Harmony OTS: Techie question for in room TV

I've downloaded episodes from Amazon Prime Video to my laptop (Win11Pro) and my iPhone (iOS 15.4.1).  I will travel with an HDMI cable and Apple adapter with M:Lightening to F: HDMI & Lightening.  Will I be able to connect to the TV?  Could I do so by casting instead of cable?

If you can give specific help, I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Will I be able to connect to the TV?  Could I do so by casting instead of cable?

You should be able to as long as you can physically get to the HDMI port (in some cabins it may be very difficult) and can switch to the HDMI input (you may need a remote). I think casting is limited to Odyssey and Wonder.

The short answer is yes. The physical power button on the TV (located on the bottom bezel on the lower right side) is also the input selector, just plug in HDMI and use the button to switch inputs. When done just remove HDMI, if it doesn't go back to ship TV just turn off tv and back on again. I still generally bring a universal remote with me but lately have just been using the power button as input selector on the TV itself on Oasis, Harmony, Allure and Symphony.

A word of advice...

If casting be sure that you connect to only your TV. On Wonder last week we had what I suspect was a "less techie" type of traveler. They connected their device to not only their TV but the TV in each room adject to their stateroom.

Fortunately, the streaming was Disney movies however this could have gone wrong if more adult content was involved...

• Haha 3

Physically and electronically you may be able to use a HDMI to the TV or other devices and not be caught.  However, just be forewarned:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-i-connect-devices-into-my-stateroom-television

Q  Can I connect a DVD player or gaming console into my stateroom television?
Guests may not plug any DVD players, gaming consoles or any other electronic devices into their stateroom television.

8 hours ago, Bead Pirate said:

A word of advice...

If casting be sure that you connect to only your TV. On Wonder last week we had what I suspect was a "less techie" type of traveler. They connected their device to not only their TV but the TV in each room adject to their stateroom.

Fortunately, the streaming was Disney movies however this could have gone wrong if more adult content was involved...

That actually was a scene in a movie.  It involved a phone that was connected to a bluetooth speaker on a table out by the pool, set at high volume for listening to music outside.  Then when the boyfriend snuck out of bed while everyone was asleep, to "view" something on his phone privately in the bathroom, his phone reconnected to the blaringly loud bluetooth, waking everyone.

The only "howling" will be from me, as I watch Newhart.  Never watched it, and just discovered all seasons and episodes are available on APV.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Physically and electronically you may be able to use a HDMI to the TV or other devices and not be caught.  However, just be forewarned:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/can-i-connect-devices-into-my-stateroom-television

Q  Can I connect a DVD player or gaming console into my stateroom television?
Guests may not plug any DVD players, gaming consoles or any other electronic devices into their stateroom television.

I appreciate knowing this, as I would have never imagined.  

I'm still going to chance it and howl.

Please don't turn me in!

• Haha 1

On 6/14/2023 at 6:25 PM, PWP-001 said:

I appreciate knowing this, as I would have never imagined.  

I'm still going to chance it and howl.

Please don't turn me in!

If you do get caught, you'll need a good law firm.  May I suggest:  Dewey Cheatham & Howe!

We sail often on many RCI ships and have never had a problem hooking up our Firestick to watch Amazon Prime, Netflix etc etc.

If you have any problems OP just ask your cabin steward to have an onboard electrician come and help you...have been told they do this all the time...don't worry RCI doesn't care about this any longer.