see us as sort of second-class cruisers. 

3) When we stopped by guest services this morning to ask what the pool and hot tub hours were (since last night a lot of them weren’t even filled), they said they didn’t know! That seems like kind of a basic question to be able to answer. 🤷‍♀️

4) We noticed this morning that the underside of my husband’s pillow case had blood stains on it (clearly old ones). While I’m sure that the washing process removed any actual hazards, it was still pretty gross. 

I don’t like to think of myself as a particularly demanding traveler, but this has really been a disappointing experience thus far. Please tell me that it will get better. 😄

You indicated you have the Plus package. Why are you ordering the included coffee and tea and not the specialty ones from the app?  

18 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

I'll be honest, this statement you were told by an officer, and the reinforcement of this, really confuses me. We've done the usual 7-day jaunts that Princess does and by no means did we feel entertainment offerings were being sacrificed compared to what we've had on longer itineraries, especially on the larger Royal-class vessels (which would be a more appropriate 1:1 comparison to the Bliss). I'm curious to know what specific plans you were looking forward to that were advertised but are essentially not happening?

There have been minimal options for trivia and karaoke—one 45-minute session of each most days. (Trivia issue was brought up in meet and greet; it was one of the times they referenced this being a “shorter” cruise.) Of the two  theater shows, one is only 30 minutes long, and the other was on the second night and it’s not clear if it will be offered again. Almost no ability to sit in hot tubs at night while at sea enjoying views of the stars, since most get covered up pretty early. At the martini and liquor tastings there were so many people we couldn’t get close enough to see or hear what was being said, let alone sit down, even arriving almost an hour early. My husband was looking forward to eating at Steamers. No MDR reservations available at all if you didn’t book them weeks ahead. 

Overall it’s not a terrible experience, just a disappointing one. We still plan on enjoying our vacation. It’s just not what we had hoped for in terms of service and activity options. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, mamamusings said:

Yep. Seven days. And the officers referred to it multiple times as being a “short” cruise. 

Emerald typically does 15 night PC and Hawaii sailings. She's in LA for the summer doing 4, 5, 7 night cruises, maybe that's why they referred to it as short. The Emerald hasn't done a 7 night sailing for about a year. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

You indicated you have the Plus package. Why are you ordering the included coffee and tea and not the specialty ones from the app?  

Because it wasn’t listed on the door hanger and at the time we didn’t know we could. Either way, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect hot water with my tea bags and honey in the morning regardless of whether we have the package. 

And, as I said, when I did order specialty tea through the app later I didn’t get what I requested. (Wong types of tea bags, along with lukewarm water in to-go cups rather in a carafe or teapot.)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mamamusings said:

There have been minimal options for trivia and karaoke—one 45-minute session of each most days. (Trivia issue was brought up in meet and greet; it was one of the times they referenced this being a “shorter” cruise.) Of the two  theater shows, one is only 30 minutes long, and the other was on the second night and it’s not clear if it will be offered again. Almost no ability to sit in hot tubs at night while at sea enjoying views of the stars, since most get covered up pretty early. At the martini and liquor tastings there were so many people we couldn’t get close enough to see or hear what was being said, let alone sit down, even arriving almost an hour early. My husband was looking forward to eating at Steamers. No MDR reservations available at all if you didn’t book them weeks ahead. 

Overall it’s not a terrible experience, just a disappointing one. We still plan on enjoying our vacation. It’s just not what we had hoped for in terms of service and activity options. 🤷‍♀️

You can always just go to the dining room without a reservation.  Sometimes, that line moves faster than the line for those with reservations.  

4 minutes ago, mamamusings said:

Which theater show is 30 minutes? Production shows are 40-45 minutes. 

Did you go to the MDR reservations area when you boarded? They hold back reservations and you'll be able to secure them. You just need to be flexible with your dining time. 

There are minimal activities on port days. Karaoke and Trivia has to be hosted, and events last up to 45 minutes, as cruise staff goes to the next event, whether it's on stage with guests or behind the scenes prepping. 

If you have the drink package, don't need to go to the tastings. Anything "FREE", people show up by the masses. 

Steamers has been gone, and never returned after the pause. 

3 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Emerald typically does 15 night PC and Hawaii sailings. She's in LA for the summer doing 4, 5, 7 night cruises, maybe that's why they referred to it as short. The Emerald hasn't done a 7 night sailing for about a year. 

From their standpoint it might be short. But from our standpoint, it made this cruise feel like it wasn’t important to them. We’re not experts in Princess ship itineraries, but I don’t think we should need to be in order to feel like we matter to the line. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mamamusings said:

Because it wasn’t listed on the door hanger and at the time we didn’t know we could. Either way, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect hot water with my tea bags and honey in the morning regardless of whether we have the package. 

And, as I said, when I did order specialty tea through the app later I didn’t get what I requested. (Wong types of tea bags, along with lukewarm water in to-go cups rather in a carafe or teapot.)

There's a lot of pre cruise information on the Princess website, or what your TA should have directet d you towards. Sounds like you went in blindly.  

When you order specialty tea on the app, you choose To Stay or To Go, and they put the tea bag in the cup (to go) or pot (to stay) for you.  International Cafe will have tea selection. If you order for delivery to the piazza, it comes directly from there. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mamamusings said:

From their standpoint it might be short. But from our standpoint, it made this cruise feel like it wasn’t important to them. We’re not experts in Princess ship itineraries, but I don’t think we should need to be in order to feel like we matter to the line. 

Where were these officers speaking?  Did you overhear them?  Was it a gathering?  

Who is the CD?

Just now, startedwithamouse said:

Which theater show is 30 minutes? Production shows are 40-45 minutes. 

Did you go to the MDR reservations area when you boarded? They hold back reservations and you'll be able to secure them. You just need to be flexible with your dining time. 

There are minimal activities on port days. Karaoke and Trivia has to be hosted, and events last up to 45 minutes, as cruise staff goes to the next event, whether it's on stage with guests or behind the scenes prepping. 

If you have the drink package, don't need to go to the tastings. Anything "FREE", people show up by the masses. 

Steamers has been gone, and never returned after the pause. 

If you know all those things it advance, that’s fine. We didn’t.

As first-time Princess cruisers, how were we supposed to know to go to the MDR reservations area (or even that there *was* one)  to find out about “held back” times? Princess didn’t provide that information. 

The karaoke and trivia offerings on our first at sea day weren’t any better—one session of each.  I’m attaching the events listing from that day. I think it’s a pretty short list for a full ship with almost 3000 passengers. 

At the meet and greet, they specifically said the Disco show was 30 minutes.

Just now, mamamusings said:

I’m attaching the events listing from that day. I think it’s a pretty short list for a full ship with almost 3000 passengers. 

forgot to attach event list! Here it is. 

IMG_6890.jpeg

2 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Where were these officers speaking?  Did you overhear them?  Was it a gathering?  

Who is the CD?

At the cruise critic meet and greet. 

I have no idea who the CD is. I don’t think they were among the officers who attended. 

1 minute ago, mamamusings said:

If you know all those things it advance, that’s fine. We didn’t.

As first-time Princess cruisers, how were we supposed to know to go to the MDR reservations area (or even that there *was* one)  to find out about “held back” times? Princess didn’t provide that information. 

The karaoke and trivia offerings on our first at sea day weren’t any better—one session of each.  I’m attaching the events listing from that day. I think it’s a pretty short list for a full ship with almost 3000 passengers. 

At the meet and greet, they specifically said the Disco show was 30 minutes.

You need a new TA, a good one will guide you to have the best vacation. 

Just now, mamamusings said:

At the cruise critic meet and greet. 

I have no idea who the CD is. I don’t think they were among the officers who attended. 

The CD speaks after the shows and runs the events and manages cruise staff. 

They are the vibe of the ship. 

6 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

There's a lot of pre cruise information on the Princess website, or what your TA should have directet d you towards. Sounds like you went in blindly.  

When you order specialty tea on the app, you choose To Stay or To Go, and they put the tea bag in the cup (to go) or pot (to stay) for you.  International Cafe will have tea selection. If you order for delivery to the piazza, it comes directly from there. 

Clearly you feel this is our fault, and nothing I say will convince you otherwise. 🤷‍♀️ So I won’t try rebutting point by point. 

However, I still think that this is not a great  way to welcome first time cruisers on the line. 

• Like 2

I’m pretty much done responding on this thread, because I’m getting tired of being told that it was our responsibility to know all of those things in advance. (FWIW, we did research in advance. We just clearly didn’t find everything we needed.)

I am hopeful that things will improve. But as a user experience expert (who has done research in both tech and hospitality), I think this has been a poor experience for us as first time Princess cruisers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mamamusings said:

I’m pretty much done responding on this thread, because I’m getting tired of being told that it was our responsibility to know all of those things in advance. (FWIW, we did research in advance. We just clearly didn’t find everything we needed.)

I am hopeful that things will improve. But as a user experience expert (who has done research in both tech and hospitality), I think this has been a poor experience for us as first time Princess cruisers. 

A cruise or any life activity is dependent on your attitude. Sounds like from the get go, of the meet and greet, you took officer's comments the wrong way. Sure they are shorter cruises.  It looks according to the events listing, your cruise has lots and lots of events and fun things to do.  

A cruise is what you choose to make of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mamamusings said:

It may just not be the cruise line for you.  We’ve cruised across many different lines and extensively on Princess.  For us, it just suits everything we want from a cruise experience.  We recently went on another line and we were just kind of bored.  I’m sure there are those that would also disagree with our assessment on that other line but when we went onto Princess right after that, we felt the arrival of all the things we enjoy about cruising.  
Everybody likes different things .. the world would be boring if they didn’t.  And one cruise line would certainly be very busy and crowded.  
Bon voyage with wherever you decide to go next!  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I’ve ever only seen 2 different production shows on any cruise, a couple of which were over 2 weeks.  Like you, I’m finding it hard to believe any ship would actually have 4 .. unless you count each performance, two each of the two nights for a total of 4.

So a quick review of Patters I have from past cruises, 10 Days or longer. It seems we always had at least three different production shows.

On the Star, a 15 Day cruise we had Motor City, Stardust and Born To Dance. You can argue if The British Invasion is a production show, but I call a show with dancers and additional musicians a production show.

On the Caribbean, a 10 Day we had Born To Be Wild, Welcome Showtime and Broadway Ballroom.

On the Royal Princess, a 17 Day we had Encore, The Secret Silk, Sweet Soul Music and Colors of the World.

Looking through all the 14+ cruises we had we never had less than three production shows.

• Like 1

Sorry to read that your experience on Emerald isn't working out, @mamamusings.

I was on Discovery twice in the last seven months and both itineraries were five days from Los Angeles to Cabo, so an even shorter sail than yours. We had production shows every night (early and late showings) and it seemed like there was plenty of other activities throughout the day to be found. Maybe because Discovery is a newer and larger ship there is more planned throughout.

However, the app was hit or miss. I love the concept and when it works, it works great. When it doesn't work...well, it's frustrating to say the least. I had a handful of app orders completely cancelled and didn't notice until looking at the status. There were a couple times when drinks arrived more than two hours late and one order was left on the floor outside my cabin door (maybe they thought I was in the shower?). In my opinion, what's worse is the absence of servers in common areas who would normally ask if you'd like a cocktail - they all appeared to be racing around in an attempt to deliver orders from the app. 

PS: Sorry folks here are turning this into your fault. You more than entitled to share your experience. But if you ever give Princess a second shot, try one of the larger, newer ships. I was also mostly NCL in the past, but converting over to Princess based on my own experiences in the past year...then again, I don't get on a ship for the shows or day time events, so my opinion is subjective! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, tlc1972 said:

Sorry to read that your experience on Emerald isn't working out, @mamamusings.

PS: Sorry folks here are turning this into your fault. You more than entitled to share your experience. 

Something else you would not have known beforehand is the cheerleading section on Cruise Critic's Princess forum.  For whatever reason, there are some who will not hear a bad word about their favorite cruise line.  (The head cheerleader changes from time to time, but it's easy to figure out who's who quickly enough.)  You are having a less than stellar cruise, which happens to all of us eventually, and I'm sorry for that.  If NCL is your "cup of (hot) tea." so to speak, may your next trip with them be perfect!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We were on Discovery one week coastal last month.  They had a production show every night, at least 3 trivia a day, craft sessions, galley tour, towel animals, vegetable carving, tea, wine tasting, bingo, plus some outdoor events etc.   

We were very pleased to be back on princess after a truly boring Holland America cruise - talk about nothing to do!