Chat function on Celebrity app.

neversink4

4 minutes ago, neversink4 said:

Has anyone used the chat function in the Celebrity app? Did it work? Was it easy to set up and add members of your party? It seems like a useful tool while onboard.

Thanks.

It worked fine and adding people to a group chat was pretty straightforward. You can even add people not in your traveling party which made it nice to chat with people you may have met onboard. The downside is the notifications are sporadic. Sometimes they came through no problem and other times, no notification. I've heard that with iPhones, notifications are completely nonexistent. It's better than nothing and since they offer it for free even without an internet package, it's nice to have.

• Like 1

Agree with above.    The app most of the time never alerted me to messages and sometimes the alert was so faint I barely ever heard it.    When you open you phone you will see the message alert on your screen.    Don't expect it to work as well as iMessage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neversink4 said:

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know if whatsapp works on basic wifi?

In my one Celebrity Cruise, WhatsApp worked but I couldn’t send pictures. Pictures and videos could be sent through iMessage. 

Chat in the Celebrity app also worked, but notifications were unreliable. I’d get them on my work phone (iPhone 11) but not my personal phone (iPhone XS max). 🤷‍♂️ Also, you lose access when you’re off the ship. So if you make new friends and exchange numbers through the app, make sure to save or screenshot before disembarkation!

• Thanks 1