Transfer to TA?

calvin81

I have a deposit on a fall 2024 cruise. I also purchased travel insurance through Viking. After an admittedly small amount of research, the price of that seemed decent as it included cancellation for any reason. As the date for final payment draws near (ridiculously soon IMHO) I've been reading about TA credits and wonder if it's possible to switch to a TA at this point. I was a bit impulsive in putting down the deposit without as much research as I've done in the past. Haven't traveled since pre-pandemic days, which is a poor excuse! Any advice? Thanks!

I'm guessing TA referrals aren't allowed, but I wonder if readers can advise whether they felt small, local TA's vs. larger, national agencies were better? I don't know that I need guidance in that I already chose the cruise line and itinerary. Better discounts through larger agencies? 

Why would it be necessary, or beneficial, to transfer to a TA after booking?  I'm still trying to decide if booking with a TA or directly with Viking is better.  Seems like a TA would provide OBC where Viking doesn't.   But would a TA give OBC after booking?

45 minutes ago, Packman1000 said:

Why would it be necessary, or beneficial, to transfer to a TA after booking?  I'm still trying to decide if booking with a TA or directly with Viking is better.  Seems like a TA would provide OBC where Viking doesn't.   But would a TA give OBC after booking?

Yes they do.

1 hour ago, Packman1000 said:

Our TA gives OBC after we book and send to her.

We like to book direct so that we talk to Viking and get the Cabin we want and then once the initial invoice comes through we email to our TA and she takes over.

13 hours ago, MikeyB said:

In the US you have 30 days to transfer from initial booking.

I just booked a cruise directly with V, on MEM day offer.  Told agent I would transfer booking to my TA.  Said it was fine by him. 

He told me OK if within 60 days.  I did it about a week later.  My large TA gives max amount OBC allowed by V.  I'm a very low maintenance customer.

We both have received conflicting info. re: transfer window.

Edited by FetaCheese
Addl info

7 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

My large TA gives max amount OBC allowed by V.  I'm a very low maintenance customer.

Same with us, we're very low maintenance for our TA and repeat customers.  I don't think I called her once for our last cruise.  We also go with a large chain TA and get max OBC.  In fact, our TA gave us more than the max amount Viking allows for OBC on our last cruise ($800 instead of the allowed $600 for our 14-night cruise).  I thought Viking would cut back the OBC amount but we got the full $800 😃.

• Like 1

Happy to report I easily switched to a TA today. Went to cruise compete, got a few offers, but then looked up the TA we used in 2015. She gave a better offer than her agency offered through cruise compete. Perhaps because I'm a repeat customer? A couple emails was well worth it! 

On 6/4/2023 at 12:35 PM, CDNPolar said:

Wow... only 30 days in US to transfer?  

In Canada we have 60 days from the booking date.  Wonder why the difference?

In UK it is not possible to transfer the booking, even when TA prepared to forgo commission as they make their money on pre,  post and flights