Forward Facing Balcony On Iona

Hi There, I'm looking at the forward facing Balcony Cabins on Iona. 

How are they for Wind? There is a large glass panel in front of the door that I am finding slightly worrying?  

I have been allocated one on Deck with but for a small fee I can change it. I'm guessing if you sit down you cant see over the top ? 

Andy images / experiences would be appreciated! 

13 minutes ago, AndyLovesCruises said:

How are they for Wind? There is a large glass panel in front of the door that I am finding slightly worrying?  

I have been allocated one on Deck with but for a small fee I can change it. I'm guessing if you sit down you cant see over the top ? 

what deck Andy?

We had one of these on deck 14, it was very windy! The balcony is bigger but you can only see the sea when standing. That’s the same whether you’re sitting behind or in front of the glass panel.

The only time we enjoyed it was the sailaway from Lisbon as we had lovely views and it wasn’t too windy. It might be ok if you were sailing through the fjords as you get a fantastic open front view and the fjords may protect you from the wind.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leomins said:

We had one of these on deck 14, it was very windy! The balcony is bigger but you can only see the sea when standing. That’s the same whether you’re sitting behind or in front of the glass panel.

The only time we enjoyed it was the sailaway from Lisbon as we had lovely views and it wasn’t too windy. It might be ok if you were sailing through the fjords as you get a fantastic open front view and the fjords may protect you from the wind.

Maybe the Sea days from and to the UK may be windy but I'm thinking the other 5 days in the Fjords could be a good trade off.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AndyLovesCruises said:

Deck 12, its the very end cabin, looks like its next to a suite that has a wrap around Balcony! 

Steel fronted balcony and restricted access in high winds, same for the suite !

7 hours ago, AndyLovesCruises said:

We have been on Iona twice.

This photo was when we walked on the promenade on deck 8 and it was very windy.

Personally I would look at other options.

IMG_20210911_165509.jpg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We have been on Iona twice.

This photo was when we walked on the promenade on deck 8 and it was very windy.

Personally I would look at other options.

IMG_20210911_165509.jpg

See that curved rail seperating the prom deck from the crew area? On Arvia it has been extended upwards so you can't see the sea from the forward balconies  except perhaps if you stood on a table. The crew area now has a prom deck surface as well. Probably so the crew can actually see the sea on their breaks.

• Like 2

We had one on Iona deck 12 to the Fjords last year and found it extremely windy. Very difficult to open and close the door. We had a guaranteed cabin, but I would not chose one, especially to the Fjords.