Train from Anchorage to Seward?

barkleysmom

11 hours ago, Brian V said:

Wow, glad we booked when we did.

It would have been nice to have a few hours in Seward but...a well rested wife makes my life sooooo much better...and safer 🙂

I hear you! That 6:45 AM departure is what made me book the NcL train 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
Posted (edited)

Traveling from Anchorage to Seward by train sounds like a fantastic experience, especially if you enjoy train rides. I'm not entirely sure about NCL's current offerings for a train transfer, but it might be worth keeping an eye on their website or contacting them closer to your travel date to see if the option becomes available.
As for getting from the Seward train station to the ship, walking with bags could be a bit of a trek, especially if you have a lot of luggage. You might consider looking into local transportation options like taxis or shuttle services to make the journey more manageable.
It's great that you're planning ahead and thinking about the logistics of your trip. If you're still looking for more information, you can also check out options like the Milwaukee Train Horn Gun M18 with Remote.

Edited by Broodomni

2 minutes ago, Broodomni said:

Traveling from Anchorage to Seward by train sounds like a fantastic experience, especially if you enjoy train rides. I'm not entirely sure about NCL's current offerings for a train transfer, but it might be worth keeping an eye on their website or contacting them closer to your travel date to see if the option becomes available.

As long as the train is operating (mid-May), NCL should have the Anchorage to Seward afternoon train as an option. Board the train at the airport. Another option is to take the early morning Alaska Train - boards in downtown Anchorage, arrives in time to take an afternoon excursion in Seward - the Kenai fjords are well worth it!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Broodomni said:

As for getting from the Seward train station to the ship, walking with bags could be a bit of a trek, especially if you have a lot of luggage.

If you book the charter train - the one that picks up at the airport, not downtown - it drops you off right at the ship...and your bags are checked at the airport station and reappear at your cabin door that afternoon / early evening 🙂

If you take that early morning train from downtown then yeah - it's a pretty good hike (or a cab ride? do they have cabs available?) to the cruise terminal.

And yes, the ride is fabulous...many glaciers to be seen, wildlife is possible, fantastic crew on the train serving snacks and beverages.

You get your first excursion before you even board the ship!

Edited by Brian V

19 minutes ago, Brian V said:

If you take that early morning train from downtown then yeah - it's a pretty good hike (or a cab ride? do they have cabs available?) to the cruise terminal.

I'm pretty sure if you take the early morning train they will take your luggage to the ship - although I went in a day early, so mine went to my hotel.

There is a free city shuttle that goes to the train station and the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

We went on the train to Seward to join the Norwegian Sun, our first ever cruise back in 2015. The train journey is the best train journey we have ever been on. The scenery and service was fantastic. We did book very early and our seats were 1A and 1B the front seats in the dome carriage, if that's the right terminology. 

We had a couple of nights at a hotel just outside Seward and then boarded the Sun. We enjoyed the the cruise so much we will soon be on our 8th cruise with another two booked all with NCL.

10 hours ago, julig22 said:

I'm pretty sure if you take the early morning train they will take your luggage to the ship - although I went in a day early, so mine went to my hotel.

There is a free city shuttle that goes to the train station and the cruise terminal.

You are correct.   We took the early morning train on the same cruise and our luggage was delivered directly to our cabin. 

• Like 1