Junior Suite vs Ultra Spacious ocean view on Symphony of the Seas

I'm looking at booking a 7 night cruise (as a birthday surprise for my husband) for my family of 5. Our kids at that time will be 11, 9 and 6. I'm debating on an ultra spacious ocean view room that says it can sleep up to 6 people (271 sq ft) or a junior suite which states it can sleep up to 5 (287 sq ft). The ultra spacious is around $3900 for this cruise (kids sail free) and the junior suite is about $5200. I know the junior suite grants access to coastal kitchen as well as priority boarding but I'm not sure that alone is worth the extra $1300. Has anyone stayed in both room types that is able to give me their opinion on why one would be better than the other? The room size itself doesn't seem that much different to me. I can't ask my husband for his opinion as this is a surprise. 

The sleeping arrangements will be much better in the ultra spacious.  The downside is no balcony per the cabin you are describing.   Remember, you only get access to CK for dinner (not any time or meal) and that is depending on space.  So if the ship is full and CK is busy, you could be limited in if or how many nights you could dine in the CK.  

You would get to use the suites line when embarking with the JS and double C&A points.  Those are worthy perks.  Personally, I think for sleeping arrangements, you’ll be much better off in the ultra spacious.  

Not sure how much KSF matters on price for this trip, but I’d price out two separate cabin next or across from each other.  Then you have two bathrooms, a real bed for everyone, and more space.  Can’t hurt to compare.  Is also see if any other real suites are available.  Sometimes grand suites or even CLS can be close enough in cost to make it worth it.  It might be possible to have 5 in a CLS and they have 2 bathrooms.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, kml22 said:

I'm debating on an ultra spacious ocean view room that says it can sleep up to 6 people (271 sq ft) or a junior suite

There are two different categories of Ultra Spacious Ocean View cabins (with or without balcony) The ones with no balcony are all the way forward under the bridge, and while they are spacious (our oldest son put his two teenagers and their friends in one of these) they need to have their drapes drawn at night so the light from the cabin doesn't interfere with the bridge operations. I would look at the ones with a balcony that are on the sides of the ship. They are about the same size as a GS (375 sq ft/108 sq ft balcony)but without the GS price or perks.

Edited by orville99

35 minutes ago, orville99 said:

There are two different categories of Ultra Spacious Ocean View cabins (with or without balcony) The ones with no balcony are all the way forward under the bridge, and while they are spacious (our oldest son put his two teenagers and their friends in one of these) they need to have their drapes drawn at night so the light from the cabin doesn't interfere with the bridge operations. I would look at the ones with a balcony that are on the sides of the ship. They are about the same size as a GS (375 sq ft/108 sq ft balcony)but without the GS price or perks.

FYI. The US with balconies aren’t 375.  They are 275 sf. plus the balcony.  Only the accessible version is about 375 sf.  Of course the version with the balconies are even more expensive.  Often nearly the same as a GS.  

1 hour ago, topnole said:

The sleeping arrangements will be much better in the ultra spacious.  The downside is no balcony per the cabin you are describing.   Remember, you only get access to CK for dinner (not any time or meal) and that is depending on space.  So if the ship is full and CK is busy, you could be limited in if or how many nights you could dine in the CK.  

You would get to use the suites line when embarking with the JS and double C&A points.  Those are worthy perks.  Personally, I think for sleeping arrangements, you’ll be much better off in the ultra spacious.  

Not sure how much KSF matters on price for this trip, but I’d price out two separate cabin next or across from each other.  Then you have two bathrooms, a real bed for everyone, and more space.  Can’t hurt to compare.  Is also see if any other real suites are available.  Sometimes grand suites or even CLS can be close enough in cost to make it worth it.  It might be possible to have 5 in a CLS and they have 2 bathrooms.  

This is very interesting, thank you! I priced out two connecting rooms and that's pretty similar to what the US no balcony room would be. Now I'm kind of between those two options. Thank you so much for your insight!

50 minutes ago, orville99 said:

+1 for this option. They are category 1A and we love them. 

16 minutes ago, topnole said:

FYI. The US with balconies aren’t 375.  They are 275 sf. plus the balcony.  Only the accessible version is about 375 sf.  Of course the version with the balconies are even more expensive.  Often nearly the same as a GS.  

Just priced them both and the US with balcony is more than $1100 less than a GS. And FYI, the reason why I stated the size the way that I did is because the 375 sq ft includes the balcony sq ft.

Edited by orville99

6 minutes ago, kml22 said:

This is very interesting, thank you! I priced out two connecting rooms and that's pretty similar to what the US no balcony room would be. Now I'm kind of between those two options. Thank you so much for your insight!

For you age kids, two bathrooms is very helpful.  I have 3 kids as well. 7,5, and 2.  The two older always seem to need the bathroom at the same time.  Having two bathrooms is a blessing for that reason alone.  Shower time it helps a ton too.  The downside of two regular cabins is very little floor space in each.  The US or JR has real open floor space.  But, two bathrooms is more important for many.  

We did Symphony in March.  Your kids will absolutely love it.  The youngest at 6 may be big enough to do almost everything for kids (assuming they aren’t particularly short) which will be great for the family overall.  48 inches is the key for the big kid water slides.  

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Just priced them both and the US with balcony is more than $1100 less than a GS. And FYI, the reason why I stated the size the way that I did is because the 375 sq ft includes the balcony sq ft.

Are you sure that is what you meant?   Because you said there were the same size as a GS.  A GS is 375sf plus the balcony, so more like 475sf.  So in fact they aren’t the near the same size as a GS.  They are the same size as a Junior Suite.  

1100 difference per person or total?   

And how much is the price difference between a US with balcony vs without.  That is probably the more important comparison.   

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Not my job.

It’s also not your job to wrongly say that a GS and a US balcony are the same size.  Or to pull up the price difference of the other cabins.  But OK.  

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, topnole said:

For you age kids, two bathrooms is very helpful.  I have 3 kids as well. 7,5, and 2.  The two older always seem to need the bathroom at the same time.  Having two bathrooms is a blessing for that reason alone.  Shower time it helps a ton too.  The downside of two regular cabins is very little floor space in each.  The US or JR has real open floor space.  But, two bathrooms is more important for many.  

We did Symphony in March.  Your kids will absolutely love it.  The youngest at 6 may be big enough to do almost everything for kids (assuming they aren’t particularly short) which will be great for the family overall.  48 inches is the key for the big kid water slides.  

Unfortunately I booked two connecting rooms, called Royal to add my 3rd kid to one since it would only let me book for 4 (which I've done in the past but that was when staying in a 2br suite)  and Royal told me I can't add her to one of the rooms because they have a max capacity of 2 apparently. So my only option is a US or a larger suite. What a joke. I've been in those rooms and I don't see why two kids couldn't sleep on the bed and one on the couch but I feel like it all depends on who you get on the phone at Royal and 9/10 times I feel like I end up with someone awful. I asked them to cancel my booking so I can go back and look at options again and he said he couldn't cancel the room that I put my husband as the primary guest of that room. He said my husband is the one that needs to call and cancel, thus  ruining this birthday surprise. Fml. 

5 minutes ago, kml22 said:

Unfortunately I booked two connecting rooms, called Royal to add my 3rd kid to one since it would only let me book for 4 (which I've done in the past but that was when staying in a 2br suite)  and Royal told me I can't add her to one of the rooms because they have a max capacity of 2 apparently. So my only option is a US or a larger suite. What a joke. I've been in those rooms and I don't see why two kids couldn't sleep on the bed and one on the couch but I feel like it all depends on who you get on the phone at Royal and 9/10 times I feel like I end up with someone awful. I asked them to cancel my booking so I can go back and look at options again and he said he couldn't cancel the room that I put my husband as the primary guest of that room. He said my husband is the one that needs to call and cancel, thus  ruining this birthday surprise. Fml. 

That sucks. I probably should’ve mentioned that I never book online if there is any chance it is a tricky situation.  I always call Royal   With 5 in a booking it can get more complicated.  I just don’t like to risk booking anything and paying deposit if I have to go back and add or delete someone and the agents are the only ones who can add a fifth if you are all in one cabin.   Don’t know about the primary, but just ask them to switch the primary name and maybe they will let you.  Id also ask if they have any connecting or even side by side cabins that could hold 3.  Seems there could be someone.  

Also, If you are inside 24 hours of booking their may be some options to cancel fully.  Perhaps ask.  

On 6/8/2023 at 4:10 PM, kml22 said:

I agree having sailed with kids- the two balcony cabins offer more privacy and two bathrooms- more comfortable for everyone.

2 hours ago, kml22 said:

I've been in those rooms and I don't see why two kids couldn't sleep on the bed and one on the couch but I feel like it all depends on who you get on the phone at Royal

RCI won't change the capacity limit for a certain cabin, regardless of who you get on the phone - they are set. Once on board, you can have 10 people sleep in there if you want.

3 hours ago, kml22 said:

Here's how I understand it.

It's not always just the room capacity, it has to do with the Muster Station capacity that the room is assigned to. Every room is allocated 2 spots, even if there is only a single person booked. I am not positive, but they may even allocate 2 spots to unbooked rooms also. Then there are the rooms that can technically hold 3 & 4 people, but once the extra muster station space is filled up, they will not book a third or forth person in any of those rooms, only 2 people.

21 hours ago, kml22 said:

Just have a male friend or relative call and say they're him.