Shoe question - Jewel

ctalldog

The women in my group going on the Jewel March 26 are obsessing about their shoes... Can you wear dressy flip-flops (as in ones with sequens or jewels) with your capris in the dining rooms? Can you wear open toe sandals at least or does it have to be a closed toe?

Thanks !

Yes,you can wear just about anything any time of the day or night.Dressy sandals,open toes,flip flops whatever! I personally brought 9 pairs on the Feb. 26th Jewel sailing,so I understand obsessing.Picked up a pair or two at the ports too! Enjoy Freestyle, it's the only way to go!

Now I'm really confused.... Norweigen just sent a reply to my question about shoes as well.... They said that flip flops and sandals are worn only for breakfast and lunch, not in the dining rooms..... now what?

Now I'm really confused.... Norweigen just sent a reply to my question about shoes as well.... They said that flip flops and sandals are worn only for breakfast and lunch, not in the dining rooms..... now what?
Not sure how specific you were in your questions to NCL but on just about every cruise I've ever been on (dozens) I've worn nice dress sandals at dinner. I've seen others wearing nice sandals and I've seen others wearing dressy flip flop type shoes. Would I wear Nerf like flip flops to dinner? No. But nice dress shoes of any kind have always been OK. Just doing a random search for flip flops, I got this site for Nordstrom. http://store.nordstrom.com/category/cat_boutique-medium.asp?boutique=sandal_shop_women&category=2376778~2372808~2372949~2375533&cm_ven=google&cm_cat=shoes&cm_pla=generic&cm_ite=flip%20flops As you can see, flip flops run the gamut from nice to casual. Most people know what's OK for a sit down dinner and what should be reserved for the beach.

It sounds like whenever people call NCL, they get answers about policies (e.g., shoes, bringing soda/water onboard) that are stricter than those that are actually practiced. As far as I can tell, these verbally conveyed policies are not real-world policies, nor are they published in any of the literature that NCL distributes.

To the OP, the only restrictions that I've ever seen are "no bare feet". Pretty much anything goes as far as footwear is concerned.

Not sure how specific you were in your questions to NCL but on just about every cruise I've ever been on (dozens) I've worn nice dress sandals at dinner. I've seen others wearing nice sandals and I've seen others wearing dressy flip flop type shoes. Would I wear Nerf like flip flops to dinner? No. But nice dress shoes of any kind have always been OK. Just doing a random search for flip flops, I got this site for Nordstrom. http://store.nordstrom.com/category/cat_boutique-medium.asp?boutique=sandal_shop_women&category=2376778~2372808~2372949~2375533&cm_ven=google&cm_cat=shoes&cm_pla=generic&cm_ite=flip%20flops As you can see, flip flops run the gamut from nice to casual. Most people know what's OK for a sit down dinner and what should be reserved for the beach.

I just cruised, and yes there is a dress code that says no jeans and shorts and what not in the dining rooms after 530.. but i refuse to be told what i can wear. I was on a cruise to relax and be comfortable on the islands. We went to a specialty resturant and i wore jeans and a nice blouse, nobody said a word to me. When u pay all this money to crusie, u should be able to wear what u like. I understand having one formal night, but im not bringing all my dress clothes on a cruise.

I just cruised, and yes there is a dress code that says no jeans and shorts and what not in the dining rooms after 530.. but i refuse to be told what i can wear. I was on a cruise to relax and be comfortable on the islands. We went to a specialty resturant and i wore jeans and a nice blouse, nobody said a word to me. When u pay all this money to crusie, u should be able to wear what u like. I understand having one formal night, but im not bringing all my dress clothes on a cruise.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Yes, you get to decide where to spend your hard-earned money. But once you've done so, you are expected to follow the rules of the ship that you've chosen. After all, you didn't pay to buy the ship, so you don't get to make the rules.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you. Yes, you get to decide where to spend your hard-earned money. But once you've done so, you are expected to follow the rules of the ship that you've chosen. After all, you didn't pay to buy the ship, so you don't get to make the rules.

Thanks for saying EXACTLY what I was thinking John.

-Monte

Why does it matter to any other cruisers that i chose to wear jeans to dinner? I understand not wearing ur bathing suit, or beach tank top. jeans however i feel should be acceptable. If i feel what i left my stateroom in, is comfortable attire for my evening then i should be good to go for the night. That is why i chose freestyle cruising.

Are people really that snooty that there food does not taste as good b/c im in jeans?

Why does it matter to any other cruisers that i chose to wear jeans to dinner? I understand not wearing ur bathing suit, or beach tank top. jeans however i feel should be acceptable. If i feel what i left my stateroom in, is comfortable attire for my evening then i should be good to go for the night. That is why i chose freestyle cruising.

Are people really that snooty that there food does not taste as good b/c im in jeans?

I honestly don't care what you wear. I just disagree with your attitude - that paying for a cruise gives you the right to disregard whatever rules you dislike.

Why does it matter to any other cruisers that i chose to wear jeans to dinner?

It really doesn't matter to me what you wear, but you do know what the rules are, so if they should stop you from entering a dining room, please don't come back here later saying how you were mistreated. Everyone has the same rules and we should all expect that they be followed. Or does this mean that they don't apply to you? ;)

Heck, if they didn't have a no jeans rule, I'd probably wear them to the dining room myself---But they do, so I don't. And the fact that I personally think it should be OK doesn't matter a lick

-Monte

I honestly don't care what you wear. I just disagree with your attitude - that paying for a cruise gives you the right to disregard whatever rules you dislike.

im sorry, i actually agree with you. The way i posted that does come across with a harsh attitutude. Its not that because i paid for the cruise that i feel i should be able to dress how i like, you are correct. I just feel that i am on vacation, and i want to be comfortable, getting dressed up is not my thing. Blaitant disregard for rules is wrong, and that would be coming into the dining room dressed entirely inappropriately, but jeans i just think can be made to look nice. I would not leave my cabin unless i felt i was dressed appropriate.

I think that alot of people feel this way, and that is why NCL really doesnt enforce this rule.. however i do know there are alot of people adament about being dressed up.

Brittany

It really doesn't matter to me what you wear, but you do know what the rules are, so if they should stop you from entering a dining room, please don't come back here later saying how you were mistreated. Everyone has the same rules and we should all expect that they be followed. Or does this mean that they don't apply to you? ;)

Heck, if they didn't have a no jeans rule, I'd probably wear them to the dining room myself---But they do, so I don't. And the fact that I personally think it should be OK doesn't matter a lick

-Monte

Mistreated?? Oh no... I appreciate everyone on this board so much. The wealth of information i have gained from this board far outweighs any difference in opinion. Actually on our cruise we only went to one specialty resturant so as to not have to deal with any of these issues. We mostly ate in the outdoor areas cause we wanted to enjoy the scenery and fresh air. :)

Brittany

I don't think I was talking to you specifically with my post but OK. You went on a cruise. You wore what you wanted when you wanted. Great. Glad that worked out for you. :confused: However, paying money for something doesn't give you carte blanche to treat it any way you want. How I miss the way cruising used to be. It used to be an event. Now it's...well, I won't say what I think it is. :cool:

Going back to the original question, no one is going to say something about your shoes. They are not as visible as wearing jeans to dinner. I personally got better each cruise by bringing less shoes. I stick with the very comfy black dressy "flip flop", day flip flop to go to the pool etc., comfy keds flip flops, sneakers for excursions and sandals for formal night. Normally I used to pack more, but hey, black ones go with everything, and I normally end up wearing the same ones anyway.

So wear what you are comfortable in, because you will do a lot of walking!

I don't think I was talking to you specifically with my post but OK. You went on a cruise. You wore what you wanted when you wanted. Great. Glad that worked out for you. :confused: However, paying money for something doesn't give you carte blanche to treat it any way you want. How I miss the way cruising used to be. It used to be an event. Now it's...well, I won't say what I think it is. :cool:

Again i apologize for coming across as tho im a person to disregard rules. I didnt mean to respond directly to ur post either, i just meant to reply to the thread. My respeonse really didnt have anything to do with ur post, sorry. I do think i hit a hot button here. Being this was my first cruise i really wasnt expecting a dress code, and was surprised by it. I guess that is one thing i missed on the board.

Have a good night,

Brittany

im sorry, i actually agree with you. The way i posted that does come across with a harsh attitutude. Its not that because i paid for the cruise that i feel i should be able to dress how i like, you are correct. I just feel that i am on vacation, and i want to be comfortable, getting dressed up is not my thing. Blaitant disregard for rules is wrong, and that would be coming into the dining room dressed entirely inappropriately, but jeans i just think can be made to look nice. I would not leave my cabin unless i felt i was dressed appropriate.

I think that alot of people feel this way, and that is why NCL really doesnt enforce this rule.. however i do know there are alot of people adament about being dressed up.

Brittany

Glad we're on the same page. For me, one of the reasons why I love NCL is their resort casual dress code. I don't blame anyone else for wanting to be comfortable while on vacation. And I do believe that we can all do that while still abiding by the ship's rules.

I am so glad that NCL is doing away with the no jeans rule (according to most recent cruisers, the "no jeans" wording has been removed from restaurant entrances.)

It is my vacation and I like being able to dress as I like. That is my choice, just as it is someone else's choice to dress up if they like. Each person should have the option to dress as they want without anyone else criticizing them.

If Brittany wants to wear jeans, who cares? If Johnql wants to wear a tux, who cares? People should do what is comfortable for themselves.

Brittany is right about one thing, it appears that there are more people that feel the way she and I do because NCL is moving in that direction.

-- No dining room is reserved anymore for those in formal attire only

-- The jeans restriction has been removed from most ships

-- The simple lack of enforcement of the dress code on several ships. (based on reports on this website...)

People have a right to their opinion and, imo, to dress as they like.

I do think i hit a hot button here. Being this was my first cruise i really wasnt expecting a dress code, and was surprised by it. I guess that is one thing i missed on the board.
Thanks Brittany. It doesn't bother me if people want to wear jeans. What does bother me is looking messy. Not saying you looked messy. Just saying overall. Jeans can look nice and fit in very well but why do some people ruin it by wearing torn up ratty jeans with holes or jeans that drag down their backside? That's the problem I have with dress on a cruise or anywhere. I feel the same way about women who wear clothes that show too much skin or men that wear hats at the table. I think it looks bad and it takes away the specialness I feel while eating at a nice restaurant on my vacation. Who wants to sit at a table next to someone whose breasts are popping out or looking at some kids boxer shorts? Yes, we all paid to be there and because no man (or woman) is an island, I think we all need to take into consideration how others feel and find a level of dress that is equal to our surroundings. And jeans can fit into that if done right. That's my opinion and it's OK if everyone disagrees with it.

Thanks Brittany. It doesn't bother me if people want to wear jeans. What does bother me is looking messy. Not saying you looked messy. Just saying overall. Jeans can look nice and fit in very well but why do some people ruin it by wearing torn up ratty jeans with holes or jeans that drag down their backside? That's the problem I have with dress on a cruise or anywhere. I feel the same way about women who wear clothes that show too much skin or men that wear hats at the table. I think it looks bad and it takes away the specialness I feel while eating at a nice restaurant on my vacation. Who wants to sit at a table next to someone whose breasts are popping out or looking at some kids boxer shorts? Yes, we all paid to be there and because no man (or woman) is an island, I think we all need to take into consideration how others feel and find a level of dress that is equal to our surroundings. And jeans can fit into that if done right. That's my opinion and it's OK if everyone disagrees with it.

I totally agree with you!!! You worded that beautifully. Like i said, if someone came into the Bistro in jeans and football jersey that is inapropriate, but nice jeans, and a nice blouse can be done with class. Its a matter of common sense. But some people do lack that and that is why there are policies in place.

Happy Cruising,

Brittany

I am so glad that NCL is doing away with the no jeans rule (according to most recent cruisers, the "no jeans" wording has been removed from restaurant entrances.)

It is my vacation and I like being able to dress as I like. That is my choice, just as it is someone else's choice to dress up if they like. Each person should have the option to dress as they want without anyone else criticizing them.

If Brittany wants to wear jeans, who cares? If Johnql wants to wear a tux, who cares? People should do what is comfortable for themselves.

Brittany is right about one thing, it appears that there are more people that feel the way she and I do because NCL is moving in that direction.

-- No dining room is reserved anymore for those in formal attire only

-- The jeans restriction has been removed from most ships

-- The simple lack of enforcement of the dress code on several ships. (based on reports on this website...)

People have a right to their opinion and, imo, to dress as they like.

Keystone,

I did not see any signs that said no jeans or shorts at the resturants. I only ate in the Royal Palm Bistro tho, but i explored the others when deciding which one we would go to. I wasnt even aware of a formal poilcy until the 6th day of the cruise when i was bored and read thru the leather book that is left in the room for u. It is listed in the very back, that same night i believe i also found it in very very small print on the freestyle daily. Prior to that, i only heard rumors from other cruisers. When waiting for our table at the bistro i was a lil nervous the hostess would send me away, b/c i had only brought a blue jean skirt and really didnt want to wear that b/c it was chilly. Anyways, thank you for supporting me, and i agree with you that everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion. The people who were dressed up on my cruise really did look nice. I just wondered how they kept their clothes from wrinkling. lol :)

Brittany

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I want to wear a tux. Let me make one thing perfectly clear: one of the main reasons why I love NCL is their resort casual dress policy.

In general, I agree with you, KeystoneCruiser - people should do what is comfortable. The only caveat that I place on that approach is that it should fall within the guidelines set down by the cruise line. That was the only beef that I had with Brittany, which has since been ironed out when she explained that she didn't really mean to express such a harsh attitude about disregarding the ship's policies.

Archived