Grocery Store near Canada Place or Marriott Pinnacle??

We will be staying at the Marriott Pinnacle and I need to find a grocery store so I can get a box of cereal before boarding.  I would bring a box from home but I would rather not have to lug it around on the airplane.  We will be on the ship for 14 day and I have been informed that the cereal choices are not the best.  So, it is up to me to find an alternative.  I know some of the drug stores have some food items but not sure if they have what I am looking for.  Any help would be appreciated.

7 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We will be staying at the Marriott Pinnacle and I need to find a grocery store so I can get a box of cereal before boarding.  I would bring a box from home but I would rather not have to lug it around on the airplane.  We will be on the ship for 14 day and I have been informed that the cereal choices are not the best.  So, it is up to me to find an alternative.  I know some of the drug stores have some food items but not sure if they have what I am looking for.  Any help would be appreciated.

Right opposite Canada place is a whole food court which also has a pharmacy that is well stocked with large range of food choices.

not sure which ship you are on but we were very impressed with the cereal choices on grand princess in may. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

Right opposite Canada place is a whole food court which also has a pharmacy that is well stocked with large range of food choices.

not sure which ship you are on but we were very impressed with the cereal choices on grand princess in may. 

Thank you for your post, I appreciate it.  I know the exact pharmacy you are talking about.  We will be on the Crown Princess and I have seen on videos and told by someone who was on the Crown that the cereal choices are very limited.  The ones I saw on the video are options that I would not like.  We knew when we booked that we might encounter a problem but the itinerary was just too good to pass up.  I have to stop by the pharmacy for hair spray before we board so I will definitely be on the hunt for the cereal.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

The closest grocery store I know of is Whole Foods at the bottom of Robson about Denman. Probably about 3/4 mile from the hotel. I recall seeing a Safeway fairly close to the Whole Foods, when down visiting our son.

Best resource for downtown Vancouver is Martin  @martincath

5 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you for your post, I appreciate it.  I know the exact pharmacy you are talking about.  We will be on the Crown Princess and I have seen on videos and told by someone who was on the Crown that the cereal choices are very limited.  The ones I saw on the video are options that I would not like.  We knew when we booked that we might encounter a problem but the itinerary was just too good to pass up.  I have to stop by the pharmacy for hair spray before we board so I will definitely be on the hunt for the cereal.  Thanks again.

We stayed at the pan

pacific fir five nights prior to boarding so used that good court regularly.

As far as I know all princess have same menu and choices. We ate breakfast at the buffet every day as we wanted to be on deck or our balcony etc or we’re doing excursions etc. we both eat cereal for breakfast. Apart from a delicious Bircher muesli, they had dispensers with cornflakes, all bran and bran flakes. Plus a good amount of individual boxed Kellogg’s cereals, (including the granola which was one of the best I have had) Also weetbix, Rice Bubbles, wheat flakes, offered.

if you really have your own fav could you take it out of the box and put it in your luggage?

6 minutes ago, Cbtours said:

We stayed at the pan

pacific fir five nights prior to boarding so used that good court regularly.

As far as I know all princess have same menu and choices. We ate breakfast at the buffet every day as we wanted to be on deck or our balcony etc or we’re doing excursions etc. we both eat cereal for breakfast. Apart from a delicious Bircher muesli, they had dispensers with cornflakes, all bran and bran flakes. Plus a good amount of individual boxed Kellogg’s cereals, (including the granola which was one of the best I have had) Also weetbix, Rice Bubbles, wheat flakes, offered.

if you really have your own fav could you take it out of the box and put it in your luggage?

Thank you.  We have taken quite a few Princess cruises lately and the cereal choices have been subject to what is available at point of purchase for the ship when restocking supplies.  We didn't see a lot of consistency from ship to ship so that is why I want to be prepared.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

The closest grocery store I know of is Whole Foods at the bottom of Robson about Denman. Probably about 3/4 mile from the hotel. I recall seeing a Safeway fairly close to the Whole Foods, when down visiting our son.

Best resource for downtown Vancouver is Martin  @martincath

Thank you for your post, I appreciate it.  Yes, Martin is a great resource so hoping he sees my post.

50 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you.  We have taken quite a few Princess cruises lately and the cereal choices have been subject to what is available at point of purchase for the ship when restocking supplies.  We didn't see a lot of consistency from ship to ship so that is why I want to be prepared.

Ok that’s fair enough 👍

• Like 1

Update:  I found the directions to Safeway.  Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.  I will definitely try local first.  If that doesn't work, the Safeway is only about a 15 minute walk from our hotel.

3 hours ago, Italy52 said:

Thank you for your post, I appreciate it.  Yes, Martin is a great resource so hoping he sees my post.

Dang, between this and Andy's shout-out I'm really feeling the love! 🥰

First - good on your for specifying WHICH Pinnacle hotel, that's problem one sorted!

If it's a mainstream cereal that you're just picky about branding on (my wife would straight-up cut a b*tch who poured her Rice Krispies or Cornflakes that were not Kelloggs - I still have flashbacks to from the time I tested her tastebuds with strategic re-filling of a Kelloggs box!!!) you'll very likely find it in the big drugstores as well as supermarkets, so if you're touring around just pop into whatever you see (heck, check the local flyers if you want to see who's doing a deal that week - cereal has gotten mad pricey since the Pandemic! - and you have walkable branches of London Drugs and Rexall, as well as Safeway, Meinhardt [a weird urban version of Save On Foods], FreshCo, Urban Fare, maybe even No Frills (v cheap!) and Choices if you get across to Davie St.

If you just want 'shortest walk back to hotel carrying stuff but also likely to have it, price not really a factor' then Urban fare is your best bet - it's a full service supermarket that runs a wee bit on the pricey side, but not so much as Whole Paycheck. There's two these days, and Alberni is really not much further than Bute so whichever is closest to your dinner spot the night before etc. just hit that one up on the way back to the hotel.

Costco downtown - they usually only have a handful in store (last week I was in, Multigrain and Honey-Nut Cheerios plus Raisin Bran, I think Vector, and possibly Chex were on the shelves) but will be hands down the cheapest if you eat a LOT of cereal! Boxes are 'double family size', about 1.2kg/2.5lb twinpacks(!)

@martincaththanks for your post, I knew you would come through.  Honey-Nut Cherrios are my go-to cereal but on cruises I can only find Special K and I am fine with that.  Much like your wife, I don't like the generic brands as I never know what is in the stuff.  The cereal that comes from those turnstiles always seem to get pulverized by the time I give them a couple of cranks.  Thanks to all the generous people here on this thread I now have options.  We arrive at YVR around noon so I should have time to see out my cereal.  Many thanks again. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/23/2023 at 7:37 PM, Italy52 said:

@martincaththanks for your post, I knew you would come through.  Honey-Nut Cherrios are my go-to cereal but on cruises I can only find Special K and I am fine with that.  Much like your wife, I don't like the generic brands as I never know what is in the stuff.  The cereal that comes from those turnstiles always seem to get pulverized by the time I give them a couple of cranks.  Thanks to all the generous people here on this thread I now have options.  We arrive at YVR around noon so I should have time to see out my cereal.  Many thanks again. 

If you are looking for Honey Nut Cheerios or Special K both would probably be available at Urban Fare on Alberni St. which is about a 10 minute walk from your hotel.  The Safeways would be a fair bit further.  Another option may be the 7-11 on Seymour and Dunsmuir although I am not sure they sell cereal at that location.   There is also a Shoppers Drug Mart and Dollarama on Granville St., that is fairly close to the Cruise ship port, that sells food and snacks but I am not sure if they stock cereal.

• Thanks 1