Flight from Trieste to Miami

CruisingSince1982

Our cruise ends in Trieste on a Wednesday in July. I'm trying to find the best way to get back home to Florida. I would prefer to fly out the same day, but not sure if that's feasible. Everything I am reading is saying the airport in Venice is utter chaos. Am I better off flying out of a different airport to get home? Or even flying from Trieste to maybe Madrid, and then home from there? There is a 12:15pm flight from Venice to Miami, but I'm not sure we would actually make that. It is scheduled to disembark at 7am, but you know how that can go. 

Which cruiseline?  I was on NCL.  The first pax off the ship left at 7am; these were pax who bought the NCL transfer and had flights out of VCE before 1pm.  

It's a 2 hr drive to VCE, so a 12:15pm flight is do-able. Not much wiggle room though. It wouldn't be in my comfort zone.  

I've always found VCE to be challenging, especially with flights after12 noon since that's when the cruise pax descend.  I didn't want to end my trip with stress so I took the easy way out and flew home the following day instead!  My flight to London left at 6:20am; got to the airport at 4:50am and was at my gate within 45 minutes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

Our cruise ends in Trieste on a Wednesday in July. I'm trying to find the best way to get back home to Florida. I would prefer to fly out the same day, but not sure if that's feasible. Everything I am reading is saying the airport in Venice is utter chaos. Am I better off flying out of a different airport to get home? Or even flying from Trieste to maybe Madrid, and then home from there? There is a 12:15pm flight from Venice to Miami, but I'm not sure we would actually make that. It is scheduled to disembark at 7am, but you know how that can go. 

We went from Venice airport last month after a cruise ending in Trieste - but chose a 7 pm flight.  Busy, because it was friday but not chaos.  We could easily have got there for a 1 pm or later flight.  You could try going from bologna (which was our arrival airport, but we wanted to see Bologna.  You would have to go for a late flight - takes more than  4 hours by train from Trieste.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

Which cruiseline?  I was on NCL.  The first pax off the ship left at 7am; these were pax who bought the NCL transfer and had flights out of VCE before 1pm.  

It's a 2 hr drive to VCE, so a 12:15pm flight is do-able. Not much wiggle room though. It wouldn't be in my comfort zone.  

I've always found VCE to be challenging, especially with flights after12 noon since that's when the cruise pax descend.  I didn't want to end my trip with stress so I took the easy way out and flew home the following day instead!  My flight to London left at 6:20am; got to the airport at 4:50am and was at my gate within 45 minutes. 

Hi, it's NCL.

• 3 weeks later...

We did this trip last summer.  The flight from Trieste to Miami on Delta.  It left early am, before 7 am.  Our connection was 2.5 hours thru Rome.  We stayed in Trieste over night and had a very pleasant day walking thru town and had a nice dinner.  If you have the time, highly recommend you stay one additional day.

We also have a cruise that ends in Trieste and have wrestled with the options.  Our thinking is that we will likely rent a car for 2 weeks, do some driving in Croatia, Slovania, Austria and back into Italy and than fly back the USA from Milan (MXP) where we have quite a few options.  

If we did want to fly home the same day as debarkation (not our normal style) we would probably prefer options from Trieste.  VCE is not our favorite airport, and it is a pretty long ride from the port.  

Hank