Incredible whale watch excursion, 6/3/23 Juneau, Harv and Marv (pictures)

cmcsharon

We went on the 6 passenger OB1 at 8am, on 6/3/23, with Captain Graham.  We were very fortunate to see some very active whales that morning (I stopped counting after 16).  Here's just a few of the pictures, it was beyond amazing! 

Jun3.jpg

Jun4.jpg

Jun8.jpg

Jun11.jpg

Jun12.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I've yet to manage to catch whales breaching like that.  That was definitely a nice looking experience.  Personally, what I'm curious to see this year is if I can manage to catch another shot of the same whale we've seen on previous trips - I've got photos from 3 trips in the past, and on each of those trips I was able to get a good enough fluke shot to identify that we saw the same whale on each of them.  It's been a few years since our last trip, so who knows, but I'm looking forward to the possibility.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 12:50 PM, Orange Yuzu said:

Amazing photos and thanks for sharing your experience!

We went out with Marv and Harv on June 11th and the whales were sleeping / slowly swimming and didn't breach. Probably because they breached so much here!!!

Breaching isn't very common to see. Obviously they do it often but being out there during the time they do it is rare. I have gone whale watching probably a dozen times and I have only seen it 2x.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 6:06 PM, gottagoacruzn said:

Will be there in Sept, but I don't think the whales will be, so won't be takin any whale watchin tours. Nice pictures.

I think they will still be in there in September. You also have Icy Strait Point as an option for whale watching and I think people are saying whale watching is better there than Juneau.

5 hours ago, Coral said:

Breaching isn't very common to see. Obviously they do it often but being out there during the time they do it is rare. I have gone whale watching probably a dozen times and I have only seen it 2x.

I guess they have been in a breaching mood this Spring. We saw similar on 16 June. There were three whales breaching a lot including a juvenile (much smaller than the adults). Then the juvenile kept doing it while one of the adults did some fin slapping.

Edited by new_cruiser

5 hours ago, Coral said:

I think they will still be in there in September. You also have Icy Strait Point as an option for whale watching and I think people are saying whale watching is better there than Juneau.

Juneau and Icy Straight are pretty close to each other. I think the whale watching boats from both go to the same feeding grounds so there shouldn't be any difference in whale watching quality. When visiting both ports, doing whale watching from Icy Straight has the advantage of freeing time for othe things in Juneau since there is more to do there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 3:39 PM, piper28 said:

I've yet to manage to catch whales breaching like that.  That was definitely a nice looking experience.  Personally, what I'm curious to see this year is if I can manage to catch another shot of the same whale we've seen on previous trips - I've got photos from 3 trips in the past, and on each of those trips I was able to get a good enough fluke shot to identify that we saw the same whale on each of them.  It's been a few years since our last trip, so who knows, but I'm looking forward to the possibility.

We go to Hawaii every year and have documented many whale flukes (put them on Happywhale) so we are excited to try to get some fluke shots this year and see if it could be one of the dozens we have seen in Hawaii. As to the breaching... it is pretty random, even in Maui. Some days you see tons of them, some days you don't. We are going with Harv and Marv in August.