Cruising with the grandchildren

Daisymabel

Hello everyone,

DH and I have cruised several times on the lovely QM2 and we're familiar with her layout. In July 2024 we are treating our 10 year old grandchildren to an EB TA with us and then some time in Europe. They are really good  😇😇 and like us,  love dressing up for dinner and other special occasions. It must be in their genes.

Does anyone have pictures of an inside room set up for sleeping 4 people? I'm trying to work out if it's better for us to have a double bed configuration or two singles with the children above. I'm interested in where the ladders are placed for the top bunks. I know that some of you will recommend a balcony room or other upgrade to make things easier however there is only so much money in the pot so an inside room it is. 🙂

I understand it's not possible to post lot's of pictures or video of the children's clubs due to privacy but I would be interested in hearing from others who have taken 10 year old youngsters onboard and the type of activities that were provided. Social gatherings, special movie screenings, craft activities ...... that sort of thing. I believe there will be more children onboard due to the summer holidays so more activities may be available.

Thanks everyone, 

Daisy 

1 hour ago, Daisymabel said:

Hello everyone,

DH and I have cruised several times on the lovely QM2 and we're familiar with her layout. In July 2024 we are treating our 10 year old grandchildren to an EB TA with us and then some time in Europe. They are really good  😇😇 and like us,  love dressing up for dinner and other special occasions. It must be in their genes.

Does anyone have pictures of an inside room set up for sleeping 4 people? I'm trying to work out if it's better for us to have a double bed configuration or two singles with the children above. I'm interested in where the ladders are placed for the top bunks. I know that some of you will recommend a balcony room or other upgrade to make things easier however there is only so much money in the pot so an inside room it is. 🙂

I understand it's not possible to post lot's of pictures or video of the children's clubs due to privacy but I would be interested in hearing from others who have taken 10 year old youngsters onboard and the type of activities that were provided. Social gatherings, special movie screenings, craft activities ...... that sort of thing. I believe there will be more children onboard due to the summer holidays so more activities may be available.

Thanks everyone, 

Daisy 

Just out of interest to assist, one Googled and found a Utube video of 7 minutes showing a tour of the stateroom with the actual setup for 3 pax, which may help.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Pax

In the unlikely event of a child falling from a bunk you would be safer in single bed formation as it would be difficult for them to fall on top of you. Having it as a double would break their fall but your injuries would probably be more serious than anything they would suffer.

Looking at layout I'd certainly put the ladder at foot of bed on side without the desk. It would be difficult having ladders facing both ways between the bunks. If space allows at desk side I'd put that one at foot as well. Most 10 year olds should be flexible enough to access from any direction.

We regularly host a family of 4 in a 10.26m2/110sq/ft room with bunks crossing the top of the double bed. The room layout was designed with them in mind. But they don't spend much time in the room other than for sleeping.

It will be a tight squeeze but all the more incentive to be out and around the ship enjoying it's facilities.

On the falling comment. I do mean a child in their sleep rolling about and accidentally falling rather than being thrown out by bad weather!

Edited by D&N

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Just out of interest to assist, one Googled and found a Utube video of 7 minutes showing a tour of the stateroom with the actual setup for 3 pax, which may help.

I googled and I guess I just wasn't putting in the right search criteria. Thanks for your time in finding this. 

2 hours ago, Thaxted said:

Just to supplement Port Royal's video link, if you look here, you'll find a photo of stateroom 5033 set up for three people. https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/stateroom-details.php?ship=Queen-Mary&cabin=5033. As you can see, it will be a tight squeeze for the four of you. 

Agreed, it will be cozy but we will cope for 8 nights. We've travelled in an inside room with just the two of us and a balcony room. Value for money wise, the inside room will work for us. We don't think we'll all be in there very much except for sleeping. Thanks for the information. 

1 hour ago, D&N said:

In the unlikely event of a child falling from a bunk you would be safer in single bed formation as it would be difficult for them to fall on top of you. Having it as a double would break their fall but your injuries would probably be more serious than anything they would suffer.

Looking at layout I'd certainly put the ladder at foot of bed on side without the desk. It would be difficult having ladders facing both ways between the bunks. If space allows at desk side I'd put that one at foot as well. Most 10 year olds should be flexible enough to access from any direction.

We regularly host a family of 4 in a 10.26m2/110sq/ft room with bunks crossing the top of the double bed. The room layout was designed with them in mind. But they don't spend much time in the room other than for sleeping.

It will be a tight squeeze but all the more incentive to be out and around the ship enjoying it's facilities.

On the falling comment. I do mean a child in their sleep rolling about and accidentally falling rather than being thrown out by bad weather!

Oh my goodness!! We definitely don't want an granny flattening incident. I can't stop singing 'Grandma got run over by a reindeer' now🤣Thanks for your insight.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Winifred 22 said:

It’s my understanding that if one or two of the Pullman berths are being used there is no option on the bed configuration. It has to be two singles. 

Interesting, that may be Cunard's policy so the decision will be made for us.👍

19 hours ago, Daisymabel said:

Interesting, that may be Cunard's policy so the decision will be made for us.👍

It may be now, but I’m fairly sure I’ve seen a photo a few years ago with the room set up as a double with upper bunks. There was a comment that this was what they had requested but wished they hadn’t. Getting in and out of the lower bed was really awkward as there was nowhere near enough room to stand up below the upper bunks.

On 5/24/2023 at 9:02 PM, Winifred 22 said:

It’s my understanding that if one or two of the Pullman berths are being used there is no option on the bed configuration. It has to be two singles. 

This is my understanding as well