Larger Table Etiquette in QG on QM2

ratflinger

I searched, sorry if I missed the answer. We have book a west bound crossing in fall of 2024.  Last time we had a nice window table for 2 and enjoyed it, but we frequently chatted with the table of 4 beside us. This time we have decided upon a table of 6, to meet new people.  What is the proper etiquette for dining in a group like this.  Are the first people to the table expected to wait a bit or do we just start when we arrive?  We don't want to be rude, but neither do we want to wait an hour if the other folks decide to eat later.

• Like 2

Assuming  the etiquette is the same on all ships, there is no real rule to this. In general, the table has mutually agreed a window of time in which to sit down to dine but that window can be a few mins to half an hour. Then you get those who dine on the dot at six thirty and won’t budge so they are on pud when we sit down. 
I would say seven thirty to seven forty five has been our most popular window and generally, we ordered after waiting say five mins and when the amuse bouche comes and folk still haven’t arrived, we continued with dinner but that was a very rare occasion.

Basically, play it by ear for a day or two. You’ll soon suss out which way to go. 🙂

• Like 3

Interesting question and answer. We've wondered about this also. We tend to eat just as a couple and have avoided a larger table partly, but not wholly, because we weren't sure what to expect in terms of when we can and can't eat, or can and can't leave. We hate to hang around waiting for people but  wouldn't want to appear rude by starting before others arrived or leaving before others have finished. We have done the same thing as the OP - enjoyed a table for 2 but chatted with neighbouring tables.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Interesting question and answer. We've wondered about this also. We tend to eat just as a couple and have avoided a larger table partly, but not wholly, because we weren't sure what to expect in terms of when we can and can't eat, or can and can't leave. We hate to hang around waiting for people but  wouldn't want to appear rude by starting before others arrived or leaving before others have finished. We have done the same thing as the OP - enjoyed a table for 2 but chatted with neighbouring tables.

No rudeness involved if you need to be a bit hurried and you want to get through dinner a little faster on occasions. Just inform your waiter. It’s your holiday and you do what you want although I do question how those who eat on the dot of six thirty and decide to share a large table, can expect a ‘community experience' as it’s not a popular time to eat on the whole.

38 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

Hmm, the larger table probably wouldn't work for us as we do intend to eat on the earlier side, but thanks for the info. Hope you are enjoying your cruise!

We are thank you. One or two little glitches and I would say the menus haven’t been to my taste on a few days so am eating off piste by necessity rather than choice but that’s my taste. Others are loving the menus.

As for our cabin, it would take an incredibly picky passenger not to enjoy a two weeker in this beautiful cabin.

It’s so beautiful, we’re spending a lot of time in it rather than around the ship.

Eating early would not preclude you enjoying the company of your fellow table mates over dinner as you can linger over coffee as they eat. Leaving to catch the early show, which is what our early bird fellow table mates did meant they missed any real interaction with the rest of the table over dinner.  Worth giving a go I would say.

I would add that having a table for 2 but some chatty neighbours is not a bad option.  By all means articulate this with the Maitre d' when you first go there, it's not an unusual request, and the Maitre d' should have been in the business long enough to get you the perfect spot. Equally for those couples (or even singles) who don't particularly want to interact  then the system is usually flexible enough about this to find some other table. It's very rare for anyone to say here "I really hated being disturbed / ignored during meals", somehow it always seems to work out.

18 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I would add that having a table for 2 but some chatty neighbours is not a bad option.  By all means articulate this with the Maitre d' when you first go there, it's not an unusual request, and the Maitre d' should have been in the business long enough to get you the perfect spot. Equally for those couples (or even singles) who don't particularly want to interact  then the system is usually flexible enough about this to find some other table. It's very rare for anyone to say here "I really hated being disturbed / ignored during meals", somehow it always seems to work out.

Good thought apart from the fact most of the tables will have been pre assigned although it’s guaranteed there will be a whole raft of passengers wanting to change their table position.

• Like 1

Don't know why this question even comes up. It's very simple. You come to your table whether it be a solo or for eight or anything in between, between the hours published  in the daily program for the meal in question. No consultation with any other passenger is required. The only "etiquette" is not to chew with your mouth open.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sullaRaffaello said:

Don't know why this question even comes up. It's very simple. You come to your table whether it be a solo or for eight or anything in between, between the hours published  in the daily program for the meal in question. No consultation with any other passenger is required. The only "etiquette" is not to chew with your mouth open.

Seems reasonable, except for that open mouth chewing nonsense.  😂

5 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

I think, if I had chosen to be on a table for 8, I should want to see them, so after the first night, I might consult and see what the general feeling was. Why choose to dine with others if they arrive at 6.30, and you appear at 8.50?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sullaRaffaello said:

I must emphasise, my comments have been about dinner and no other meal.

When choosing to book large table dining, one assumes a modicum of social interaction over dinner is hoped for and to do that successfully, it helps to dine at a similar time  to one’s fellow diners. To follow on, it helps to have a mutually agreed window of time in which to dine, and please note the word 'dinner'. Other meals, in our experience are on an up to you/turn up whenever basis

Of course it’s not a rule, but it is an aid to know when you’re likely to be billy no mates or part of a congenial dinner group, dining together so I can understand the asking of such a question by those thinking of dining on a large table for the first time.

It is however, in my book, a form of etiquette to inform fellow table mates if you’re not going to be around for dinner so no one is waiting for you to turn up if 'a window' has been mutually agreed on.

• Like 2

What happens if, as a couple, you get stuck with a family/group of six? The social interaction may not be as involved vs a table of couples. That couple may feel like an outsider. 

NE John, that happened to us when we were joined by a group of six America friends. We had a fabulous time.

On one cruise, on a table of seven, four of us asked to move because of one totally obnoxious person. We were accommodated.

• Like 2