Zuiderdam Explorations Cafe

Explorations cafe is a coffee shop, it is called explorations as it is near the Shorex data center and on other ships near the library. It just has pastries and cookies.   The other dining options are the lido, the dive in, the Pinnacle and Canaletto.  I don’t recall the other options, someone else will fill you in. 

What is the Princess International Cafe?

Sounds like more hot savory items, panini's etc than what is available at the HAL Explorations Cafe on the Zuiderdam which is more pastry, finger food and specialty coffees.

But other venues on HAL ships offer choices more hot snacks - Dive in, NY Pizza and the come back of the build your own Taco-Nacho Bars. Plus they are keeping some Lido stations open longer now, while main food service shuts down between breakfast-lunch-dinner transitions - the salad bar and other smaller offering options are open when the main sections close down. Just not in one central location like the International Cafe. 

The Explorations Cafe on the Zuiderdam is in the Crows Nest. They have a few very small cookies/brownie bites on a plate under a glass dome at the bar. It’s disappointing compared to the fabulous cookies and pastries on display on the Koningsdam.

5 hours ago, Crew News said:

There is a schedule for pastry changes in the Exploration Cafe so you can choose what time to visit to get your favorite goodies.

Inquiring minds want to know where to find this schedule. 🙂  Are they ship specific?

Edited by Shalandara

Explorations cafe on the Zuiderdam used to have lots of items in the showcase next to the counter in the old location. We were really disappointed last year to see they have moved it over to combine it with the bar. They only had a few biscotti on a plate when we were there. Disappointing. Especially disappointing when we went up at 4 pm hungry after being ashore and finding the Lido all closed (yup) and hoping for a little nibble of something. 

2 hours ago, Shalandara said:

Inquiring minds want to know where to find this schedule. 🙂  Are they ship specific?

I thought i posted the answer during my Alaska cruise but I could not find it so I am reposting from my scribbled notes.  This question was posed this question on two HAL ships in seven days and received the same answer:

6:30 - 10:30 AM - Regular and chocolate croissants

10:30 AM - 2:30 PM - Bran muffins

2:30 - 6:30 PM - Almond tart and muffins

6:30 - 9:00 PM - Chocolate crisps

Chocolate and vanilla biscotti most of the day.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sunviking90 said:

Explorations cafe on the Zuiderdam used to have lots of items in the showcase next to the counter in the old location. We were really disappointed last year to see they have moved it over to combine it with the bar. They only had a few biscotti on a plate when we were there. Disappointing. Especially disappointing when we went up at 4 pm hungry after being ashore and finding the Lido all closed (yup) and hoping for a little nibble of something. 

No Dive IN, no Taco Bar, No NY pizza, no Room Service? Last cruise, certain Lido stations did stay open - salad bar,  ice cream and sweets.

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

No Dive IN, no Taco Bar, No NY pizza, no Room Service? Last cruise, certain Lido stations did stay open - salad bar,  ice cream and sweets.

Dive in had a line up of about 75 people, there was no taco bar operating this cruise, no pizza, room service said it would be about 1 hour as everyone else was trying that too. We passed as our dinner was at 5:45, so no point eating room service at 5 pm. Honestly, there was NO food. A first on my over 35 cruises. This was August 2022 and the ship was full. I’ve never seen the lido completely closed before without even the pasta /salad open but there was nothing.

Edited by sunviking90

The “Old Explorations Cafe” as many of us knew from the Amsterdam, etc. is still alive and well on the Zaandam…a coffee shop in the lovely library. However, the “updates” years ago took out libraries, Exploration Cafe (as we knew it) and redid the Crows Nest ( not a great change IMO)…the Zuiderdam has only some specialty coffees/teas available in the Crows Nest Bar along with a few minor cookies/biscottis. However, HAL listened to our complaints and installed a great library with loads of new best sellers! Improvement!

Pizza is available in the Lido by the piece and is “ok.”  Food is fine! Room service slow for dinners but great for breakfast…within the half hour they say. Dive In can be ordered ahead which saves time. Lido is almost always open…a few hours here and there when it’s not. (Yes, 4-5:30 closed)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1