Sapphire Princess Question

bartsplace

I recently sailed with Princess on the Caribbean Princess and they are still using the wall mounted hair dryers.

The dryers are very old and I recall them on Princess ships when I first began cruising with Princess.   Does 

anyone know if Sapphire Princess has updated their hair dryers.   I will be on a 32 day cruise and I am 

hoping to not have to pack a hair dryer.   Thank you for any information you can provide.

The hair dryer in the photo above is currently manufactured and sold, under a different name. My guess is, the reason for this style has to do with that locking wall mount and (if I recall correctly) auto shutoff feature.

The big question is, how would you power your hair dryer? We don't know where in the world you are and a Euro type C and USA type A are pretty standard on Princess ships. Bring adapters if yours is otherwise.

In the bathroom. You have 20VA service in the bathroom using either a US 120V A plug, or a type C, 230V.  I don't know about service at the desk.

Thread here sometimes asks about shavers and water piks in the bathroom and shavers average 6 watts(VA) Water Piks are about 15 watts. A hair dryer is 1200 watts. Big difference.

9 hours ago, LACruiser88 said:

We were on the Sapphire in March for 32 days (Buenos Aires to LA) and below is a photo of the hair dryer in our mini-suite.

20230401_161838.thumb.jpg.3309776d00b26c29732741aa5234410b.jpg

We've had this useless style of hair dryer in the past and have always been able to get a decent, plug-in one from the room steward.

40 minutes ago, PLW0520 said:

I always understood that you were not allowed to bring your own?

You might be confusing hair dryers with surge protected power strips?  My DW has always brought her own hair dryer and curling iron. 

The Sapphire is an older ship and all outlets do not have equal amounts of power they can deliver.

A standard blow dryer needs an extremely high wattage, and usually even higher wattage  just to start up. Although it takes considerably longer, it is best to make due with the one provided on the ship.