LONDON TO SOUTHAMPTON (I know...another)

SakeDad

I apologize for yet another post on the topic...but I have read the others and still need advice. We are staying in Shepherds Bush a few days precruise. Deciding if it's better to do National Express bus from Victoria Station or a shared shuttle? We do not want to spend hundreds when the bus seems fine at less than $50....any input is appreciated 

7 hours ago, SakeDad said:

I apologize for yet another post on the topic...but I have read the others and still need advice. We are staying in Shepherds Bush a few days precruise. Deciding if it's better to do National Express bus from Victoria Station or a shared shuttle? We do not want to spend hundreds when the bus seems fine at less than $50....any input is appreciated 

I've just booked National Express from Heathrow to Southampton for £18

Please be aware you will need a taxi or a walk through Southampton to get to the cruise terminals, so you may want to factor that into your costs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RedgeToo said:

I've just booked National Express from Heathrow to Southampton for £18

Please be aware you will need a taxi or a walk through Southampton to get to the cruise terminals, so you may want to factor that into your costs.

Yes its the same distance from the Train station and the coach station  if taking a taxi try and get a fixed price  on cruise days  (  on cruise days  the roads get gridlocked

so a metered taxi can be expensive.    

OP  is there on 16th july  Sunday and only 3 ships showing  I think the

102 berth is the horizon   and next to city terminal 101    which are probably the easiest traffic wise.  

https://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

20 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Yes its the same distance from the Train station and the coach station  if taking a taxi try and get a fixed price  on cruise days  (  on cruise days  the roads get gridlocked

so a metered taxi can be expensive.    

Hi Alaunis,

Only metered taxis are permitted to pick up from taxi ranks or hailed in the street.

I guess it'd be possible to call up an Uber when you arrive, but if there's gridlock (not frequent) then who knows how soon one would reach you.

Normally a metered taxi cost no more than £10 to the furthest cruise terminal (QE11Terminal), and both Horizons & City Terminals are walkable from bus or coach stations in 15 to 20 minutes.

JB 🙂

On 6/1/2023 at 10:34 AM, SakeDad said:

We quite often get National Express from Victoria to Southampton... usually the 8.30am coach, arriving in Southampton about 10.45am. It has always run on time and been comfortable enough.

We are tending to avoid the trains for the time being, given the possibility of strike action.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/6/2023 at 6:26 PM, Grumpella said:

No, it drops u off at the bus station. There are taxis waiting there. Flat fee of 10 pounds to take u to hotel or pier.

Yes, but not a flat fee.

Minimum is about £6, it shouldn't be more than £10 to any cruise terminal - or City & Horizon cruise terminals are walkable in about 15 minutes - level ground. all on sidewalks, plus pedestrian-friendly lights to cross the main road

JB 🙂 

10 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Yes, but not a flat fee.

Minimum is about £6, it shouldn't be more than £10 to any cruise terminal - or City & Horizon cruise terminals are walkable in about 15 minutes - level ground. all on sidewalks, plus pedestrian-friendly lights to cross the main road

JB 🙂 

I'm thinking we may walk if the weather is good. I hear traffic into the ports can really get grid locked and I don't want to sit in  taxi when I could be on the ship!

26 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

I'm thinking we may walk if the weather is good. I hear traffic into the ports can really get grid locked and I don't want to sit in  taxi when I could be on the ship!

Hi Dad,

Summer saturday traffic does get a bit slow - several ships plus the regular busy saturday shoppers.

Grid-lock is unusual, but that happened a few satudays ago - Border Force decided to target a 5,000-passengerr ship returning from a cruise to the Canary Islands (seriously-cheap smokes). EVERY passenger's luggage was searched, which delayed disembarkation by hours, that delayed embarkation, and port traffic gummed-up the entire city centre. Folk missed their flights, cars & buses & trucks didn't move, taxi meters were spinning aimlessly, and the City Fathers told Border Force their fortunes. But apparently they confiscated hundreds of cartons of cigarettes. What a lawless bunch we Brits are 🙄 

Irrelevant, but some years back they did the same to a flight arriving from the Canaries at little Bournemouth airport. Instead of the usual one or two customs officers and sometimes none, they drafted in a bunch of them. The cigarettes piled up at the customs point. eventually the last passenger was dealt with and they looked up from their haul & paperwork - in a now-empty luggage hall a dozen suitcases were still going round & round the carousel, with their labels roughly torn off 🤣🤣🤣

But such screw-ups are rare.

Don't walk to the QE11 Terminal, it's deep inside the docks with the sidewalk separated from heavy truck traffic by only a yellow line. The other terminals are walkable, but you might change your minds if it's raining.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull
  • Thanks 1