Copenhagen to Copenhagen June 11-25 Sailing The Coast of Norway

SLSD

I know that some of you are going to be doing the Norway itinerary in July, so I wanted to comment on weather and what type of clothing is needed.  Yesterday was quite cool--meaning the temperature hovered in the 40s and 50s Fahrenheit.   There was also a sprinkle of rain while we were off the ship.   We were glad we had layers.  So--my advice is to bring a raincoat for sure as well as several layers which will fit under your raincoat.  I didn't wear my gloves yesterday, but had them with me and if we had been outside a bit longer, I would have put them on.  A warm cap is also advised.  I was amazed that some people got off the ship just wearing a sweatshirt or similar lightweight clothing and no raincoat. .  I suppose it depends on what you are used to.  Perhaps July will be warmer, but we are glad we came with sufficient layers.  

• Like 2

Yesterday, we were in the Lofoten Islands.  We took a ship's tour--a long one--and were very fortunate to have an excellent and very personable guide.  On our tour, in addition to the Viking museum, and dried fish here, there and everywhere, we saw many islands.  We went through several tunnels and drove through quite a few villages.  I'll include some photos here just to give a flavor of the countryside as well as the design of homes in the villages. It was a great day. 

We just don't have any complaints about this cruise yet.  Today, the internet was down for part of the day--probably due to satellite issues.  It's back now and all is well.  

IMG_5608.JPG

IMG_5640 (1).JPG

IMG_5587.jpg

IMG_5557.jpg

IMG_5628.JPG

IMG_5678.JPG

IMG_5605.jpg

IMG_5602.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 8

On our tour of the Lofoten Islands yesterday, we stopped off in one village for lunch.  As you might imagine, it was a buffet, but I soldiered through and enjoyed it.  There was a note from SB that our tour would be up to "local standards" and the same for our restaurant meal.  It included such things as fish stew, crab salad, potato salad, deer stew, smoked salmon, baked peppered salmon and chocolate pudding.  Don't worry, I didn't try everything, but especially liked the potato salad and both kinds of salmon.  

The restaurant was very cozy and I like to think somewhat typical of a village restaurant on the water.  

By the way, we took potluck on our suite and its location.  We are on the 9th deck and fairly close to the bow.  Fortunately, we have had fairly smooth sailing so far.  We are always very satisfied with a basic Veranda suite.  I love having six pillows on the bed and the bed suits us perfectly in terms of comfort.  Our suite is in excellent condition and has plenty of closet space.  The veranda furniture is in excellent condition as well.  

IMG_1282.JPG

IMG_5621.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 8

Last year, We didnt’t  have internet part of the day prior to Tromso and while we were docked there.  However, the internet was very good the rest of the trip.  On our first norway cruise in 2008, also a 14 day cruise, the ship was without internet for 5 or 6 days! 😱

nancy

Edited by nancygp
  • Like 1

We've been above the Arctic Circle for several days now and today we were high above Tromso Norway taking in some great views.  Note how huge the rock cliff is and how small our Ovation looks down below.  

IMG_5734.jpg

IMG_5735.jpg

• Like 5

Tromso, Norway has an easily accessible "old town" which is a very easy walk from the pier where Ovation docks.  I would say it is less than two blocks away.  There is a beautiful church in this area that you can easily find.  It is the Tromso Cathedral which was built in Gothic Revival style in 1861.  The cathedral is painted a pale yellow and is well worth a visit inside.  Directly across the street (on the side) from the church is the restaurant where Mr. SLSD and I had lunch.  It is called Emma's.  It is a small wine bar with a short lunch menu.  We enjoyed it immensely.  It is cozy and small and very pleasant with a great wait staff and chef.  We both chose to have pork schnitzel and an excellent glass of Sauvignon Blanc (a real step up from the included ones on the ship). For dessert we each had a piece of house made chocolate with a sprinkling of ground lingonberry.  It was memorable.  

IMG_5785.jpg

IMG_5789.JPG

IMG_5790.jpg

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5777.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

• Like 6

Loula told us this morning that Seabourn has changed its mind and is going back to the title of Cruise Director.  She said that her name tag labeled Entertainment Director would be going into the bin.  She is happy about this as she says that Cruise Director better describes her job.  

This morning we had scenic cruising on our way to Honningsvag.  Mimosas, Apple Cider, and Hot Chocolate were served in the Observation Lounge.  It was a very relaxing morning.  

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Loula told us this morning that Seabourn has changed its mind and is going back to the title of Cruise Director.  She said that her name tag labeled Entertainment Director would be going into the bin.  She is happy about this as she says that Cruise Director better describes her job.  

This morning we had scenic cruising on our way to Honningsvag.  Mimosas, Apple Cider, and Hot Chocolate were served in the Observation Lounge.  It was a very relaxing morning.  

Well, that was short lived!  John Barron announced the current title change during the April crossing on the ovation.

sorry we didn’t go into the church in Tromso.  We had sometime in the morning to walk around and had a tour in the early afternoon

sounds like the scenic sailing this morning was lovely.

enjoy Honnigsvag.  We’ve been there three times.  We lucked out last year on our visit to the Nord Kap as it was sunny/clear and in the low 60’s…the complete opposite from our visit in 2008.

Nancy

• Like 1

Ovation arrived in Honningsvag at around noon this morning and by 1pm we were headed to the North Cape.  On the way, we stopped at a Sami Camp. Samis are the indigenous people of the Nordic  lands.  They are the only people in Norway allowed to herd reindeer.  We had learned about these people at the great museum in Tromso yesterday.  They have endured discrimination in Norway as well as in other Nordic countries.  Now, they have their own Parliament and are consulted about policies which affect them.  The young man in the photo who was showing us a reindeer from his flock told us that he is modernizing and changing from old ways.  After stopping at the Sami camp, we continued on to the North Cape.  What an experience.  I'm still pinching myself.  Were we really there?  What a thrill.  I'll post some photos later.  

IMG_5876 (1).JPG

IMG_5877.JPG

IMG_5879.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 7

There was a winding road up to the North Cape.  We were amazed when we got there at the very new and elaborate center built by the Norwegians.  It's a multistory building, mostly underground due to the extreme windiness of the site.  We were extremely fortunate today as the weather was picture perfect.  The sky was blue with very few clouds and almost no wind at all.  So--we found ourselves at the North Cape at the Northernmost point of Europe--with the North Pole straight ahead.  The site itself is magnificent.  We didn't fully realize how magnificent until we watched a film at the center. The photography done via drones showed where we were and it was breathtaking.  I've taken a few photos but they do not completely convey the magnificence of the area.  The second photo shows the monument marking the Northenmost point in Europe.  The third photo looks toward the North Pole.  The last photo shows a NATO radar station in the area.  There are actually two of them.  

IMG_5901.JPG

IMG_5928 (1).JPG

IMG_5916.JPG

IMG_5949.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 7

A view of the city of Honningsvag from this morning.   The drive to the North Cape from Honningsvag is through tundra--yes--the kind of topography we all learned about in fifth grade.  It was fascinating.  No trees grow in the this area, but there are all kinds of low growing plants that reindeer feast on.  Some of the plants are quite green and other are brown.  

IMG_5829.jpg

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 6

22 hours ago, SLSD said:

Some of the passengers got up at 4:30am this morning to get on RIBS (Zodiacs) and motor around Storstoppen Island,  I took this short video of some of them returning to the ship a few minutes ago.  

My wife and I will be on one of these zodiacs in about 6 weeks and I’m very excited about it. And the trip to the North Cape. Thanks for your description and the pictures.  What perfect weather for you. My fingers are crossed!  
We read the posts from you and from jondfk each evening with anticipation!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JSC77 said:

My wife and I will be on one of these zodiacs in about 6 weeks and I’m very excited about it. And the trip to the North Cape. Thanks for your description and the pictures.  What perfect weather for you. My fingers are crossed!  

This has been a wonderful cruise JSC77--both in terms of what we have seen and the ship Ovation.  The crew is in top form--especially our waiter in The Restaurant (Crisitan).  If you want virtually flawless service at dinner, ask for one of Crisitan's tables.  The only thing is that his tables are in the middle of the restaurant--not my favorite location---but it is worth it in terms of service.  I assume everyone else is getting the same kind of service--but of course I cannot be sure.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JSC77 said:

Yesterday, our guide for the transfer to the North Cape told us that it is only two days a month that there is weather like we had yesterday.  Someone told us that for the two days previous, the trip to the North Cape had to be cancelled because it was too windy for the buses to traverse the road.  There was concern that the buses could be blown over.  I tried to capture some of the views while we were on the bus, but none of the photos I took capture those venues.    I hope you are fortunate to have the good weather we had.  Today, we are at sea with blue skies.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Yesterday, our guide for the transfer to the North Cape told us that it is only two days a month that there is weather like we had yesterday.  Someone told us that for the two days previous, the trip to the North Cape had to be cancelled because it was too windy for the buses to traverse the road.  There was concern that the buses could be blown over.  I tried to capture some of the views while we were on the bus, but none of the photos I took capture those venues.    I hope you are fortunate to have the good weather we had.  Today, we are at sea with blue skies.  

We’re headed there in March.  I believe they cut a passage through the snow and the coaches traverse in convoy, weather permitting of course. 

3 minutes ago, galeforce9 said:

We’re headed there in March.  I believe they cut a passage through the snow and the coaches traverse in convoy, weather permitting of course. 

We've seen film of the snow plow cutting a passage.  It could be absolutely magnificent!  We saw a awe inspiring film at the North Cape Center yesterday which showed us the area in the snow.  It was breathtakingly beautiful.  

• Like 1

Last night was magical--and that is not a word I use very often.  Before 11pm, many of the passengers gathered in the Observation Bar and out on the deck to see the Midnight Sun.  While it was too cloudy to see the sun at its most glorious, the views were still spectacular.  For me, the BESt part was that we were sailing around the North Cape--the same place we had been earlier in the day.  So, the large cliff you see in the photo below is the same cliff we were standing on midafternoon.  This means that we were sailing around the northernmost piece of land of Europe.  To be totally accurate, the most northern point is actually the land you see jutting out to the right, but to go to that point would take five hours of hiking we were told.  We stayed in the Observation Bar and out on the deck until well after midnight.  When we finally left, the bar was still filled with happy people reveling in the beauty of the evening.  As you can see--except for some clouds, it was a  magnificent evening.  The avid photographers were out with their big cameras.  I looked at some of the photos one of them had taken.  He had captured scenes with people standing on the cliff enjoying what we were seeing from a different vantage point.  My photos were taken with my Iphone.  

IMG_6013.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

IMG_5990.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 8

Today is a sea day.  We will probably take in several lectures and Mr. SLSD wants to attend the Galley Lunch.  We'll spend the rest of the day relaxing, enjoying the ship and doing some reading.  

IMG_6015.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JSC77 said:

Ditto here!  We go August 6th, really enjoying these posts and pictures as an appetiser for us! 

• Like 2

I am not much of a sweet eater, but I think one of the best sweet things on the ship is Grandma'a Cake.  I'm having my first piece this voyage this morning.  It is very moist pound cake with a bit of nuts and cinnamon.  

IMG_6017.JPG

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 4